Trail communications for club (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vince is such an over-achiever ... that's why he's my spirit animal. I just want someone to put my radio on the right channel for me and let the Government track me down. I've gotta be on a few watch lists already at this point anyway.

It's a Yaesu... blocking on the model number, but it worked great out west using repeaters. I've probably forgotten most of what I need to know.

Hey Vince, if you can get a programming cable for it I can program it for you. I've got the Chirp files.

Andy

I've got a Keystone chirp file ready. It's a blend of CLCC and GCLC Coal mine frequencies. I got my Baofeng to talk to our club Motorola's The easiest thing I believe will be to use channel 7-16 on the motorola's and channels CLCC 7- CLCC 16 on a HAM radio. From the information I have gathered it Is not legal for our HAM radios to transmit on the frequencies of the motorola's simply because of the higher wattage we transmit at. I set the file to low power for those frequencies. I think it will automaticly change our transmission power to 1 watt. 1 watt is still to high but at least its not 4 or 8. I see this more as bending the rules. I also lowered the wattage for the FRS frequencies programed in the file. Also included are the CMCC channels and Pine Grove, AOAA, and a repeater in Higens because it looks as if the AOAA repeater @jonheld uses is no longer operating. Really the repeater's are only there for those that actually know what they are doing. We will almost always be in a simplex situation.

I can't upload the file so contact me if you need it.

I've got a Keystone chirp file ready. It's a blend of CLCC and GCLC Coal mine frequencies. I got my Baofeng to talk to our club Motorola's The easiest thing I believe will be to use channel 7-16 on the motorola's and channels CLCC 7- CLCC 16 on a HAM radio. From the information I have gathered it Is not legal for our HAM radios to transmit on the frequencies of the motorola's simply because of the higher wattage we transmit at. I set the file to low power for those frequencies. I think it will automaticly change our transmission power to 1 watt. 1 watt is still to high but at least its not 4 or 8. I see this more as bending the rules. I also lowered the wattage for the FRS frequencies programed in the file. Also included are the CMCC channels and Pine Grove, AOAA, and a repeater in Higens because it looks as if the AOAA repeater @jonheld uses is no longer operating. Really the repeater's are only there for those that actually know what they are doing. We will almost always be in a simplex situation.

I can't upload the file so contact me if you need it.
Someone is getting up to speed, great work Andy!

Someone is getting up to speed, great work Andy!
Thanks but this is more like how I did research papers in high school. Copy and paste other people's work. I don't really want th be the club "radio guy" but we needed this. Who knows, maybe we will continue to learn as we use this stuff.

Are you just doing this to try to get my vote on Saturday morning?!

I was hoping you’d buy me breakfast instead :)

There are only 3 2M repeaters in Northumberland County.
The 147.270 is reporting off air right now according to Repeaterbook.
The 146.655 looks like it has good coverage and should work for AOAA. Callsign KC3FIT.

Thanks but this is more like how I did research papers in high school. Copy and paste other people's work. I don't really want th be the club "radio guy" but we needed this. Who knows, maybe we will continue to learn as we use this stuff.

Good job! And congratulations on becoming the Keystone Radio Guru!

Does this mean you’ll fix my radios for me now Andy .....I mean since you’re the “ Keystone Radio Guru” now

You probably should have a sticker on your truck that says this lol

Does this mean you’ll fix my radios for me now Andy .....I mean since you’re the “ Keystone Radio Guru” now

You probably should have a sticker on your truck that says this lol

No, I really don't know enough to be the radio guy.

Good job! And congratulations on becoming the Keystone Radio Guru!
Thank you, now never call me that again!

Ok I read all 10 pages - and glad I did! Over on my “help me” thread from yesterday I thought someone had mentioned GMRS - but it seems like folks have settled on HAM. Sounds like I should grab one of these BaoFengs and start studying...

Ultimately I’d like a license and a rig-mounted unit but to get started I may cough up the $25 for a handheld and risk the FCC coming after me. Is there a newer/updated model that doesn’t overheat?

I'm glad you found this. I couldn't remember myself if it was frs or GMRS and ham I used. Turns out it's the frs. Basically I hacked the bofeng to make it work on the frs frequencies so they work with the club radios.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom