Tune Up Time, What am I forgetting? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I am planning on doing a tune-up on my new-to-me 1994 w/109K. I need to place an order with our friendly parts dude and want to make sure that I don't forget to order something. I am trying to have this all done before I leave for the summer (leave on 6/5).

Here is the list I have compiled from previous posts:

Plugs
Wires
Rotor
Dist. Cap
PCV and grommet
theromstat and gasket

Belts are ok, and hoses (including PHH) and fluids are done. FSM is already on its way. I am relatively inexperienced and hope the FSM will make things clear. Is this a complete parts list for a tune up and minor PM? Thanks

Ross

radiator cap
fuel filter
air filter

have fun!

I might skip the fuel filter, actually - they'll go a l-o-n-g time before needing a changeout and are fairly pricey. Like hundreds of thousands of miles here in the US where we have quality fuel distribution. If you do it, do a search here for a way to notch the filter screw hole before putting the new one on.

When you change the air filter, do not apply any lifting force to the large rubber tube that connects it to the engine. Completely loosen both ends and pull one end off to lift the lid, otherwise it will crack and you can add $90 for a new tube to your tuneup. There's also a dust cup on the bottom of the air fliter that will doubtless have 104k worth of crud in it because nobody (including Toyota dealers) knows they're there. I believe it points at the driver's seat on the air cleaner's bottom edge. Pour it out, then spent a few minutes with detergent cleaning it and the rubber strap valve on the bottom that's supposed to let water out.

DougM

Thanks

Thanks guys, I call Mr. Dan and get this ordered.

Ross

Belts are cheap for the 1fze,
I would throw new ones on and throw the old ones for spares in the back of the truck. Also I would test the fan clutch, You are probably fine on this at 104k but in my opinion this is the most critical part of the cooling system. and at around $100 it is pretty inexpensive peice of mind.
Dave

Measure plug wire resistance before buying new. They aren't cheap.

Check the front axle for weeping on the seals.....might save a few headaches down the road...

bk

Thanks for the replies,
I ordered the wires, plugs, dist. cap, rotor, air filter, rad. cap, PCV+grommet, and thermostat+gasket (thanks Dan). I am going to go ahead and replace the wires because I don't have much time diagnose their resistance. I also hope replacing the plugs (and wires?) will resolve a clicking (rpm dependent but doesn't change pitch) on FM stations (not AM) at the low end (<92). The weird thing about this click is it doesn't effect the iPod FM transmitter at these stations. If this doesn't work I'll dig into the dash and check the grounds. The front axle and grease are good, no seepage, so it can wait until August when I can do the front end service. I will be gone this summer and the cruiser won't be driven much, I just wanted to have it all base lined before I go.

Does anyone have a preferred brand of dielectric grease and copper based anti-sieze (thanks for the suggestion Doug) or will anything I pick up at auto supply store work?

Thanks again for the suggestions and help,

Ross

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom