Tranny Rebuild -Shadetree Mechanic Style (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby said:
The clutches are splined to the inner part and the steels are splined to an outer part. When an actuator presses them together, both parts turn.

just like a motorcycle clutch. except that a scooter clutch is pressed together at rest and the actuator releases it.

Thanks Gumby, I'll try to post a pic of the clutches interlocks with the gears after I chow on some bird.

Hey, that engine in your redirect looks to be a Honda engine. I recognize the clutch housing.

11-29-05 update

Here's the update as of 11-29-05.

The day of Thanksgiving I realized that I forgot to order a bearing race which cracked from the heat when the second clutch burnt up. Therefore I placed the order with the local dealer. However, since TMS is off on Thursday and Friday the order did not get processed until Monday morning. So I'll be cutting it close if I want to joint the crew for Toys for Tots on Dec 3.

Here a pic of the fractured bearing race.
11-24-05 2nd clutch bearing race.JPG

Pic 1: Here is the clutches meshed up to the gearing.

Pic 2: Cleaning the second clutch assembly. Damn near every part with traveled thru the sink for rinsing.
After rinse it's on to air dry with compressed air.

Pic 3: Here's the second clutch cleaned and ready for the clutches.
11-29-05 Clutch and gear.JPG
11-29-05 Cleaning rear Clutch assembly.jpg
11-29-05 cleaned rear clutch assembly.JPG

Unbelievable. Just for grins, you should take a stab at the actual number of individual parts in there you've removed, cleaned and/or replaced.

DougM

Who votes that a tranny rebuild is more difficult than a motor rebuild? I have experience with neither, but by the looks, it seems that the tranny would be more difficult.

jklubens said:
Also, the manual says to use petroleum jelly so the bearing assemble can stick to the parts. So I've asked my brother to barrow some from his closet.:flipoff2: (O' he's gonna be pissed when he reads this)

bwahahahahaha, now that's some funny chit. :bounce:

IdahoDoug,
I'll do that. I plan to give a final cost for rebuild kit, a peripheral cost for items needed and the overall cost to do the whole thing.

CJ,
I'll rebuilt several engines in my day and only this tranny. In my opinion there about the same for degree of difficulty.

11-30-05 Update

Well, I called the dealer today concerning the part are forgot to order. It's not going to be to the dealer until 12/12/05. He said ". . . it coming from the land of the raising sun." Great!!

But, I decided to clean the front clutch assembly today and get it ready.

Here are some pics of disassmbly.
11-30-05 example of clutch in housing.JPG
11-30-05  frt clutches and pison.JPG
11-30-05 front clutch3.JPG

more pics
11-30-05 front clutch2.JPG
11-30-05 front clutch4.JPG
11-30-05 Front clutch.JPG

12-10-05 Update

Well, since the bearing race is on the slow boat from China, I'm forced to take my time.

Here's some shots of the governor teardown and reassembly.

The fEags that rebuilt the tranny before did not put the strainer in the governor. It did not cause a problem with the tranny but it could have later down the road.
12-10-05 governor1.JPG
12-10-05 governor2.JPG
12-10-05 governor3.JPG

Last edited:
more pics of the governor
12-10-05 governor4.JPG
12-10-05 governor5.JPG
12-10-05 governor6.JPG

awsome write up, but I think the land of the rising sun is Japan and not China[Well, since the bearing race is on the slow boat from China] J/K
:D

Thanks for the continuing writeup these are views rarely seen.

have you found the manual to be reasonably complete in its instructions? could a mechanic do a first rebuild on this manual alone? I have the transmission overhaul manual for the 343 in my 96

Last edited:
one other thing why aftermarket parts? where the OEM parts even more expensive?

RT,
As long as the individual has the support to rebuilt a tranny, a good understanding of mechanics and time, they should not have a problem.

The manual is complete and very comprehensive with all details. However, what you need is the surrounding support items to complete the task.
Dial indicator, extension for Dial indicator, inside diameter mic, some SST's from SPX, compressed air, parts washer, clean working envirnment and a retired father with a Ram 3500 Cummin's Turbo. [Because, I'd rather be Cummin then Stroken.:flipoff2: ]

With regard to OEM parts: the first thing I did was to check out the pricing for clutches. My local dealership quoted a price of $47 for one friction clutch. I asked him, 'are you sure that's not $47 for the clutch pack' he said no.

Loquito,
I was trying to go for the correct idiom. But maybe it's either way. I guest I won't reach the smartass status like Junk and them.:grinpimp:

concretejungle said:
Who votes that a tranny rebuild is more difficult than a motor rebuild? I have experience with neither, but by the looks, it seems that the tranny would be more difficult.

I think because I have built so many engines and by comparison so few trannies the tranny is harder. For some one who has never done either I would say it is on the same difficulty level.

I gotta go with the auto tranny rebuild as the ultimate. With engines and a modest understanding of their internals you can go "OK, this cam bearing lobe has to compress the #1 intake valve close to the piston TDC, so clearly I've got the cam 180 degrees out of phase."

With the tranny, I think it would go more like this: "OK, this part that looks like an aluminum jellyfish in heat must be to provide a stall speed to the clutch pack it spins around, but do the detente's stay in phase or out of phase? And why is that small hole with the flexible cover protruding - should it rotate the same direction as the other part that looks like a Star Wars designed medallion with rows of spring loaded ball bearings? Or not? And what does this entire 43 piece assembly DO once I get it all figured out???"

The former would intrigue me, the latter would terrify me....

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
"OK, this part that looks like an aluminum jellyfish in heat

Bwahahahaha, Doug, i gotta use that one. Permission?

12-10-05 Update

Got the front and rear clutches rebuilt (C1 and C2 respectively).

Below six pics are the C1 (Front) clutch being assembled.
12-10-05 rebuiild frt cltch5.JPG
12-10-05 rebuiild frt cltch6.JPG
12-10-05 rebuiild frt cltch7.JPG

Last edited:
12-10-05 update

more pics of C1 (front) clutch.
12-10-05 rebuild frt cltch2.JPG
12-10-05 rebuild frt cltch3.JPG
12-10-05 rebuild frt cltch4.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back