Transmission Oil Cooler - What are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thedoughboy

SILVER Star
Threads
My oil cooler has taken a beating the past 315,000 miles :hillbilly:. From bugs to rocks, it has seen it all. As a PM I'd like to swap it out prior to some catastrophic leak in the middle of nowhere. It looks like the OEM part is discontinued. So, what are you using to replace it?

As always, thanks in advance!

I swapped mine out with a lower mile stock unit.

If you can't find a OEM one I'd look at a Tru-Cool (you'll have to look a the sizes to see what will fit in the 80).

Last year I installed one of these on my Powerstroke 7.3 and the transmission temp is rarely over 175F (even when loaded with my slide in camper). Unloaded it rarely goes over 155F.

No haven't used it, just a link to a shop that rebuilds transmissions in Australia that has a lot of experience in how to keep transmissions cool. You might could contact them for details.

Seconding @uscmas412 above: Does anyone have precise measurements for the stock tranny oil cooler?

EDIT: 10w x 13-1/2h x 1-1/2d.

How about experience with Derale or Earl's Performance coolers?

Last edited:
Bump...about to replace my leaking soft lines. Anyone find a direct replacement that's not $600? I'll probably just go the refurb route if not.

I run a Derale 1000 series 13403 stacked plate cooler. It is smaller than stock and have a good exchange rate.
Tranny temp is 140-160F on highway .

20240110_143831.jpg

I don't know if they offer any direct replacement options, but I have a Hayden oil cooler that I run on my shop air compressor and it seems to be well made. They offer a lot of "universal" stuff and I'm pretty sure they offer some options that would work.

If the transmission cooler on my 80 ever needs replacement I'd put a Trucool on there. Not sure what size specificially but there are plenty of options. If I recall correctly it was around $150.
Tru-Cool Transmission and Engine Coolers: Protect Your Vehicle. Save Your Money. | Tru-Cool - https://www.trucool.com/EN/Products.aspx

I put one on my old truck (97 F350 7.3 Powerstroke) and even fully loaded with the camper going up and down the mountains the transmission stays below 170F. Unloaded it stays in the 140-155F range.

1705681857348.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom