Trail communications for club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since all my 2M radios are in my rigs in UT, and I want to stay plugged in this weekend at Rauch, I just picked up another handheld...anyone have experience with the Yaesu FT-270R?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R3WKZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
LOL, you could have bought 4 Baofengs for that price and had enough left over for a better antenna.
I have all the CMCC Baofeng radios in my basement. If you want to borrow 1 or 3 just let me know. They're all programmed and charged. Give them to Onur when you're done.

I just bought this -
BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio

I will likely need someones help programming it to the others.

LOL, you could have bought 4 Baofengs for that price and had enough left over for a better antenna.
I have all the CMCC Baofeng radios in my basement. If you want to borrow 1 or 3 just let me know. They're all programmed and charged. Give them to Onur when you're done.
I just prefer the big three to any of the chinacoms...but I did also get a better Diamond antenna for the FT-270R. I guess I am a quality over quantity kinda guy.

OK ... now what?

20181206_131516[1].jpg

Go get your ham licence and learn how to use your radio.

Crap ... I thought this was just a walkie-talkie kind of thing. Def not wanting to take some kind of test.

Crap ... I thought this was just a walkie-talkie kind of thing. Def not wanting to take some kind of test.
it is a walkie-talkie kind of thing, with much better range and clarity than a CB...but it comes with a requirement to get an amateur HAM licence... that said, plenty of folks use them without licences. In remote locations offroad there is little chance of getting into trouble...but in populated areas you better be licensed and using the proper protocols.

It also has three TX wattage settings. Set to 1 or 2 watts TX should have no troubles communicating with the group, but not travel too far from the park.

@YotaFun I think you need 80% to pass.

For the actual test yes, but the actual test is only a fraction of the knowledge covered in the text, that's why they say if you can get a 70% on the ham practice test app that you are pretty much guaranteed to pass the test.

You shouldn't fear knowledge. Learning something new is always worthwhile, and a 12 year old can pass this exam.
If you go to: HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests you can study at your own pace and it reinforces the areas that you need help with. Then take the exam and get your ticket which is good for 10 years.
You might even learn something...

You shouldn't fear knowledge. Learning something new is always worthwhile, and a 12 year old can pass this exam.
If you go to: HamTestOnline - Ham Radio Exam Courses and Practice Tests you can study at your own pace and it reinforces the areas that you need help with. Then take the exam and get your ticket which is good for 10 years.
You might even learn something...
Thanks Jon, this post kicked me in the butt enough to re-lookup test sites near me and get one on our calendar for this week up coming. Many are open to walk ins.

Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area

Screenshot_20181208-130336.png

I have yet to go out with the Keystone Cruisers, but I have been lurking for a while. In any case, I went to Ambler and took the technician test and just barely passed :) The Baofeng is on the way.

I read through this link posted earlier. CLCC seems pretty organized with Ham. They have both simplex and repeater/talk-around by using the local repeaters.
CLCC RADIO 101 – More than you ever wanted to know about CLCC’s radios – Capital Land Cruiser Club

It got me thinking. Is there a repeater near Rausch or AOAA that is the primary repeater used for local communication when out on the trails, or are communications mostly done via simplex? I visited the repeaterbook and there are a few repeaters in Schuylkill county. See below.

Schuylkill County amateur radio repeaters

I noticed there is a CHIRP file that is being passed around. Could I get access?

Hope to meet up soon.

Last edited:
@BlueMarblePA there is a repeater in the park at RC however simplex is all that is really used.

There are 2 chirp files, one Gotham uses and one cap city uses. I think I would like both and they I may try and make my own.

I have yet to go out with the Keystone Cruisers, but I have been lurking for a while. In any case, I went to Ambler and took the technician test and just barely passed :) The Baofeng is on the way.

I read through this link posted earlier. CLCC seems pretty organized with Ham. They have both simplex and repeater/talk-around by using the local repeaters.
CLCC RADIO 101 – More than you ever wanted to know about CLCC’s radios – Capital Land Cruiser Club

It got me thinking. Is there a repeater near Rausch or AOAA that is the primary repeater used for local communication when out on the trails, or are communications mostly done via simplex? I visited the repeaterbook and there are a few repeaters in Schuylkill county. See below.

Schuylkill County amateur radio repeaters

I noticed there is a CHIRP file that is being passed around. Could I get access?

Hope to meet up soon.
Well done Blue Marble, was that Saturday at 09:00?
We appreciate your insights and input.

I have the chirp file used by the Gotham City folks for the CMCC comms. Happy to share it, PM your email.

Can't seem to link the file here.

Well done Blue Marble, was that Saturday at 09:00?
We appreciate your insights and input.

I have the chirp file used by the Gotham City folks for the CMCC comms. Happy to share it, PM your email.

Can't seem to link the file here.

Yes. It was 9:00am at Ambler, PA. I was surprised I passed considering how many questions I had no clue about. I figured I definitely got 20 right and then the other 15 were quite questionable. I needed 26, and I guess I got enough from guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom