Trans and T-Case Rebuild kits for a 3 speed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
I am planning on rebuilding my transmission and transfer case. I am currently pretty much rebuilding the drivetrain and after dropping the transmission, I noticed the input shaft had a decent amount of play in it. I have a few options on kits, but only one of them comes with both transmission and transfer case overhaul gaskets, seals, bearing, etc. Interestingly enough it is the cheapest of them all, even though it comes with parts for both, the kit uses Koyo bearings, I don't want to cheap out on something that's a pain to have to do again and is critical to functionality. Has anyone used these bearings long term? Maybe I will be able to get away with just a transmission rebuild kit because it's the only part showing signs of wear between the two. I should mention it is a 1973 FJ40 with a 3 speed. If you need pictures for any reason, I should be able to supply those to you all.

I am trying to rebuild a 3 sp FJ40 as well. Did you ever get any feedback on the kit you are considering? I have been searching for such a kit and have not seen any which include parts for the transmission and transfer case together at a reasonable price.. Can you share where you found the kit and how much they want? thanks

I am trying to rebuild a 3 sp FJ40 as well. Did you ever get any feedback on the kit you are considering? I have been searching for such a kit and have not seen any which include parts for the transmission and transfer case together at a reasonable price.. Can you share where you found the kit and how much they want? thanks

Kurt @cruiseroutfit can hook you up.

Play on the input shaft of the transmission is normal and there is no spec for it because the shaft is piloted with ball bearings on both ends. The same is true for the outputs shaft of the transmission. The bearings will probably out live you.

I have a few links that you could look through. This is what I have found so far.

TPI 4x4 Transmission kit FJ40 TRANSMISSION OVERHAUL KIT, 3 SPEED - https://tpi4x4.com/product/fj40-transmission-overhaul-kit-3-speed/

Advance Adapters Transmission kit 401310 : Toyota Land Cruiser stock 3 speed transfer case rebuild kit | Advance Adapters - https://www.advanceadapters.com/products/401310--toyota-land-cruiser-stock-3-speed-transfer-case-rebuild-kit/?gclid=CjwKCAiAu8SABhAxEiwAsodSZN5OFyDE8um2ENm1xnAzADq3KOxOpjR1N7mh85vmt6kfdaLj7eAWrhoC3_EQAvD_BwE

TPI 4x4 Transfer case kit FJ40 TRANSFERCASE OVERHAUL KIT, 7504-8007 - https://tpi4x4.com/product/fj40-transfercase-overhaul-kit-7504-8007

TPI 4x4 Transfer case kit (Unsure the difference between this one and the other one) FJ40 FJ60 TRANSFERCASE OVERHAUL KIT, 34mm SHAFT - https://tpi4x4.com/product/fj40-fj60-transfercase-overhaul-kit-34mm-shaft/

Play on the input shaft of the transmission is normal and there is no spec for it because the shaft is piloted with ball bearings on both ends. The same is true for the outputs shaft of the transmission. The bearings will probably out live you.
Is this because the shaft has some room in between it and the inner race of the bearing?

No. It is a property of ball bearings. They all have some play. It doesn’t matter because the nose of the input shaft is riding in the clutch pilot ball bearing.

You can get the T-case kit and a basic gasket kits for the 3 speeds from most of the Vendors that support this forum. However, the 3 speed cluster gear shafts are getting harder to come by and you’ll have to get the needle rollers form overseas...can’t buy them in US and longer. Those are the 3 speed parts you’ll really need. The large group in the photo go to the cluster gear and the small group go to the reverse idler gear.

I got new needle the rollers from a bearing house in the UK...I’ll see if I can find my original order and post here.

57C721F6-9640-4850-96B1-7714611E7B0A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom