Turbo or Supercharge? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does scaled injectors mean you're injecting more fuel with every pulse right across the board?
no. It's a tuned MAF / Injector setup that delivers fuel based on air flow and the programing of the stock ECU. Look at the 80 series land cruiser MAF/Injectors and that of the twin turbo Supra (93 ?). basically the same MAF and Injector CCs but the Supra was a 3.0L engine. The 4.5L 80series setup was a scaled version of the stock 3.0L setup and was used to handle the additional air flow of the turbo's. Toyota did the same thing with the 4cyl mini trucks that were turbo'd, they were just using vane style meters and scaled them to 6cyl engines.

Because we are saying that a turbo or supercharger won't help as much as just ls swapping it if he wants actual power in a usable RPM
If you don’t tune it it won’t, most turbos on 80s in the US rely on the stock ecu and it’s terrible. Yes an ls torque curve is more linear, but you can make a 1fz make completely usable power. Turbo + intercooler+ tune = easy power just like any other inline 6 that people worship from the 90s

Looking to either Turbo or Supercharge but don't know what route to go, or the price of either or if I'm just crazy. I reached out to one shop and they're telling me "its a custom job over $10k" but I find that hard to believe but maybe it is...
just do a V8 swap and call it a day ...

Hey Everyone,

Just bought a RHD 1FZ w/70K miles. With the 35'' tires I can't keep up with traffic or climb city hills at a descent speed. With that, my gear ratio seems okay; (35/31.8)x4.1= 4.37 and I "think" I have a 4.88 ratio but couldn't confirm while under the truck, too dirty. But I have good torque off the line and on trails but slow as hell trying to accelerate.

Looking to either Turbo or Supercharge but don't know what route to go, or the price of either or if I'm just crazy. I reached out to one shop and they're telling me "its a custom job over $10k" but I find that hard to believe but maybe it is...

Any help would be appreciated!
Seattle, Wa

View attachment 3286704

View attachment 3286705

So, you still have that Camero donor car?
OH my GAWD! I've been found out! I fully admit that I harbor offensive MOPAR HEMI aspirations! Without being in the same room with a 426 HEMI, you have no ****ing idea. :flipoff2:

What V8 engines fit a 97 Land Cruiser.?
Just go for the best V8 engines around... LS; choose one that fits your budget, you simply cannot go wrong with any LS.
There is plenty of excellent info here (on mud) on LS V8 conversion just do a search.

good luck.

If you drive in the sand alot than don't use a turbo. 1 grain of sand can potentially destroy a turbo.

I'm considering doing a 2uz into my 60 series and I just plan on buying a complete Sequoia, slapping on an 80 series t case and being into it (hopefully) under 5-7k
I’m pretty sure you can’t run the 80 t-case. 100 series is what works

Im about to turbo my second 80. If you can fabricate its not even close to 6k. Last one had about $1500 and ran a cheap ebay turbo. Its still out there being as reliable as ever. New one is getting an hx35 I got for free.

All of them.
How much money?
How much time?
How much are you willing to modify?
It's a hard call just to get more power bc the 6inline I have only has 70k miles on it. The truck is super clean, midnight green, no paint fade, clean interior, etc. I hear what you're saying...gotta think on that. Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

Just finished my first full tank of gas on my Land Cruiser (97), with 3” lift and 35’s… mix of city/freeway driving and I got 10mpg… smells rich when I start. Should I be getting better mpg than 10-11mpg?

Hey Everyone,

Just finished my first full tank of gas on my Land Cruiser (97), with 3” lift and 35’s… mix of city/freeway driving and I got 10mpg… smells rich when I start. Should I be getting better mpg than 10-11mpg?

That's pretty typical mileage.

Mine was doing about 16-17 litres/ 100km, mixed use. That's about 13-14mpg.

Mine is a 5 speed manual and on 33s though.

Hey Everyone,

The only way you are going to do better than that is to go back to stock tires and ride height and toss everything absolutely not necessary overboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom