Turn signal and additional lighting questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my headlights, reverse lights and turn signals yesterday. I used “plug and play” LED kits based on searching forum for correct part numbers. My front drivers side directional was out so I decided to do them all.

1. Turn signal was blinking fast and not working. Replaced both fronts, the drivers side is still not working. What else should I check? The fuse looks fine. Passenger side works perfect with new lights. Also, they don’t really click in,

Turn lights:

Amazon product ASIN B07V831WSG

LED's are polarity sensitive. Make sure you put it in correctly.

Thanks. Do you see the picture I included? I can barely get my hands near the light connector, and it is circular so I’m entirely clueless as to how I’d check this. I did see a + and - on my other lights but they had different connections.
I will pull it out tomorrow and hopefully I am missing something.

My only suggestion is to turn it 180 degrees and see if it works. My guess is that it will work.

Yes, Carolina's right...they're polarity sensitive. Flip them to the opposite terminals and see what you get. Also, make sure the copper conductors aren't bent or misaligned. That can happen as well.

Second thing to know is that LED draws WAY less current than filament bulbs. Therefore, turn signal applications require resistors to operate without the rapid blink. Do a little snooping around and you'll find out what you need to know.

Thanks, I’m fairly sure mine came with resistors, it says so in link I posted. Also, the one side works fine. I’ll try flipping today but I can barely reach the connectors so it’s hard to be precise.

There are a number of ways to get rid of the hyper flash.
1. Using a programmable flasher called SmartTap - you lose your DRLs, but gain other features such as programmed number of blinks or strobes etc.
2. Adding resitors - it works but negates any electrical benefits of the LEDS, the resistors create heat that the the original bulbs would have
3. Modify the stock flasher relay - this one is free and restores most stock functionality, but will probably not hyperflash if a bulb goes out anymore.

There are a number of ways to get rid of the hyper flash.
1. Using a programmable flasher called SmartTap - you lose your DRLs, but gain other features such as programmed number of blinks or strobes etc.
2. Adding resitors - it works but negates any electrical benefits of the LEDS, the resistors create heat that the the original bulbs would have
3. Modify the stock flasher relay - this one is free and restores most stock functionality, but will probably not hyperflash if a bulb goes out anymore.
Tell me more about the SmartTap. Last I recall they weren't compatible with the GX (the plug was different). Is there a new version that's GX friendly?

I have smart tap. There is a Toyota harness that does 8-12 pin adapter and you move one wire. Lose DRLs but the rest works

Yeah, you just have to swap one wire in the harness to a different pin out and it is golden. Been in almost a year. Worth every second and penny JUST for the 3 click passing tap feature.

The link that Dan supplied gives you all the info you need for the SmartTap. I love the tap to pass feature.

Thanks to Carolina and Dan for helping me part with more of my money -- the harness and smart tap are en route.

One last question...do I need to grind down the shunt to increase resistance with the smart tap? I'm guessing not and that the tap has it covered, but just wanted to be sure.

The grinding is only needed if you keep the stock flasher unit. And, with that mod, you can only run front or rear LED signal lights, not both (I tried it).

Smart tap doesn't care about front or rear though. Send it!

An update, still can’t get turn signal to work. I swapped it to passenger side and it works there so it’s not the bulb. I tried inserting it different ways too, for polarity, but nothing is working. Any other suggestions?
Take to dealership?

LED DRL and Flasher Conversion - No Hyper Flash - 12 Pin Relay Mod
This thread details a lot of the hyperflash info and fixes. There is apparently an adapter harness for the SmartTap that can be used.

Anybody have a part number for this:

5. Install a SmartTap LED relay module. You will need an adapter harness from Lexus to plug the 8 pin relay in. You will also have to lightly modify this harness. This method disables the DRLs. Thanks @Vlad for the details in the following posts.

My wife HATES the hyperflash (so do I). So I gotta fix it and the smart tap seems like the best option unless another option has appeared since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom