92 cruiser- Battery only charging at 3k-4k rpm. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. My cruiser has this issue when I start it up, the battery will not start charging unless I rev the engine up to 3k-4k rpm. I replaced the battery and alternator. Does anybody has this happening and if so, what was the issue? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Hello. My cruiser has this issue when I start it up, the battery will not start charging unless I rev the engine up to 3-4 rpm. I replaced the battery and alternator. Does anybody has this happening and if so, what was the issue? Thank you in advance.
firing the parts cannon often works.
Have you verified the lack of charging via a meter other than the gauge in the cluster?
Could still be a bad alternator - wouldn't be the first to be defective from the get go, especially if it's a non-OEM remanufactured.

Resisting a joke about low ( 3 - 4 RPM)

firing the parts cannon often works.
Have you verified the lack of charging via a meter other than the gauge in the cluster?
Could still be a bad alternator - wouldn't be the first to be defective from the get go, especially if it's a non-OEM remanufactured.

Resisting a joke about low ( 3 - 4 RPM)
I thought it was a bad alternator so I replaced it with another new one and got it tested bu lt it seems fine. I wonder if there is a bad wire on the harness. Why revving the engine it starts charging is what have me puzzled.

What brand?

And are you saying the problem is still exactly the same as before you replaced the alt?
Alternators were both from autozone brand. Same problem with both of them. It charges the battery once it does but this problem is every time I turn off the engine and then on. I wonder if its worth finding and replacing the wire harness since I believe its a faulty connection maybe.

So at idle, you are reading batt resting voltage @ the batt terminals using a voltmeter?

So at idle, you are reading batt resting voltage @ the batt terminals using a voltmeter?
At idle, battery isn't charging and it shows it on the cluster gauge. Now if I rev the engine at 3k then it starts charging and I get the charging readings using the voltmeter. Its almost like it gets stuck at idle.

At idle, battery isn't charging and it shows it on the cluster gauge.
At idle, what does a voltmeter on the batt terminals say?

Now if I rev the engine at 3k then it starts charging and I get the charging readings using the voltmeter.
What are these readings - on a voltmeter - on the batt terminals?
At 3krpm of course.

Hello. My cruiser has this issue when I start it up, the battery will not start charging unless I rev the engine up to 3k-4k rpm. I replaced the battery and alternator. Does anybody has this happening and if so, what was the issue? Thank you in advance.
Lets start from the beginning here. Please use a multimeter, not the dash gauge.
After the truck has been sitting overnight, without the engine running and before you start it, what is the voltage across the battery terminals?
When you start the engine after the truck has been sitting all night, what is the voltage across the battery terminals at idle?

There are many folks who have had issues with aftermarket alternators and starters. Remanufactured Denso is the way to go.

Lets start from the beginning here. Please use a multimeter, not the dash gauge.
After the truck has been sitting overnight, without the engine running and before you start it, what is the voltage across the battery terminals?
When you start the engine after the truck has been sitting all night, what is the voltage across the battery terminals at idle?

There are many folks who have had issues with aftermarket alternators and starters. Remanufactured Denso is the way to go.
I can't remember the readings but I'm not depending on the cluster gauge. I know the alternator only charges the battery when I see the cluster gauge actually working. I have been stranded twice because of it. I still think it may be a bad connection. I thought someone had the same problem and found a solution before thinking on replacing wires or connectors.

I can't remember the readings but I'm not depending on the cluster gauge. I know the alternator only charges the battery when I see the cluster gauge actually working. I have been stranded twice because of it. I still think it may be a bad connection. I thought someone had the same problem and found a solution before thinking on replacing wires or connectors.
If you would answer Jonheld questions it would definitely help us understand and figure out the issue faster.

If you would answer Jonheld questions it would definitely help us understand and figure out the issue faster.
Will do. I already drove it today so I know 100% that the battery is charged, eveeytime I drive it I make sure to rev it until the gauge starts working because I know if the gauge doesn't seem to be charging then in a couple of days without starting it up, the battery loses its charge after driving for a bit...but will do it tomorrow and see what it does. Thank you everybody.

Thanks everybody. The issue with the alternator not charging the battery is due to a faulty connection from somewhere in the harness. I wiggle it and it starts charging so it makes sense when I rev the engine up, the harness must shake making the alternator to work again. Now I just have to find which wire is making a bad connection. I would like to replace all the wires if I can. It may save me a lot of time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom