Transporting 22RE engine for rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear All
1994 Toyota 22RE 4x4. I've had it since new. It's in excellent shape. The (2nd) timing chain guides recently broke and, in the process of checking over the truck also discovered the compression is a bit down in 2 of the cylinders and will, eventually, need a re-build. Decided to have the re-build done now.

I have the engine ready to be pulled from my truck and will take it to machine shop to do all the work.

Question - and hope it's not a stupid one ... can I just put the 22RE in the back of my other truck and take it to the machine shop? Any special considerations??

Thanks for your valuable advice

st

Build a box out of 2x6, on edge. 22re performance has the dimensions on their website,iirc.
Put a couple of 2x4 laid flat underneath to stabilize it.
Edit:
Just looked on their site and I dont see the dimensions,you can take a tape measure and go around the oil pan.
Or
Lean it on its side and strap it down.

Last edited:
Some folks just plop the engine in the middle of an old tire, letting the oil pan project into the hole in the middle of the tire. Works better for some engines than others, but might be worth a try. You would still need to strap it down to prevent tipping.

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Will give it a go with a tire and straps. Let you know how it goes!

st

The cradle also works if you want to make something. Here is my 3RZ in the back of a truck. This cradle was over kill, but it's what my 2FE came in. I just modified it and reused it.

20191226_132552-sm.jpg

Some folks just plop the engine in the middle of an old tire, letting the oil pan project into the hole in the middle of the tire. Works better for some engines than others, but might be worth a try. You would still need to strap it down to prevent tipping.

16BCD4AB-359B-4B0B-A643-3F1B0A037D57.jpeg

Thank you @pappy and @SMG for the photos! These make me feel OK about pulling and transporting the motor. This is, as you may have guessed, my first time doing this.

st

Interesting, when I've seen it done it's without the rim, just the tire.

So...I thought I had the engine ready to pull. I go to pull it...and it's still attached somewhere to the bell housing. I got the 8 bolts out. I thought I had everything. Are there more points of attachment between the engine and bell housing? Apologies if that is also a stupid question...

st

Starter?

Yeah...OK. Need to take that out too. I was wondering. Thank you.
Hopefully tomorrow will be the day then...

Since I'm in there and truck has 278000 miles...should I replace the starter? I've never had a problem with it...but...

Since I'm in there and truck has 278000 miles...should I replace the starter? I've never had a problem with it...but...
I would at least replace the contacts and plunger. A reman Denso is $123 at Rockauto if you want to go that route.

Hi @pappy removed starter. Still won’t separate from bellhousing. Do I need to remove the stud that goes into bellhousing and holds starter? There is space between bellhousing and block...but if I cannot get it further I will call towtruck... Thanks so much for your advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom