Tubo Charging a 3FE at 220k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt1fire

SILVER Star
Threads
I've pretty much set on turboing my 3FE for the time being and then decide if I still want to do a diesel swap down the line.

It's got 220k on it (not much for that engine)
The head was completely rebuilt about 35-40k ago, PO I think had a stuck valve or something so rebuilt the whole thing, so the head is good and it has a fairly new head gasket in there.
I'm going to have the exhaust manifold cleaned and coated and possibly the intake manifold. Other than that the truck runs fine, other than a bad egr but i'm just going to desmog it and bypass that for the time being.
New exhaust will be put on with a new cat.

Should there be anything in particular I should look at?

My kit currently doesn't have an intercooler built in to it but that will come down the line after i've seen how it runs without one.

Go ahead and rig up an Intercooler right off the bat. Cheap enough, and great insurance against pre-detonation. That is the first step I did in my 3fe and Miata projects. Good luck with it.

Go ahead and rig up an Intercooler right off the bat. Cheap enough, and great insurance against pre-detonation. That is the first step I did in my 3fe and Miata projects. Good luck with it.

Planning on doing an intercooler just not right away..... got way too many bills, other projects on the cruiser piling up to add even the $250 it would be for intercooler and hood scoop.
My kit as it stands is complete so i'll run it for a little while (don't drive it that much anyway) and then add one around xmas time

How much better did it feel when you did yours?

look into water injection, on the cheap, 1 gallon jug ,fish tank rock filter, 5 feet of air hose and a 18-20 gage saringe needle, stuck in a vacuum line, works great. will help keep pistons from melting.if you do not have some kind fo fuel manigment ,would not do one without a intercooler or water injection, this is on my shot list of things to do so will be watching close, good luck, keep us posted.

No fuel management needed, the kit is set up very similar to akarilo's witht he rising rate regulator.

Based on my past experiences, I would not run a tubo without a intercooler.They run at too high rmps not to be cooled and the cruiser engine is already under hp for the weight of the cruiser. Mike

How much better did it feel when you did yours?

I've never not had one. I bought a good one (Cartech/ Begi) off of ebay, mounted it in the grill and rigged up the piping for next to nothing. Whole deal was around $100.

Grill-1.jpg

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/163559-can-you-turbo-3fe.html

Anymore on this?

Not yet, just bought an old diesel MB as my DD that needs some time and attention. It will most likely be put off till a winter project as the due date. Just need to figure out the intercooler or water injection thing.

theres not a good place to put an intercooler though.. or is there, if you run the turbo sub 10psi i really dont think you need an intercooler though

I have a fairly large intercooler that has a small hole in the bottom. Easy to weld up. I did run it with duct tape for a couple hundred miles... held to 7psi!!

Come pick it up in Raleigh and its yours.

I have a fairly large intercooler that has a small hole in the bottom. Easy to weld up. I did run it with duct tape for a couple hundred miles... held to 7psi!!

Come pick it up in Raleigh and its yours.

I'll take it, got some of the club members headed this way next weekend and i'll have them shoot it to me.
What kind of :beer: do you drink?

When you say kit what kit are you referring to? Something 3FE specific or generic?

When you say kit what kit are you referring to? Something 3FE specific or generic?

well it's 3FE specific because it was made for the 3FE with all the tubing and pipes, but it isn't a pre packaged thing you can buy from slee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom