Trans temp sender..where to mount? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.brian894x4.com
I know many others here have installed a transmission temp gauge. Can you help me out on where to mount the sending unit. I'm thinking of going with an Autometer digital (since it has the widest range) and their 1/4" NPT sender.

The only easiest potention locations I can find while searching here is somewhere in one of the one of the trans cooler lines using a T-fitting? But which line? And I thought the lines were all hard pipe...maybe not.

Does anyone know the ID for the trans cooler lines?

Or...the drain plug. If the drain plug, does anyone know the thread size of the trans drain plug?

Thanks for any ideas.

The best choice is in the oil pan itself but you have to weld in a bung (nut) for it to thread into. The second choice would be to find a way to mount it in the line coming from the tranny and into the cooler. I was in so impatient when I had my valve body and TC rebuilt that I reassembled everything so I could drive without welding in the nut. Now I have a gauge sitting in a box instead of in my rig performing it's function:eek:

I'm kind of hoping to avoid the weld the bung into the pan idea. Just more of a hassle than I want to deal with.

I see something about tapping into the output cooling line with a T fitting and using compression fittings, so I assuming this means cut one of the hardlines and put in the T? That seems more doable, but still a little scary tearing up a hardline, if it doesn't go right.

Found the drain pan thread size from this post:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/99771-size-trans-drain-plug-threads-97-a.html

At least for '95-97 its M10x1.5.....that's some good info there. Since I can get a sender to fit that, I may just go that route. If a weld in bung is recommended in the pan, then the temp reading should be the same using the drain plug instead.

Last edited:
If you are looking to put it at that location, how about drill and tap the drain plug?

Another potential solution would be to use the digital temp gauge.

You might be on to something with the drill and tap the drain plug....because I just ran into a problem that the only maker of the correct thread/pitch sending unit is VDO and they only have a 150-400F gauge which is kind of useless.

I rather go with something with more range like the Autometer digital 0-300. I could potentially drill and tap a spare drain plug to fit that sensor. I'll have to look into that.

That engine watchdog looks pretty cool and easy too, but where would one hook up the sensor to get a good temp reading?

what I did is I put the sensor (a thermocouple in my case) on the *outside* of the line and covered it with insulation. Should be very close to the temp of the ATF inside.

I went to the stock location of the over-temp sensor as shown on this 60. I chose this location because it is where the fluid temperature is at its highest. I would rather know what's going on inside the transmission (output temp) than what's going into into the pan. A bonus to this location is there is virtually no way it can be damaged on the trail.

I can't say if the '95+ transmissions have the same or similar bung but if it's there go with it.

tranny temp sensor

For what's it worth my normal temp is around 120*F and the hottest I've ever managed was around 215*F on the trail really working the converter.

What gauge and sender did you use? How has it worked out. That sounds like an interesting set up. I looked at the drain plug and it looks a little small to drill and tap.

it's just something I rigged up. A thermocouple reader with 2 TCs, one for the coolant and one for the ATF. There is a thread here someplace.

This thermocouple gauge system seems like a good idea. Simple, easy hook up.

Anyone have any idea where I could find a digital tempature thermocouple gauge. Obviously this would be a non-automotive application, but I have no idea where to look.

This thermocouple gauge system seems like a good idea. Simple, easy hook up.

Anyone have any idea where I could find a digital tempature thermocouple gauge. Obviously this would be a non-automotive application, but I have no idea where to look.

I gave some part numbers in my thread. Any scientific supply house will have them. Places like Omega for instance. But you may be better off buying a multimeter that has a TC reading so you can use it for more stuff around the house. Like some of the Flukes for example. They usually have only one input, though. But you could rig up a switch system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom