Starter Rebuild - Contact Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
I have no idea how this subject has not been discussed in this forum (no results on a search). It's common knowledge over in the LC world.

So, awhile back I bought a reman Toyota starter for my 4Runner, and about the same time one for my 2FE project. What was interesting is I had the same problem with both starters. When it was cold the starter would run-on when I released the key. Awhile back I bought new contacts and a plunger, and rebuilt the 4Runner. I did the FJ40 today.

Now I wish I had taken pictures for the group. It's well documented over in the FJ60 forum, so you can wander over there to get the blow-by-blow.

In a nut shell:

You removed the starter from the truck. On the backside of the starter where the two terminals are is a cover with three 8mm screws. Remove the screws and the cover. Pull out the plunger. Remove the contacts, and replace.

It's stupid easy. It takes me longer to get the starter out of the truck.

These parts seem to be rather universal to Denso starters. These parts are good for most if not all 22RE starters, and 2F/3FE starters. I would not be surprised if they work on just about all Denso starters. Do a Google search and you should come up with a host of other part numbers. These are the numbers that I know work on my 2F and 22RE starters. Parts will set you back less than $70 which is way cheaper than a reman starter. Shop at a discount dealer and the price drops to about $55.

Plunger: 28235-35080

Last edited:
When I rebuilt mine I used contacts from a tractor. Picked them up at the local Napa.

I would bet that waaay too many $$$ starters get replaced when all they need is this simple repair. Pappy is right, the hardest part is getting it out of the truck.

We used to put contacts in when I was a tech. On my personal vehicle I still absolutely would. FYI there are only a couple of different types of the contacts themselves. They are flat (no extension left or right), and ones that extend left or right. We used to just walk back to the drawer and see which ones matched what came out.

The only thing I would caution especially on an older vehicle is to check the plunger as well (the part that contacts the... uh, contacts) and make sure it's not too worn. All in even if you did the plunger it would likely be 1/4 or less of the cost of a new starter.

This isn't the 100 section. It's mini-trucks over here. I"m not surprised the 100 starter is different.

And my name isn't Sam.

Pappy beat me to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom