transfer case breather question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
not that I plan on submerging my rig but has anyone put an extension on like some do on the rear end breathers? any pics out there?. I already put the marlin crawler extensions on my rearends.

Thanks
R
012.jpg

Not quite clear if you're talking breathers on the t-case (in the title) or breathers on the rear axle (sounds like it in the body.) However - I am currently doing both a part of a much larger project.

For the rear axle I went to Lowe's and got the 1/4" brass compression fittings, they screwed right into the axle breather nipple openings. I like them because they don't require any hose clamps, they're all compression-type attachments so they look clean to me.

I am also doing something similar with my t-case, doubler, and tranny, although for those I am using barbed brass hose fittings. Only doing those different because that's what came with the adapter plate for my doubler and I wanted to be consistent on those components.

I have a breather on the t-case, I tapped for a 1/4" NPT 90° hose barb fitting. Then I ran the tubing up to the fire wall, along with the ones from the axles.

My first land cruiser lost it's t-case because it got water in it. The PO had lived in CA. It never occurred to me, living in Las Vegas, that the fluids might be contaminated. In my defense the truck was only a few years old and I was only 17 at the time.

perfect, thanks fellas, my axles are already done now I will do Transfer next

R

rusty tlc: How did you finish out the connections in the engine bay for the hoses you say you ran up the firewall. I am assuming you had three separate hoses that all terminated somehow. I would love to see your solution, as I am trying to dream something up for a similiar configuration.

Thanks,
Chris

You can connect all the hoses together with one or more t fittings and then take the line and put any kind of hose filter on the end. I've heard new fuel filters work well. I worked mine next to the fuel line to fuel filter then up the firewall to a high place. If you have a snorkel, you can run it along it to the top and cap off with something that'll breathe and stay dry.

:beer: ty

I have not done the transfer case, but I have done both axles. Photo 1 is the rear and Photo 2 is obviously under the hood where I have 3 hookups for the rear, front & TC. That is an off-road K&N filter.
Brake Tee 01.jpg
Aux Fuse Panel 02.jpg

That is an off-road K&N filter.

I am guessing the K&N air filter in inside that black "air box" or intake. Where did you buy that component? So if you have three hoses going into it, where does it draw air in from? Is there a fourth port that has a traditional breather "plunger" on it.

Thanks,
Chris

rusty tlc: How did you finish out the connections in the engine bay for the hoses you say you ran up the firewall. I am assuming you had three separate hoses that all terminated somehow. I would love to see your solution, as I am trying to dream something up for a similiar configuration.

Thanks,
Chris
I just zip tied the hoses to whatever was handy. I terminated them with the breather caps that were removed from the axle etc.

You could probably leave the tubes open. I don't see much potential for dust to migrate 10' or more down the plastic tubes into the diff or t-case. The factory breather is nothing more than a rubber cap with a spring that holds it down until there is any pressure inside the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom