Transfer Case Output Shaft Free Play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

Going back over my 3 speed TC while I have it out. Checking preload. I have braking drum and speedometer housing off the back as seen below. I have in-and-out free play on the output shaft. Is this normal? Is seems like it should be tighter, but I did not know in the shims eliminate the issue.

807E1160-61C2-464D-A5E9-226BE2F9A544.jpeg

Think I found my answer:

Yep, "In and out play" is no bueno.

The output shaft preload is set by shims between the speedo housing and the rear bearing. Are you checking it without the speedo housing installed? It's meaningless without the speedo housing in place.

The output shaft preload is set by shims between the speedo housing and the rear bearing. Are you checking it without the speedo housing installed? It's meaningless without the speedo housing in place.

No, I understand that everything needs to be in place to measure preload.

Looking through the transfer case top cover, the shaft/gear assembly and parts are correct (I thought I might have forgot a washer). Maybe I just need to further drive in my rear bearing cup? There is a gap between the rear bearing and the cup that allows the free play. I thought the speedo housing with shims would further press the cup in. FSM calls for a SST to install that rear cup. I know for sure I did not do that in the TC rebuild assembly.

2C1CA6DD-25EE-44C8-BFC5-0C1604F4AEE9.jpeg

I don't know of any SST to seat the outer race of the rear bearing. That's the function of the speedo housing and shims.

Totally unnecessary SST. You still have the set the preload with the speedo housing and shims. The outer bearing race isn't fully seated until the preload is correct.

X2. Install Speedo housing. Measure preload. Disassemble and install/remove shims as necessary. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

Thanks @Splangy and @spotcruiser

I’ve got about 3-4 mm of movement on the output shaft front to back, so I must have messed up the TC rebuild. Gotta track down that mistake. 😩

has your speedo housing been installed? It’s missing in your photo.

The main shaft bearings are probably shot, and you have zero preload. If you have play as you describe you would want to pull the t-case and check the bearings (and gears). The Toyota t-case is pretty easy to rebuild.

Yeah. Good times indeed!!

thank you

The main shaft bearings are probably shot, and you have zero preload. If you have play as you describe you would want to pull the t-case and check the bearings (and gears). The Toyota t-case is pretty easy to rebuild.
My T-case was rebuilt just prior to this issue. All new bearings. The only thing I can think of is that I had to use a different front nose cone. My original was cracked. Wonder if Toyota matched tolerances on transfer case and nose cone?

Also, I had interference fit on my rear bearing with the TC housing. I cleaned up the rear housing so the bearing would slide to preload. That helped a lot.

Nose cone is not the issue. I’ve mixed and matched plenty of nose cones and cases with no issues. If the preload is done correctly then there shouldn’t be any play in the main shaft. Essentially, the main shaft is trapped between the two bearings.

Hey guys...got aproblem kinda relevant to this thread. I*m rebiulding a bj45 transfercase suposedly the transfer case is original but I recently got my bearings from toyota (90366-35011) is about 2mm to big for the seat in the rear output housing and the seal from the main tranny to the transfercase (90311-48002) is about 2mm to small. Goin nutz here trying to find Cases where these numbers are other than that what I have ordered. Anybody know of these differences?

Valley hybrids will know.

Ask George. Good fella

But to wide or too tall of a bearing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom