Transfer case shims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was under my truck yesterday and noticed my newly rebuilt transfer case still has about 1/16 inch of slop at the rear output. I can wiggle the e brake drum just a little bit. I don't think this is normal. I've put about 200 miles on it since getting it back in the truck. It does seem a bit quieter than before, but still has good amount of gear whine, just like every 40 I've driven. But i'm thinking a thicker shim between the rear bearing and the speedo housing might solve the play issue. Anyone know the part number for the shim pack? My dealer can't seem to find it.

I have some left from when we put orion in , pm me if you want em . I got thicks and thins so ifin you want em pm away. Is the play seemingly in the whole shaft or just the spline engagement of the drum ? I would verify that your drum retaing nut is not loose.

peesalot said:
I have some left from when we put orion in , pm me if you want em . I got thicks and thins so ifin you want em pm away. Is the play seemingly in the whole shaft or just the spline engagement of the drum ? I would verify that your drum retaing nut is not loose.

Nope, it's torqued to 90 ft lbs with the washer behind it. Freshly rebuilt case. I actually emailed my dealer the picture from the SOR site and they finally found them and ordered them up. But thanks for the offer. It's the whole shaft moving, just a little bit. I'm thinking a thicker shim will push the bearing in further and seat it better, seeing as how it's a tapered bearing. Time will tell, but I sure don't want to pull the whole mess again. Of course if I do I can replace the rear main seal I also noticed was leaking now.

I ran across the same thing when I re-did mine. I just pulled it put a thicker shim. It goes back together pretty quick. I'm not sure what operator malfunction caused the slop, but I haven't had trouble with it since. Just to be sure I rechecked for play after another week.

Nope, it's torqued to 90 ft lbs with the washer behind it. Freshly rebuilt case. I actually emailed my dealer the picture from the SOR site and they finally found them and ordered them up. But thanks for the offer. It's the whole shaft moving, just a little bit. I'm thinking a thicker shim will push the bearing in further and seat it better, seeing as how it's a tapered bearing. Time will tell, but I sure don't want to pull the whole mess again. Of course if I do I can replace the rear main seal I also noticed was leaking now.

I know its been a few years but would you happen to know the part number for the shim pack you ordered?

I know its been a few years but would you happen to know the part number for the shim pack you ordered?

The SOR part number would be 070-33A

if you really have 1/16 inch of axial (in and out) play, you may be missing one of the washers on the output shaft, because that is a large amount of play to deal with using shims.

Actually the shims did fix it and I recall it being radial play not in-out. The 68 I'm working on now has the same issue and even though I sold my 79 last summer and purged all the 40 parts I had low and behold a few shims were still in the toolbox so I can fix that one too. Unfortunately I already took them to my friend's shop where the 68 is. So no part numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom