Travelling Cruisers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks for sharing

We bought one hydraulic pump with 4 cylinders and 12V motor.
www.bansbach.de .
Lift is 700mm and 250kg.
The weight of the cabin is about 400kg with furniture, engel box etc.

Using a pop up would have saved about 100kg....but would not be so comfortable in stormy conditions.

I´ll show you some pics as soon as I got the car again here with me...

thank you, i am on their website now, and would appreciate the picture. it shows on the inquiry form that the max stroke is 400 MM yours 700 MM must be custom made? i assume you are using the ezmotion cylinders, which one did you use E, A, or the Z model? thanks for sharing :bounce::bounce2:

got a few more pics from a friend today. Iceland this summer...

smyril line, arriving seydisfjördur
1477892.jpg

lava roads
1477893.jpg

1477895.jpg

and water
1477900.jpg

1477902.jpg

Insane. That is one sweet custom camper cruiser.

drooling all over the keyboard....more pics of the inside please...!!! :bounce:

If you're going to Moab, I'm sure other Landcruiser freaks can drive you around or you can drive their vehicles! I think this is part of our "foreign policy" on this board. :D

:cheers:

x2 : more interior pictures!!

great rig. I'm already planning to copy it.... some day
Mine will be more suited to warm-weather than cold, but otherwise many similarities

Thanks so much for sharing

thank you, i am on their website now, and would appreciate the picture. it shows on the inquiry form that the max stroke is 400 MM yours 700 MM must be custom made? i assume you are using the ezmotion cylinders, which one did you use E, A, or the Z model? thanks for sharing :bounce::bounce2:
Sorry, answering so late...yes we used the A cylinders custom length up to 700mm was possible. Pump must be adapted. The electronic device was to complicated, now you have to hold on to the switch till its up or down...but so i´ll notice if something is inthe way.

I haven´t forgotten the pics of the inside, car is still in a friends garage...
Sandcruiser, what is the plan?

soenke:

I think that the j4 body on the 80 frame is nearly perfect!

I'd do an hd-t motor with intercooler on an 80 body with 4wd disc brakes and a full-floater rear. Either toyota e-lockers or ARB air lockers, to me they seem equally good.

I would change the camper section to have more ventilation possible, maybe adding a solar-powered fan on top as well (they make them for boats-- very low air flow, but constant flow so that the interior stays fresh). I would also want awnings that extend from the rear and also one side (maybe both).

For now, I'm just planning it. But Some day!!

Love your truck! It is beautiful and inspiring!

thanks millatruse,

sandcruiser,
the cabin stays fresh :flipoff2:, even when it´s hot, due to the white roof and the f/g sandwich and to the
ventilation possibilities: 2 windowas each side and one big sliding window in the front (emergency exit to the drivers seat) and the door in the back. Additional marine hatch in the roof.
So even during hard rain ventilation ist possible.
We love to sit inside, dry and cosy and still be able to hear, smell and watch the weather....the big door is sufficent for our needs, though one opening side would be great too. But it will make the construction weaker.
With a solar ventilator I would be carefull, it is noisy and rain and dust might penetrate....and the ventilation is inefficient, just open hatch or window;)

We mostly sit out side anyways....:cool:

awnings are possible to fix in the rear and both sides. We use this system to fix it (don´t know the english word)

this is sewed to the canvas
1506668.jpg

this is glued to the rear and both sides
1506669.jpg

maybe I´ll find a picture of a camp to scan..

Sorry, answering so late...yes we used the A cylinders custom length up to 700mm was possible. Pump must be adapted. The electronic device was to complicated, now you have to hold on to the switch till its up or down...but so i´ll notice if something is inthe way.

I haven´t forgotten the pics of the inside, car is still in a friends garage...
Sandcruiser, what is the plan?

thank you i am now is in discussion with them, they have a new cylinder called z cylinder that is what i am looking at. i am told it will extend to 612 millimiter (2 feet) i am glad you raised the issue of the electric pump, do you think it is wise to have an electric pump, will it be sufficient to hand crank it? how much time does it take to raise it by hand pumping? i am trying to be as simple as possible on my build less electronic the better.

thank for sharing :bounce::bounce2:

so now a few pics from the inside....

with roof down sleeping is uncomfortable but possible
1509884.jpg

left side with chairs and table for outside, kitchen, cooker for inside....
1509885.jpg

engel box in a drawer
1509886.jpg

right side with wardrobe (heatable for drying cloth)
1509887.jpg

and a smal sink, simple drawer system with boxes to take out quickly
1509888.jpg

table folded out to build the second part of the bed
1509889.jpg

1509890.jpg

1509891.jpg

underneath the bed boxes
1509892.jpg

witch can be taken out to reach the bottom....
1509893.jpg

Last edited:
The amount of thought that was put into the design of the 'camper' is absolutely incredible. Your fabricator is a true artiste, as well as an obvious afficionado of the outdoors.

It sounds like you put a lot of careful thought into your powertrain options as well. :cool:

How much of the design was yours, and how much the fabricators?

While the gussets on the front axle look very beefy, you have overlooked one of the weakest points: the transition from the main axle tube to the knuckle ball. This is not usually a problem for those of us running lighter weight rigs and/or smaller tires, but for you I would think it important. Having said that, I will also admit that I managed to break open the factory weld that holds these two pieces together when I was in Moab earlier this year.:eek:

There is a company locally called Marlin Crawler that makes a brace to span this area of the axle. It is really just a piece of metal cut and shaped to match the contour of the junction. You could easily fab one up yourself.

Here's a link to a pic of the knuckle brace: http://www.marlincrawler.com/images/karmor_mbig.jpg

I would be priviledged to accompany your rig on ANY expedition in the western US. Please notify me if you're EVER headed this way.

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom