Tundra - Plowing questions - (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.whiteriverlawncare.com
Several tundra questions regarding snow plows and model years.

I currently own a ‘13 double cab. BEST Truck I’ve ever owned. Question is: do any of you have first hand experience with snow Plowing with your tundra. If so, which plow brand and model are you running? Suspension upgrades?

I own a Blizzard 8100 power plow and it is over 950#. (on a Dodge 3500) Of course the plow manufacturer doesn’t recommend anything but a simple 7.5’ straight blade because they don’t realize how awesome these trucks are. (On paper, non-tundra folks think of it as being lighter duty than a Chevy 1500.). Would it be an option so consider putting this 8100 on the front of an ‘07 or ‘12 Long bed?

Second question: is there a year of Tundra to avoid? I saw where someone had opinionated don’t buy an ‘07. Stick with 08 or newer. Anything to that?

Suspension comparison: I know a guy with a ‘16 TSS or TRD that has a scoop blade Hiniker (800+ lbs) and he says it squated the front less than any Chevy he has ever owned, 1500 or 2500. No added lift required. But for a NON TRD tundra, would I need to beef up the front suspension to add the Plow? I just don’t know the differences if the standard Truck and the TRD or TSS suspension upgrades.

Currently I’m looking at an ‘07 double cab long bed, and this is what I need to mount a plow to. It has over 200K miles and that sorta scares me, but I think the price is right.

Off the cuff, what do you feel your 200+ mile tundra is worth or what price would you list it for sale? Higher mileage trucks are all over the map for valuation.

Thanks for your responses.
Jeff

@jfnall A quick search showed this:

"Good truck overall. The only model year to avoid is the 2007's.

They have an active customer satisfaction bulletin do to camshaft failures that were caused by casting errors from the supplier. It has only impacted 20 trucks so far. If the failure does occur Toyota will replace the engine and extend the warranty or repurchase the truck. Unfortunately, I believe this only applies to original owners, so that right there is a pretty good reason to avoid the 2007's.

There was a recall of over 15,000 2007's do to failures of the propellor shafts in the 4WD systems. There are also numerous issues related to the 4WD system on that model year and many owner's have complained of failures.

So, stick with the 2008's or newer as all of the 2007's issues were remedied in the later model years."

I wouldn't be scared by 200k as long as there were service records. I just picked up a 2008 SR5 with TRD package, 5.7L, 4x4, tow package, etc. I'd try to find one with 5.7L and the tow package (6 speed auto and trans cooler). Mine has 150k on it, but the car fax shows services every 7500 miles since new, a water pump at 149k, and I had the dealer lot agree to put a new rear main seal in mine before I got it.

I have no idea on suspension, but I'd assume the TRD package might not be a good option for what you are looking at as it is made for off-roading, not loading it down, but I may be completely wrong??

As for pricing, with 200k, you should get a good price. It's not uncommon to find clean, well-maintained, rust free, accident free, etc. tundras with 150k on them for $12-15k.

Thanks for the great info. Hadn’t heard the cam and engine problems. Also didn’t know the tow package included a trans cooler.

This guy is asking 9000 but I think 8K cash would bring it home. It’s definitely not what I would call clean, but for 200K, it’s not bad really. Haven’t driven it yet. Good info on the cam and 4x problems. The price is way under book value, (bank says 14500 retail and 10,000 rough trade). but if it goes south on me.... I’d be above book in repairs. And for an employee Truck, the lost revenue for down time is a killer. I probably will search for an 11-13 model year.

Still wondering about the maximum weight I should try and shoot for on a plow mounted out front.

Anyone know the specific differences in TRD and standard front suspension?

Talked to a guy plowing with an 08 TRD a couple days ago( i asked because my front bumper makes my front end sit a bit low) The plow was a big Boss, but I don't know what model. He said he put a set of OME heavy springs on it at the same time he got the plow, and has been very pleased over the last 3-4 years of running it. He said it's the best plow truck he's ever ran, zero issues so far.

Talked to a guy plowing with an 08 TRD a couple days ago( i asked because my front bumper makes my front end sit a bit low) The plow was a big Boss, but I don't know what model. He said he put a set of OME heavy springs on it at the same time he got the plow, and has been very pleased over the last 3-4 years of running it. He said it's the best plow truck he's ever ran, zero issues so far.

I’m not very familiar with front spring lifts. Would this best to buy in a kit or buy 2 springs and 2 shocks? I was priced locally $550 for installing 2 bilstein adjustable shocks. So while they are in there than just swap the sprigs too?

I’m not very familiar with front spring lifts. Would this best to buy in a kit or buy 2 springs and 2 shocks? I was priced locally $550 for installing 2 bilstein adjustable shocks. So while they are in there than just swap the sprigs too?
Yup, simple as that.

Finally pulled the trigger on the lift and beefing up. Went with OME Heavy struts and springs up front. It raised the truck 6” in front. Have PacBrake airbags in the back with stock shocks and can match the ride height I need based on weight. I mounted the Blizzard PowerPlow 8100 to see if the Truck could handle it. With the plow raised off the ground, the trucks drops less than 1” . I had to get 10 ply tires. Left the shop with 70 bags of ice melt at 3500# and the powerplow weighing 967#. Truck does great. Probably should keep the ice melt load to about 50 bags, But the Tundra is a beast! Plenty of power and love the tranny. Ride is really rough with no load. It’s about like my RAM 4500 for ride comfort. But I loaded it up to be a work truck, not for highway comfort. Here’s some pics loaded. The bottom of the plow frame mount is 9” off the ground with the plow up. And 17” off the ground with the plow not hooked up. This picture is 63bags in the bed. 3150#

4582842A-5291-4975-AB4E-B31FA7D804B7.jpeg
04DE12DF-A709-41CA-A118-F19737A2DFB8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom