Transfer case output spline wear? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been chasing a loud whine in transfer case along with a fair bit of slop/lash. I just started pulling it apart and it appears that the output gear splines are pretty loose on the shaft. I have heard that the output gears and bearings are not supposed to be tight on the output shaft, but this seems different. Can anyonne comment on whether or not this is acceptable? I've heard of this type of movement due wear on the input gear, but not on the output. Thanks!

To my understanding that’s okay.

I’m not sure though.

Firstly the output gear doesn't have splines, it's driven by the hi-low dog collar. They are about $45 new and I always check for play in them when doing a rebuild.
That being said they do have some, even on a completely brand new case.

Secondly that gear in your videos is the low speed output gear, is your case sifted into Low when you filmed that? If not, then the dog collar isn't engaging that gear to the output shaft.

6A49F2A4-0098-4CA0-9DD3-9D7FEB5A21E7.jpeg

24D5E26C-CE51-4751-BB1D-42E95F0DC504.jpeg

Last edited:
Firstly the output gear doesn't have splines, it's driven by the hi-low dog collar. They are about $45 new and I always check for play in them when doing a rebuild.
That being said they do have some even on a completely brand new case.

Secondly that gear in your videos the low speed output gear, is your case sifted into Low when you filmed that? If not, then the dog collar isn't engaging that gear to the output shaft.

View attachment 3452293

View attachment 3452294
What Matt said is spot on. Another thing you should check is the output preload. Put the output cover back on, torque it and follow the steps in the FSM. You can also pull the input cover and verify the stake nut is still locked in where it should be. Lastly, I’d pull the PTO cover and do a visual on the gears as you slowly roll the output shaft. there’s a spec on thrust play on the idler gear that can be checked via the PTO opening as well.

IMG_2492.jpeg

IMG_2493.jpeg

That being said they do have some even on a completely brand new case.

Secondly that gear in your videos is the low speed output gear, is your case sifted into Low when you filmed that? If not, then the dog collar isn't engaging that gear to the output shaft.

View attachment 3452293

View attachment 3452294
Thanks for setting me straight, very helpful. I believe it was in high when it was filmed which makes sense with what you are saying.

What Matt said is spot on. Another thing you should check is the output preload. Put the output cover back on, torque it and follow the steps in the FSM. You can also pull the input cover and verify the stake nut is still locked in where it should be. Lastly, I’d pull the PTO cover and do a visual on the gears as you slowly roll the output shaft. there’s a spec on thrust play on the idler gear that can be checked via the PTO opening as well.

View attachment 3452299

View attachment 3452300
I'll check it out. I have done everything you describe except checking idler/thrust washer clearance. Will check that out this afternoon. Thanks for the tips and FSM reference!

I'll check it out. I have done everything you describe except checking idler/thrust washer clearance. Will check that out this afternoon. Thanks for the tips and FSM reference!

How many miles on your transfer case? Original bearings or no? Typically whining noise is going to be from worn bearings or gear set.

How many miles on your transfer case? Original bearings or no? Typically whining noise is going to be from worn bearings or gear set.
About 200k mi on the case. Bearings are fresh. It was rebuilt ~10k mi ago with a new input gear and new H55f in front of it. It whined before the rebuild and I expected it to fix the whine, but there was no change. I think the new gear could cause some noise, but the whine is exactly the same as before the rebuild, so I doubt it is that. Figured it could be the rear diff piping the noise up the DS, so I had that inspected, but it was confirmed to be the transfer case.

The whine is really loud. It's loudest thing in the cab (despite dynamat in the floor and ceiling), so I'm very motivated to solve it.

You should listen to the video in this thread and compare. So far no (posted) resolution on this one.

If a gearbox (TSM, TFR, DIFF) runs low on oil long enough sometime in its life, the gear faces (contact area) can wear to the point where the contact patch gets flatter and bigger. When this happens, the gear pair can be noisy for the rest of their life.

It’s really common in differentials that ran low of oil for too long. They can get really noisy afterwards- forever, though are ok to still use.

If a gearbox (TSM, TFR, DIFF) runs low on oil long enough sometime in its life, the gear faces (contact area) can wear to the point where the contact patch gets flatter and bigger. When this happens, the gear pair can be noisy for the rest of their life.

It’s really common in differentials that ran low of oil for too long. They can get really noisy afterwards- forever, though are ok to still use.
Yeah that's possible given some of the other stuff the PO did to the truck. When I get the case open I'll post some photos of the teeth. Is this something that can be inspected visually?

Maybe a good excuse for a regear ;)

Yeah that's possible given some of the other stuff the PO did to the truck. When I get the case open I'll post some photos of the teeth. Is this something that can be inspected visually?

Maybe a good excuse for a regear ;)
hard to beat brand new gears. Did this on my 60 last summer as well as another friends 60.

Finally got the case split today. I think I found the culprit of the whine.
71885093267__488841CE-8BB9-4B7C-A14A-67E930B3B991.jpg

The teeth on the idler gear that interfaces with the input appear to be pretty worn. Perhaps if the input gear moved a lot because of worn splines, it could wear the teeth like this. The other gears look okay, bearings, idler shaft, etc. all look great.

Any opinions on these teeth?

Finally got the case split today. I think I found the culprit of the whine.
View attachment 3454377
The teeth on the idler gear that interfaces with the input appear to be pretty worn. Perhaps if the input gear moved a lot because of worn splines, it could wear the teeth like this. The other gears look okay, bearings, idler shaft, etc. all look great.

Any opinions on these teeth?
That idler gear looks rough. Here’s a shot zooming in on the brand new one I put in my case back in June. Good news is all these gears are available and with a new bearing/gasket & seal kit you’ll be on your way.
IMG_2569.png

New input gear (definitely upgrade to the long-spline version if you haven't already) and idler gear should definitely quiet that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom