Troubleshooting SBC overheating issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story, but I'll try to outline some good trouble shooting steps for cooling issues.

I have a restomod with a 383 stroker. I've dumped waaaaaayyyyyyy too much money in it and for the last y ear it's been running hot. The saga started when I charged the AC at a friends shop and it overheated on the way home. Another guy told me the AC was overcharged and that I was sitting on a bomb o_O . I had another shop discharge it and refill and they said if anything, it was a little light on freon. I asked what pressure it was running at and they said a good pressure, but it was climbing since the fan didn't turn on. Ok, I guess I needed a trinany switch to toggle on my electric fan. So, another discharge and I installed the switch. Since it was getting warming, I decided to make sure it was running cool before I charged the AC again.

The best advice I had at that time was to change to a mechanical fan, but I wanted to stay electric.

I designated a 3 mile "course" by my house, pretty good hill. I'd drive it aggressively to the top. The temp would hit 204. And then it would detonate.

Now I have some pretty good components in my newly rebuilt rig. Sanderson block huggers to keep the heat flowing out, billet true track with Edelbrook 8882 high flow water pump and a Ron Davis radiator with a high output spal fan. The fact that these components wouldn't cool my rig was depressing. All desire to keep working on other parts of my cruiser was put on hold indefinitely. I was seriously depressed.

In a last ditch effort, I decided to call Ron Davis and see if my I had a bad radiator. To my surprise, Ron actually called me back and we worked together for the next 3 weeks trying different things.

Once again, the baseline test was hammering up the course to read 204 degrees at the top.

1. Pulled off the hood to determine if the engine compartment was not passing air. Result was 203. No guarantee that the radiator and fan are not the problem.
2. IR temp gun check on the top of the radiator and the bottom. You have to make sure you're not temping anything shiney. You can add black electrical tape. I temped a 20 degree difference between the top and bottom. Ron said that's a little high and would like to see 10-15 degrees. At this point, we're pretty sure the radiator is cooling, just the coolant is not moving fast enough.
3. Hogged out an old themostat for the spacer but essentially ran with no thermostat. 202 degrees on the run. Little better, but not good enough.
4. Neighbor had an IR camera and we filmed the whole setup. He thought my super expensive stainless steel radiator hose with AN fittings were slowing the coolant. I tried a $100 experiment and bought a stock standard thermostat housing, radiator hose and Mr Gasket high flow thermostat. No difference, still hitting 202.
4. Did some investigation on the water pump pulley. Billet Specialties said the pulley is 70% the size of the crank pulley so is over driven very close to OEM. Edelbrok says the pump can run at 6800 RPM so I have some headroom. I still may experiment with a smaller pulley, although Ron wasn't excited about this option.
5. I talked to my engine builder and he recommend more fuel and timing. I was at 14.2 AFR so I kept making passes on the hill increasing the fuel .2 each run until I hit 13, I saw no difference to went back to 13.2. Same thing on timing. Timing made the biggest difference, and I was at 38 degrees advanced. I was now just below 200 at 199. Pretty good.
6. On a short trip on the freeway, I was creeping up to 205 and pulled over. I remembered that I set the Dakota Digital fan control to cut out at 50 mph. I turned that option off and now run with the fan on all of the time, if its over 180. Since it was also knocking, I back the timing back to 36 degrees.
7. I was about to go 4x4 camping and I was over heating again. The fan wasn't turning on. After inspection, I noticed that the cheap 60 amp breaker was turning off and on. If I pushed the breaker closed, it would stay on. So bad breaker, who knows if it had been cutting out the entire time. Replaced it with a 60 amp inline fuse and ran it that weekend. Ran fairly cool, but still knocked at 192+ when I was on the throttle.
8. Replaced the spark plugs with one step cool heat range. Went with Nkg UR6 plugs. Ran the hill again, with AC charged and blowing cold, 198. I'm also getting no detonation.

I think I'm pretty close. Close enough that I started working on other parts.

The neighbor had a great idea on verifying that my fan relay (and my fuel relay) are working. Old phone lan line stripped and folded over the spade connections on the relay. Then run the wire up the windshield and wire up LEDs. Obviously you'll need power on the ground spade LED, but all 4 lights should light if the relay is working.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel for anyone with a SBC who can't cool it. Hit me up with any suggestions or questions.

Get modern brushless electric fans. 2 speed. I live in TX. Have a SBC that did not cool with electric fans. Went mechanical. No problems since even with 110deg F outside. @cruisermatt may have some fan options for you to consider. Need to post pics of your install. Lot more suggestions can be offered knowing what it looks like!

Get modern brushless electric fans. 2 speed. I live in TX. Have a SBC that did not cool with electric fans. Went mechanical. No problems since even with 110deg F outside. @cruisermatt may have some fan options for you to consider. Need to post pics of your install. Lot more suggestions can be offered knowing what it looks like!

I'm confused, go modern brushless fans or go mechanical? Are you saying go brushless, cause I want electric, but you went mechanical? Are you running AC with the mechanical fan?

I had issues with Electric fans on my small block Chevy fj40, SOA on 37s. I ended up swapping to TBI and that helped a little.

Switched over to a mechanical fan and it ran cooler and no issues at all.

I know Ron Davis makes a good product but Fab Rats had a cooling issue in there FJ with a Ron Davis rad . They swapped it to some other brand and it worked

I'm confused, go modern brushless fans or go mechanical? Are you saying go brushless, cause I want electric, but you went mechanical? Are you running AC with the mechanical fan?
I would say mechanical all day! If you have no option to put mechanical fan, do modern brushless electric fans. The amazon fan kits are shaaait!

i see you have a TH400 trans also. how close to the rad is your engine ? I have a SBC and TH400 and my engine is Close I cant fit a electric fan

Here are some pics. I do have a th400.
Very little clearance between the water pump pulley and electric fan housing.

I would say mechanical all day! If you have no option to put mechanical fan, do modern brushless electric fans. The amazon fan kits are shaaait!
With my radiator cooling 20 degrees from top to bottom, do you think a mechanical fan will do better? Now it’s not 110 here but I am staying cool now that I have AFR, timing and plugs dialed in.

Thats a s*** electric fan. Had one of those. I ripped it out. I will let @cruisermatt chime in on electric fans. What’s your thermostat set at to open?

Have you actually verified what temperature your fan turns on?
200 isn’t un-acceptably hot for a SBC in a tight FJ40 engine bay with an AC condenser in front of it.
From what you described with your fan breaker I’m thinking it’s just not coming on early enough.
What are you running for coolant? Hopefully not straight water?

As Matt said verify your temps. 200-205 on a SBC isn't that hot. One of my 383 strokers idled at 205-210 degrees at operating and that was 10 years ago and still running strong.

Most radiator mfgs have a 20-40 degree delta from top to bottom and across the cores (Ron Davis, FSR, Mishimoto, Champion).

Coolant mixture as Matt asked?

Get a good temp gun and verify in/outlet temps running at operating temps and when fan/s come on. I don't trust any of the gauges these days. I've had Dakota gauges up to 35 degrees off, SpeedHut to 60 degrees off and Auto Meters --well .. I wouldn't even consider it a gauge.

Have you actually verified what temperature your fan turns on?
200 isn’t un-acceptably hot for a SBC in a tight FJ40 engine bay with an AC condenser in front of it.
From what you described with your fan breaker I’m thinking it’s just not coming on early enough.
What are you running for coolant? Hopefully not straight water?
I have both an IR temp gun and a borrowed IR Fluke camera. I've verified temp'ing near the temp probe in the intake manifold that the temp is fairly accurate. It's coming on at 190. For coolant, I'm using premixed 50/50 dextrol.

That’s good! Is that at idle? What’s outside temp? Any info on temp after decent run at 65/70 mph?

Lots of input already, here's more.

I agree, 203 205 is not bad for a SBC. It's curious it's knocking. It shouldn't really be knocking at 203 205. But then, I'm running MPFI with nock sensors and adjustable timing. I think that's why the one recommendation for TBI, it might be more of a timing issue than a heat issue.
Also agree on the fab rats thing - they were getting no real airflow through the fancy radiator they had bought - it was just too tight. They swapped to champion and got several times the airflow and solved their problem. That was an eye opener for me.

Hopefully this may help.

"Problems can occur even if the timing is only slightly off in one direction or the other. Some things to look out for:

• Engine knocking: Engine knocking occurs when the air-fuel mixture is ignited too soon in the cylinder. The mixture then pushes against pistons that are still trying to compress the mixture. This causes loud pinging sounds to come from the engine.
  • Decreased fuel economy: The timing of the spark plug is crucial during the ignition process. When this starts to happen at the wrong time, the combustion process is off. This causes your engine to use more fuel to compensate for reduced power.
  • Overheating: If the air and fuel mixture is ignited too soon in the combustion process, the heat generated will increase. This can damage different parts of the engine.
  • Low Power: Ignition timing that is retarded too far can result in the spark plug igniting the mixture too late. This can reduce the power of your engine."

As others have said 205* is not hot for an SBC. GM requires there stk fuel injected SBC's to run at that temp, so the engine runs at its most efficient operating range. You mention your running 36* timing advance, I assume that's all mechanical + initial advance all in at about 3000rpms, with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. IMO that's a little much. I'd look at some where between 30* and 34-35*. I suspect your knocking/pinging is from too much advance or possibly not enuff octane. I think you need to back off the timing to try and get rid of the knocking. Knocking and pinging can destroy an engine. I've done it in the past w/12:1 pistons and improper fuel. You're probably detonating the air fuel mix too soon. which forces the piston down too soon and as a result the big end rod bearing is coming in contact with the crank. If this continues over time it can easily spin a bearing.

Lose the electric fan & crap radiator, get a stock fj40 radiator ( not aluminum ) and build a good shroud, & get a mech clutch fan.

As others have said 205* is not hot for an SBC. GM requires there stk fuel injected SBC's to run at that temp, so the engine runs at its most efficient operating range. You mention your running 36* timing advance, I assume that's all mechanical + initial advance all in at about 3000rpms, with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. IMO that's a little much. I'd look at some where between 30* and 34-35*. I suspect your knocking/pinging is from too much advance or possibly not enuff octane. I think you need to back off the timing to try and get rid of the knocking. Knocking and pinging can destroy an engine. I've done it in the past w/12:1 pistons and improper fuel. You're probably detonating the air fuel mix too soon. which forces the piston down too soon and as a result the big end rod bearing is coming in contact with the crank. If this continues over time it can easily spin a bearing.

Just to be clear from my original post, the cooler range sparkplugs solved the knocking. I am running iron heads at a lower compression yet I am running premium fuel with octane booster. I have backed off the booster since I installed the cooler range spark plugs.

When I advanced timing to "cool" the engine, I was still seeing cooler temps from 32 all the way up to 38 degrees timing. I was getting too much (pre cooler range plugs) knocking at 38 degrees and backed it back to 36. At 36, and pre-cooler range spark plugs I was only getting knocking under heavy load at 3000 rpm. Post plugs, I'm not seeing that.

I'm running a Holley Sniper setup with EFI controlled timing. I do plan on doing some more test runs across all RPM and loads and listen for knocking. I'll be able to retard timing for those regions alone.

That’s good! Is that at idle? What’s outside temp? Any info on temp after decent run at 65/70 mph?

Ambient temp has only been as hot at 85 here in the PNW, so I haven't tested in the hotter weather. 65/70?!?!? This is short wheelbased 40 with KM3s, maybe after I align everything. :oops:

For all the comments about switching to mechanical or different radiator, I'm embarrassed to admit how much I spent on this radiator and fan combo along with 70 amp relay and dakota digital fan controller. I really need to exhaust all possibilities before dumping everything.

I'll also clarify, I think I'm 95% of the way there. I'm rarely hitting 204 degrees (reading from above, shouldn't be too concerned) so I just need to verify on really hot days, it still stays cool.

BTW, I think I do have a bubble in my coolant as the temp with spike occasionally, 185 to 205 for 3 or 5 seconds. I've burped it with funnel on ramped idling for 20 minutes. So I bought a vacuum to draw coolant in.

What is the compression ratio? If it's not extreme, then there's no need to run premium or octane booster. It maybe making things worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom