Turbo or Supercharge? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

and the 1fz's DOHC 24 valve design is nothing new either.
Again, 1980's. It was supposed to come out in the 80 Series originally but it got pushed back a couple years. Hence the 3FE bridging the gap for 91-92.

i have an 80 with a 2uz in it (bought it that way) and its anything but "bolts right up" lol. that thing is wedged in there and a nightmare to work on.
That's no surprise; there's no room in there with the 1FZ-FE installed. It just looks like there is.

There's little more room in the 100's engine compartment. Just try removing the alternator.

To get power with boost you need to get the rpms up and that is not always a good thing off-road.

Face it, the thing is on 90s tech. Go drive a throttle body 350 94 Chevy V8 and tell me how the power compares to the 1fz. You will never get the power of a more modern engine out of it.

I beat my head against the wall in the late 90s trying to keep up to the ls1 in my lt1. It just doesn't work.
The 1fz doesn’t make power until 3k anyway. And the turbos not for offroad. He wants it for street driving.

It’s not hard to make very streetable power out of a 1fz, it’s not like the OP is asking for big numbers. People turbo 1fzs all the time in Australia. Haltec makes a plug n play harness for a reason

Oh. And uh… 90s tech seems to make power for the drift community just fine….

The 1fz doesn’t make power until 3k anyway. And the turbos not for offroad. He wants it for street driving.

And it’s not hard to make power out of a 1fz. People do it in Australia all the time. Haltec makes a plug n play harness for a reason

Correct, the majority will be road trips across the country with a little overlanding along the way. Not looking to make this a true rock crawler. I get what everyone is saying about torque and how the turbo won't engage until higher RPM's. I still plan on going slow on the trails, just want more power on the highway. I'll be installing a wench and locking diff's as well.

It’s not hard to make very streetable power out of a 1fz, it’s not like the OP is asking for big numbers. People turbo 1fzs all the time in Australia. Haltec makes a plug n play harness for a reason

Well sure, it can make power just newer cars make more power.

lets take the 90s tech MKIV supra and compare. 3 liter, twin turbo, inline 6... man we are talking about something awesome right?? 4.6 0-60 and 13.1 1/4 in stock form.

now lets put that up to the new GR Corolla. a damn 1.6 liter that does 0-60 in 4.99 and 1/4 in 13.99

the top trim sports car from toyota from the 90s isnt much faster than a tricked out 4 door hatch back of today.

We could go and look at the current supra with 4.5 0-60 and 12.2 1/4

Correct, the majority will be road trips across the country with a little overlanding along the way. Not looking to make this a true rock crawler. I get what everyone is saying about torque and how the turbo won't engage until higher RPM's. I still plan on going slow on the trails, just want more power on the highway. I'll be installing a wench and locking diff's as well.
well gears help a ton. the best bang for the buck is to install the high range gear in the transfer case and get 10% better gearing. if you need more you can always do the axles. mine is sitting on 37s and runs 65 on the highway just fine but i have 5.29s in the axles and the speedo shows 72 while going 65 so it pulls fine.
enjoy life in the slow lane and take your time. its a great vehicle but if you want modern power you need to install a modern engine and at that point you might as well buy a modern truck. we got a gx470 to do our light duty stuff and LOVE it. just a great rig and plenty of power.

You're right, but you probably just threw every bit of $10k at his 80 for him

I still plan on going slow on the trails, just want more power on the highway. I'll be installing a wench and locking diff's as well.

Turbo for power on the highway.
Supercharger for power at low rpm.

Turbo is more efficient and doesn't draw power from the engine to drive it. but you'll see some lag at lower RPM depending on the specs of the turbo you choose.

Supercharger is driven by the crank, so it's running all the time. Good thing is, you get some boost from idle upwards. Bad thing, they use a lot of engine power to drive them. This makes them less efficient.

What year is your cruiser?
Pre 94, the EFI uses OBD, Post 94 they use OBD11.
The OBD EFI system won't cope with more than a few psi of boost.
OBD11 handles more boost.

Search Facebook for turbo charged 1fzfe

As someone said above, there's loads of them in Australia, and there's good info available if you can wade through the dribble on Facebook

Also search Sprintex Superchargers. Pretty sure they do a bolt in kit.
I think there's another Aussie supercharger market that has them too

Well sure, it can make power just newer cars make more power.

lets take the 90s tech MKIV supra and compare. 3 liter, twin turbo, inline 6... man we are talking about something awesome right?? 4.6 0-60 and 13.1 1/4 in stock form.

now lets put that up to the new GR Corolla. a damn 1.6 liter that does 0-60 in 4.99 and 1/4 in 13.99

the top trim sports car from toyota from the 90s isnt much faster than a tricked out 4 door hatch back of today.

We could go and look at the current supra with 4.5 0-60 and 12.2 1/4
Why are we talking about new cars? This is an 80 series forum

And why are we comparing it to stock cars? The OP is wanting to make his car, not stock

Why are we talking about new cars? This is an 80 series forum

And why are we comparing it to stock cars? The OP is wanting to make his car, not stock
Because we are saying that a turbo or supercharger won't help as much as just ls swapping it if he wants actual power in a usable RPM

OBD 1 for 93-94, OBD2 for 95-97.

the early engines can handle boost just as well as the OBD2 engines, the only issue is they use old tech (AFM vs MAF etc etc) so they don't have a plug-and-play ECU option to tune the engine for the extra fuel needed to cope with the boost. Thats it. So an OBD1 engine can receive boost you just have to do a stand alone ECU and change out and add some sensors.

Not sure why all there's all this talk of boosted fz needing to be wound up to make power cause it sure isn't true.. compare this dyno chart to a dyno chart of any stock LS1/2/3 newer LT or choose your small block flavor and see what you think. Keep in mind you are going to be comparing my power zapping full time 4x4 dyno chart to rwd only charts. Torque comes in right at 2k rpm and you are going to find similar for those V8's. This is on a lower than stock compression as well, not the oem 9.0-1 on 10 psi of boost with premium fuel.
20221111_101746.jpg

Has technology changed much mechanically from the 90's to today? Materials have gotten a little better.
Machining has gotten marginally better.

Being able to monitor and adjust to parameters is why you can buy a charger with almost 1000hp and be dead reliable.

My 40 eats up all my money. I'd love to build a cool 80, but I'm too poor for that.
I'd have no qualms about doing a turbo. But I'd want a full rebuild and get everything perfect as far as machining goes. You'd need cams, there likely isn't enough overlap in the originals to get the best out of a turbo. Making it much more driveable comes with very few sacrifices other than your soon to be ex spouse ruining your fun.

V8's should come with rainbow stickers. STRAIGHT SIX FO LIFE!!!😆

OBD 1 for 93-94, OBD2 for 95-97.

the early engines can handle boost just as well as the OBD2 engines, the only issue is they use old tech (AFM vs MAF etc etc) so they don't have a plug-and-play ECU option to tune the engine for the extra fuel needed to cope with the boost. Thats it. So an OBD1 engine can receive boost you just have to do a stand alone ECU and change out and add some sensors.

Oh, so you're saying the early EFI doesn't cope with managing boost well? :lol:

well neither will from what I've read, its just that the OBD2 system is more compatible with aftermarket tunable options.

I like my TRD SC just fine. With my Scaled injector system I don't need a standalone setup to regain my timing and have all the benefits and protection offered by the factory ECU.

And should the truck meet an early demise, I'll take the SC off for the replacement 80 Series, OBDII of course.

There is something to be said about true bolt on power adders.

I like my TRD SC just fine. With my Scaled injector system I don't need a standalone setup to regain my timing and have all the benefits and protection offered by the factory ECU.

And should the truck meet an early demise, I'll take the SC off for the replacement 80 Series, OBDII of course.

There is something to be said about true bolt on power adders.

Does scaled injectors mean you're injecting more fuel with every pulse right across the board?

Turbo for power on the highway.
Supercharger for power at low rpm.

Turbo is more efficient and doesn't draw power from the engine to drive it. but you'll see some lag at lower RPM depending on the specs of the turbo you choose.

Supercharger is driven by the crank, so it's running all the time. Good thing is, you get some boost from idle upwards. Bad thing, they use a lot of engine power to drive them. This makes them less efficient.

Search Facebook for turbo charged 1fzfe

As someone said above, there's loads of them in Australia, and there's good info available if you can wade through the dribble on Facebook

Also search Sprintex Superchargers. Pretty sure they do a bolt in kit.
I think there's another Aussie supercharger market that has them too
Its a 1997...I looked up the Haltec plug-n-plays, not a horrible price ($700-$2000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom