Turbo or Supercharge? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Everyone,

Just bought a RHD 1FZ w/70K miles. With the 35'' tires I can't keep up with traffic or climb city hills at a descent speed. With that, my gear ratio seems okay; (35/31.8)x4.1= 4.37 and I "think" I have a 4.88 ratio but couldn't confirm while under the truck, too dirty. But I have good torque off the line and on trails but slow as hell trying to accelerate.

Looking to either Turbo or Supercharge but don't know what route to go, or the price of either or if I'm just crazy. I reached out to one shop and they're telling me "its a custom job over $10k" but I find that hard to believe but maybe it is...

Any help would be appreciated!
Seattle, Wa

image_50418689.JPG

image_50771457.JPG

Hey Everyone,

Just bought a RHD 1FZ w/70K miles. With the 35'' tires I can't keep up with traffic or climb city hills at a descent speed. With that, my gear ratio seems okay; (35/31.8)x4.1= 4.37 and I "think" I have a 4.88 ratio but couldn't confirm while under the truck, too dirty. But I have good torque off the line and on trails but slow as hell trying to accelerate.

Looking to either Turbo or Supercharge but don't know what route to go, or the price of either or if I'm just crazy. I reached out to one shop and they're telling me "its a custom job over $10k" but I find that hard to believe but maybe it is...

Any help would be appreciated!
Seattle, Wa

View attachment 3286704

View attachment 3286705
So, your truck is normal.

Superchargers aren't made for it anymore.

Wits' End kit is not being produced and it's over $6K last I checked, then you install it.

Deal with it.

Whichever one you do, get a stand-alone ecu and tune it. I had a supercharger and it sucked because the stock ecu can’t handle the fueling properly. It would pull timing or want to ping on 91 in the summers. An intercooler and a standalone would’ve helped it immensely

And no matter what, this is going to be expensive to do right. Haltecs and Garrets are not cheap🤷🏻‍♀️

Like it has been said the domestically produced wits end turbo kit is basically no longer available, however you could try and import a turbo kit from HD automotive in Australia, you could also make your own kit like I and a few others have, you can also wait till landtank finishes their supercharger kit but that might be awhile.. I would expect a shop doing all the work for you would be over 10k for sure...

A 2UZ from a 100 series would be cheaper than a turbo or supercharger. And it bolts right in. 271-hp/315-lb·ft vs 212-hp/275-lb·ft

New marine models don't have smog crap or engine immobilizers. There was a Roadkill garage episode on this a while back; something about putting a 2UZ in an ancient Charger...

Rumor has it these are very popular in the Antipodes.

Whichever one you do, get a stand-alone ecu and tune it. I had a supercharger and it sucked because the stock ecu can’t handle the fueling properly. It would pull timing or want to ping on 91 in the summers. An intercooler and a standalone would’ve helped it immensely

And no matter what, this is going to be expensive to do right. Haltecs and Garrets are not cheap🤷🏻‍♀️

A 2UZ from a 100 series would be cheaper than a turbo or supercharger. And it bolts right in. 271-hp/315-lb·ft vs 212-hp/275-lb·ft

Rumor has it these are very popular in the Antipodes.
Thanks for that info, interesting that swapping the entire motor is cheaper than adding a turbo. I'll look into that!

I've had a supercharger on my 80 for a few months shy of 23 years.

If it were to do it again I'd absolutely go GM LS V8.

The project has been nothing but brain-damage for him since about day-3.

If your were looking for power you bought the wrong truck.
If you were looking for a long-term reliability and basic bulletproof ness you’re in the right arena

V8 swap is the only way to go if you want more power for the 80. Boost is fine for street, 1/4 mile and track stuff, for offroading, reliability if KING
There’s no reason why a turbo’d car can’t be reliable….

There’s no reason why a turbo’d car can’t be reliable….
To get power with boost you need to get the rpms up and that is not always a good thing off-road.

Face it, the thing is on 90s tech. Go drive a throttle body 350 94 Chevy V8 and tell me how the power compares to the 1fz. You will never get the power of a more modern engine out of it.

I beat my head against the wall in the late 90s trying to keep up to the ls1 in my lt1. It just doesn't work.

The 80 Series is actually 1980's tech. Think about when it was drawn up... They landed at dealers in the spring of 1990, as a 1991 model year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom