Tranny question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My friends 82 mini sr5 needs a new tranny i have a line on one for him but what tranny does he have now? did all 22r trucks have the same or did they switch it up in the 80's? We just want to swap in a replacement, so we don't want to mess with driveline length etc. I looked in the faq but it was kind of confusing. any info on what we could swap in would be awesome. Also what would cause his existing tranny to pop out of first and not go into 5th gear? TIA

Last edited:
I'm assuming that he would have this transmission:

Marlin Crawler

The shifter bushing could be disintegrated and causing the problems that you mentioned. Replacement bushings can also be found on the Marlin website. They are cheap and easy to install. I replaced mine last year and it removed all the slop in the shifting.

I would agree with WarDamnEagle, try a shifter bushing first. If it doesn't help you can pull it out an use it in the new tranny.

If his 82 has the original tranny, then it's likely an L50. The L50 & L52 are interchangable (L52 is stronger). Both are the same length (approx 20"). Later G & W series trannys (84 & up) are about 5" longer.

so you're saying that the tranny not going into 5th might be a desintegrated shifter bushing?

It's a less than $15 repair. Even if it doesn't work he isn't out much time or money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom