Transmission/Tcase equalizing hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello all,
I have an hj61. 12ht diesel. I don’t know if that makes a difference
Where can I buy one of those equalizing hoses? I definitely want the steel braided kind. And I think I need to 17.5”
I’m having opposite problem. My transfer case is overfilled. I’m assuming that the seal between the transfer case and transmission is bad but I assumed the gear oil would go the other way and overfill the transmission. Anyone have any explanation for what is happening in my case? In any case I think the equalizing hose would work.
As of right now the vehicle runs perfect. Just a slight drip from the rear seal of the transfer case. But I don’t want to run to problems

Hello all,
I have an hj61. 12ht diesel. I don’t know if that makes a difference
Where can I buy one of those equalizing hoses? I definitely want the steel braided kind. And I think I need to 17.5”
I’m having opposite problem. My transfer case is overfilled. I’m assuming that the seal between the transfer case and transmission is bad but I assumed the gear oil would go the other way and overfill the transmission. Anyone have any explanation for what is happening in my case? In any case I think the equalizing hose would work.
As of right now the vehicle runs perfect. Just a slight drip from the rear seal of the transfer case. But I don’t want to run to problems

I had your issue. Drained from trans to TC and overfilled TC. Hose does not work for this one - it’s a gravity thing. Hose won’t push fluid uphill from TC back into trans.

Oh Fu.....
So is the only remedy to replace the seal between the trans and TC?
How did you find yours? Did you also have a rear seal leak and so in the process of changing the seal when you went to drain the oil you saw how overfilled it was?

Oh Fu.....
So is the only remedy to replace the seal between the trans and TC?
How did you find yours? Did you also have a rear seal leak and so in the process of changing the seal when you went to drain the oil you saw how overfilled it was?

I noticed notchy shifts on the trans and went to replace all driveline fluids. Got a little soaked when cracked the TC fill plug. Here is what my seal looked like when I went in for a TC rebuild to remedy.

2035D63C-82F6-4B19-883B-A09BC320FDBF.jpeg

Yup thats a complete seal failure.
I guess that’s what I have to do.
I feel super lucky because I haven’t noticed any drive issues, except the occasional grind going into reverse cuz I think the clutch is going.
Maybe I should clutch when I do seal....
🤔😩😬

I realize fixing the seal is the true solution. However as far as the gravity issue couldn’t you use an oil pump? Maybe even add a trans/TC cooler with it. Output from TC drain. Through pump and cooler and back into trans fill.

Are these still for sale?

I suggest buying a rebuild kit for the t-case and just plan on doing it sooner than later.

You could probably drain and top up for a bit, but there is no magical solution.

Yup definitely going to buy the rebuild kit. Had one idea – can you remove the PTO cover and check the input seal from there? I think you probably can. One of the large gears may be in the way but you might be able to use a scope?

In the next week or so I will be ordering some more hoses. I do have both sizes in stock now.

If you need a size other than the stock sizes of 12.75” and 17.5” Center of Banjo bolt to center of Banjo Bolt, now would be a good time to order. If you order a non standard size alone my vendor charges almost double. If you have a non stock set up and want these teflon heat resistant hoses with a Stainless Steel braided outer sleeve please do it with this order.

PM me if your interested.

Use a rope or electric extension cord so its stays rigid. Measure center of plug to center of plug. The standard for Toyota plugs on transmission and transfer case is M18x1.5. If yours is a pipe thread youll have to get an adapter as banjo bolts are not made in pipe threads because of the taper of the thread. Ebay has the 1/2 pipe to M18x1.5 adaptors.

Not sure if a PO retapped your plug holes? Hold a straight edge to the side of your plug if its has an angle its pipe.

PM if you have questions. Ive seen a lot of different things PO’s have done and can help you figure a solution.

Ive sold over 400 hoses to cruiser heads. Yep replacing seal is the fix. But did the guy rebuilding your case put the case back together with grooves in the shaft from where the seal rides? The hose is just cheap insurance and the stainless steel braided hose resist the heat from the exhaust pipe that runs close to the hose.

Just ordered - trans was overfilled and the t case took too much oil on the refill. I hate to think I of what I was putting my t case through when all that oil had pushed to the transmission.

excited to not have to drop the trans + t case....yet. And will reinstall the hose after I rebuild.

Hey I’m just catching up with this thread. I’ve had my 40 since 1980 and chances are I could use one of your devices, if you have any still on hand. Thanks

Mine arrived today. Quality looks great . Shipmag is great to deal with . Very easy transaction and fast shipping!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom