transfer case refurbish (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So as I wait for my tires, gears, and lockers to arrive, I'm trying to think of things to do in order to get the truck ready for the meet in June. It currently has a little over 315K on it so head gasket is obvious. No issues that I've noticed with the transfer case but figured since the driveshafts would be out now's the time to freshen up other things. Anything I should consider replacing in the transfer case besides seals and fluid?

At a minimum I would do the low range gears and both front and rear output bearings. Beyond that, I would just replace after thorough inspection.

FYI, For the front output shaft I had to extend my puller to give it enough reach into the space. Other than that both the front and rear aren’t too bad if you have the right tools
ED4BC01B-10AA-41E8-8412-41F2F49936E3.png

Oh yeah, you also have to remove the transfer case from the truck to be able to remove the front output shaft cone. :bang:

Awesome tips guys. Thanks!

How's your cupholder situation? :flipoff2:

FYI, For the front output shaft I had to extend my puller to give it enough reach into the space. Other than that both the front and rear aren’t too bad if you have the right tools View attachment 2637588

That is simple genius right there! Very smart, good job.

Are there leaking seals on the TC? Is it giving you problems?

I guess I question the need to do anything but a fluid drain and refill. The Land Cruiser TC is pretty darn tough and usually long-lived without any more intervention than that.

Are there leaking seals on the TC? Is it giving you problems?

I guess I question the need to do anything but a fluid drain and refill. The Land Cruiser TC is pretty darn tough and usually long-lived without any more intervention than that.
Nope nothing that I have found. I'm ok going this route too but just figured if the drive shafts were out anyway....

Kind of a minor thing but check your breather tube and possibly re-route. I have to check the FSM a little closer but looks to combine with the transfer case back at the dip stick. I was digging around and noticed mine was split and hanging off at the small T at the transfer case the other day... Not many river crossings lately but good way to contaminate not just the T case but the tranny at the same time apparently...

Some minor items to replace while you're in there are...
Shift lever seal 90310-16001
Speedo seal 903310-09001
Speedo o-ring 96711-24030

Last edited:
chap79: which size/length steel bars did you use to extend your puller and where did you buy it, Lowes's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom