trouble tapping inner axle to birfield---Real time help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
Well.....I am playing hookie and working on the disc brake swap (84 60 series to 74 FJ40)....

I am trying to install the 40 series inner axle (long side) into my 60 series birfield. I lightly greased the birf but can't seem to tap the axle inside. The inner race and bearings on the birfield rotate when I tap on the axle. The inner clip has been removed.

What I am missing here....do I need to construct a jig or something?

Try

Try pulling the inner axle out of the housing and putting the birfield on outside of the axle, then just replace it as a whole assembly. This of course assumes you haven't already tried this. Sometimes installing a birf is just tough with the inner shaft in the housing.

WILL

27 splines...I counted twice just to be sure.

The axle and birf are out of the housing.

Do you need to compress the inner c-clip? Several threads on that.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am not using the cclip...rather the martack method. I can't seem to keep the bearings and races aligned well enough to tap the axle in. Probably just my inexperience.

sounds like your inner axle end maybe took a ding? if you have both sides out still try to interchange them and see if you can't come up with a problem inner and/or birf that might have gotten peened slightly:beer:

without the clip they should slide together pretty effortless given both surfaces are clean

Look at the end of the splines carefully. One may be nicked. Normally without the c-clip, they should go together very easily. With the c-clip, it's often hard, but still a superior way to run and locate the birfield.

Well i learned this little trick in Moab thank's to tim again, if you use the c-clip you need a small hose clamp to put over the c-clip to compress it so it slide's down a little and then you just tap it in to the birfield. and than your done....

kevin

The method I've had the least amount of resistance with is to simply place the birfield in a vice stub down.

insert inner axle into birfield

while applying preasure down on inner axle, work c-clip into birfield with a screw driver

takes all of about 20 seconds max:beer:

p.s. this method was available to myself here on search a little over a year ago:D:beer:

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am not using the cclip...rather the martack method. I can't seem to keep the bearings and races aligned well enough to tap the axle in. Probably just my inexperience.

Dudes, he's MarTacked:rolleyes:

Look at the end of the splines carefully. One may be nicked. Normally without the c-clip, they should go together very easily. With the c-clip, it's often hard, but still a superior way to run and locate the birfield.

This was the problem right here. I think the c clilp, upon removal, scored upon some of the splines....in the valley of the splines. I took a metal file to them and was able to tap the axle into the birfield. I am now trying to install the birf and axle on the drivers side....

thanks for the replies....very helpful.

x3.14 on tiny dings/nicks on the splines. I grenaded a birf in the mountains and spent two frustrating hours trying to thread the inner into the spare birf. Eventually limped home in 2wd and a bad mood.

In the shop under some decent lighting, found a couple of tiny dings on the inner axle's splines. 30 seconds with a thread file and it fit like a glove. I carry a thread file in my on-board tool kit now...

I got this axle installed with some help from Rabid on the board. Indeed it wasn't just my inexperience. The threads were nicked a bit which required a bit of filing. We also needed to tap it a bit, a little love, with a BFH.

I think the trick was cleaning out the nicked up splines.....for those researching this in the future.

Hell, I was there 15 minutes and was getting frustrated. You were there for a day and a half! :beer:

I had no idea that a few REALLY small nicks would make that much difference. Did you get it all buttoned up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom