Transfer case shifting (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While trying to figure out a T-case shifter bracket from my 4L80 to T-case I'm now questioning how the H-N-L operates. I see if you do a twin stick you need a different 2h-4h shift rod but wondering why? How does it affect the H-N-L shift lever? I can move the H_N_L lever no matter what position the 2wd-4wd lever is in?

While trying to figure out a T-case shifter bracket from my 4L80 to T-case I'm now questioning how the H-N-L operates. I see if you do a twin stick you need a different 2h-4h shift rod but wondering why? How does it affect the H-N-L shift lever? I can move the H_N_L lever no matter what position the 2wd-4wd lever is in?
If you do twin sticks you will still need a bracket to bolt that to the side of the transmission. Do you have Instagram? I replied to your other thread about your shifter bracket for the 4l80e I think I have pictures on my Instagram of the bracket I made and a video of it working. When I made it I had a mock up 4l80e transmission that I did the bracket off of.

Oh the shift rod replaces the rod inside the transfer case if that is the one you are talking about.

H-N-L and 2WD-4WD are two separate shift points on the transfer case.

The 2WD-4WD pulls a rod/fork that engages the front output. Front to rear of the vehicle shift path.

The H-N-L moves a lever on top of the transfer case which selects high and low range (with neutral between). This is a left to right shift path.

You technically can shift into 2WD Lo, but Mr. T has a bracket on the transmission which blocks that shift path. Some have done to “2Lo mod” which you just cut part of the bracket off and voila.

Most people go twin sticks when swapping to a non-Toyota transmission because the stock shifter won’t work anyway (it has a pivot point on the H series transmission).

HTH

What I am trying to decipher, is why a person needs to replace anything internally to use twin sticks, when you can shift into Low in 2wd anyways??

What I am trying to decipher, is why a person needs to replace anything internally to use twin sticks, when you can shift into Low in 2wd anyways??
I’m unaware of any internal modifications to install twin sticks.

Oh the shift rod replaces the rod inside the transfer case if that is the one you are talking about.
Is this the pic of your setup?

transfer case shifter linkage.jpeg

If you do twin sticks you will still need a bracket to bolt that to the side of the transmission. Do you have Instagram? I replied to your other thread about your shifter bracket for the 4l80e I think I have pictures on my Instagram of the bracket I made and a video of it working. When I made it I had a mock up 4l80e transmission that I did the bracket off of.
I do have instagram. jason69ss

No looks familiar tho maybe mistofregan motorsports. Think he did something like that. Plus I had a spacer made to put the tcase further back for driveshaft clearance and no cutting of the transmission output shaft.
It's a little late for a spacer....already cut output shaft, installed adapter and case, had new driveshafts built

This the landcruiser in question? I think a customer of mine was going to buy it years ago ?

Screenshot_20240101_191845_Chrome.jpg

Aluminum LS1, forged rods and pistons, 799 heads, should make 425hp. 135k original miles, SUPER clean inside and out. Will be for sale when completed, she has decided she wants an 80 now like mine.

IMG_3001 (1).JPG

Last edited:
NICE bull. That shed up there through me for a loop at first glance.
That shed is actually from that bull, found it about two weeks before I found him! You can tell easily by the palmation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom