Transmission Cooling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need suggestions for better transmission cooling.
- 96 1KZ-TE with A343F AT.
- B&M 13,000 BTU trans cooler connected after the rad (i.e. trans outlet - rad - cooler - trans inlet). It's installed in front of the rad.
- 7" fan on the trans cooler blowing air at it
- Synthetic ATF

I find that I am still sometimes running too hot when when climbing up a long hill or wheeling. Last weekend I went about 2-3km up a logging road, climbing up about 400m, going no faster than 30 km/h. I was in 2WD the whole time. My trans temp climbed to 121C (250F), which I thought was way too high and stopped. The ATF temp light did not go on.

Any thoughts why it's doing that and what else I can do to keep it cool?

I've towed my 5000lb travel trailer up 7% grades in 2nd and only got to 225f or so in my fzj with an a442 with the stock cooler. Something is out of whack. Have you checked flow though it? Like disconnected it and ran a hose to a container? Should fill a 4L container in like 10seconds.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure about that. I believe they are known to run hotter than the 343s. Regardless, you shouldn't be having temp issues working it that hard. I wouldn't take anything for granted and check the flow. Perhaps the pan filter is clogging and limiting flow?

Kind of unrelated, but if you've got an aftermarket cooler I'd bypass the rad completely to eliminate the "pink milkshake" potential.

Climbing a grade with the torque convertor unlocked is going to generate heat, no way around that. I would agree that you should be checking flow of ATF through the cooler, it sounds like you've done about everything else possible to keep temps in check.

Is this happening in low range?

gb

I find that I am still sometimes running too hot when when climbing up a long hill or wheeling. Last weekend I went about 2-3km up a logging road, climbing up about 400m, going no faster than 30 km/h. I was in 2WD the whole time. My trans temp climbed to 121C (250F), which I thought was way too high and stopped. The ATF temp light did not go on.

+1 to completely bypassing the radiator in order to avoid cross contamination, very common issue with our Ford Falcons here in Australia. Are you able to get a hold of a larger/more efficient trans cooler and fan? If she's running that hot would it be unreasonable to mount a second trans cooler & fan somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom