TPMS notes and easy DIY (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I have used Pacific (OEM) and Huf sensors on the 2015 with great success so far. I also have Autel 508 tool I use to program the rig.

Now, 2015 and earlier sensors are not compatible with 2016+ rigs. Which kinda sucks if you have both and would like sometimes to share wheels across them.

However, it looks like Autel MX sensor might be ticket! Autel webpage lists compatibility of the MX Sensors for all 200 years. Does any run Autel sensors on 2016+ to confirm?

So I have used Pacific (OEM) and Huf sensors on the 2015 with great success so far. I also have Autel 508 tool I use to program the rig.

Now, 2015 and earlier sensors are not compatible with 2016+ rigs. Which kinda sucks if you have both and would like sometimes to share wheels across them.

However, it looks like Autel MX sensor might be ticket! Autel webpage lists compatibility of the MX Sensors for all 200 years. Does any run Autel sensors on 2016+ to confirm?

Ran them on my '14 LX without issues. Scanned OEM TPM IDs, programmed into the MX sensors, installed new wheels & sensors, good to go.

Ran them on my '14 LX without issues. Scanned OEM TPM IDs, programmed into the MX sensors, installed new wheels & sensors, good to go.

Saw that, thanks. I believe TPMS compatibility between years is the same for LX as it is for LC: one type for 2008-2015, another 2016-2021. Looking for a confirmation of compatibility of the MX sensors with 2016+...

Obviously can't give you 100% confirmation, but so long as the 2016+ sensors use one of the frequencies (hz) supported by the MX sensors, you should be good to go.

Obviously can't give you 100% confirmation, but so long as the 2016+ sensors use one of the frequencies (hz) supported by the MX sensors, you should be good to go.
So far no confirmation, and frankly I am becoming skeptical that they will work. Another member with 2018 LX got 315Mhz MX sesnors and they did not work for him. Was told he should have gotten dual-frequency ones, but that's fishy. 2016+ 200s are also 315Mhz just different type/protocol.

So far no confirmation, and frankly I am becoming skeptical that they will work. Another member with 2018 LX got 315Mhz MX sesnors and they did not work for him. Was told he should have gotten dual-frequency ones, but that's fishy. 2016+ 200s are also 315Mhz just different type/protocol.
I think the speculation is that the dual freq sensors have more capability somehow. But it is speculation for sure. If Autel has it on their fit guide, if you buy from Autel and they don't work it would seem a refund would be straightforward to obtain.

I think the speculation is that the dual freq sensors have more capability somehow. But it is speculation for sure. If Autel has it on their fit guide, if you buy from Autel and they don't work it would seem a refund would be straightforward to obtain.

Right. 2016+ Taco also uses the newer sensor like 2016+ 200 (and most Toyota/Lexus cars it seems), but did not find any single success story of Autel MX used on those, one comment that it did not work on 2020 Tacoma, but without further details of the type of the sensor (single or dual frequency). I'd happy to try, just don't have my 2021 near me at this time.

I would give it a shot and return the sensors if they don't work. A small factor to keep in mind: tires need to be inflated in order for the sensors to be programmed/usable. At 0PSI you won't be able to interact with it. A lot of people fall into that trap and leave bad reviews without understanding that the problem is not the sensors, but themselves.

Well, there is a report for a 2018 Tundra
I would give it a shot and return the sensors if they don't work. A small factor to keep in mind: tires need to be inflated in order for the sensors to be programmed/usable. At 0PSI you won't be able to interact with it. A lot of people fall into that trap and leave bad reviews without understanding that the problem is not the sensors, but themselves.
Actually that depends on the sensor. Huf sensors and older style Pacific (older style for 2015 and earlier, there were more than one flavor) can be triggered at rest without pressure. I know as I managed to do that successfully with my Autel 508 tool. Newer style Pacific for 2015 and earlier cannot be triggered without seeing pressure first. I don't know about Autel MXs as I don't have experience with them. Given they are clonable and they are supposed to work with the "pad" tool, I would guess they don't need pressure.

Last edited:
Reading more about these, in order to get programmed to a vehicle they must see NO pressure. So that means deflating wheels completely to swap.

I think you normally have to have at least one bead loose to access the Tpms, so shouldn’t be an issue to be at zero psi. I remember that @raincityrider had to do something to wake up the sensors, but it has been a couple years and forgot what he had to do.
I programmed mine outside the tires, carried them one at a time down the block so when I cloned values they didn’t have any rf clutter with that id nearby.

Saw that, thanks. I believe TPMS compatibility between years is the same for LX as it is for LC: one type for 2008-2015, another 2016-2021. Looking for a confirmation of compatibility of the MX sensors with 2016+...
I had no problem programming these (cloned OEM sensors for snow tires) for my 2016 LC

I think you normally have to have at least one bead loose to access the Tpms, so shouldn’t be an issue to be at zero psi. I remember that @raincityrider had to do something to wake up the sensors, but it has been a couple years and forgot what he had to do.
I programmed mine outside the tires, carried them one at a time down the block so when I cloned values they didn’t have any rf clutter with that id nearby.

I don't believe they need to be pulled out of the wheels (that would render them pretty useless for the sharing scenarios), just zero PSI to reprogram.

I had no problem programming these (cloned OEM sensors for snow tires) for my 2016 LC
Thanks for confirming!

I had to deflate the tire to wake them up.

I have a full set of programed sensors in my tool box. I got an extra set incase I wanted a second set of wheels but don't think that is gonna happen. I would let them go for a fair price.

Another wrinkle in the TPMS universe...

I have an auxiliary fuel tank in the spare location (LRA Tank, love it), but the spare is sitting out of my 2017 LC 200 right now. So, is there a way to program the TPMS system to only read 4 tires so it doesn't give me a yellow warning light?

I've asked around and the info from the tank installer is that it always wants to see 5 tires/pressure readings. If that's the case, can't I just fab up a small container and install a TPMS and pressure it up to tire pressure and just throw it in the truck somewhere? I would clone it to the spare I guess.

I would make it small so it would be easy to hide in my tool bag and remove when I stowed the spare in the truck or on a pulled trailer for longer trips.

Has anyone done this to as a work around? Insight for potential problems with this plan would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have an auxiliary fuel tank in the spare location (LRA Tank, love it), but the spare is sitting out of my 2017 LC 200 right now. So, is there a way to program the TPMS system to only read 4 tires so it doesn't give me a yellow warning light?

I've asked around and the info from the tank installer is that it always wants to see 5 tires/pressure readings. If that's the case, can't I just fab up a small container and install a TPMS and pressure it up to tire pressure and just throw it in the truck somewhere? I would clone it to the spare I guess.

I would make it small so it would be easy to hide in my tool bag and remove when I stowed the spare in the truck or on a pulled trailer for longer trips.

Has anyone done this to as a work around? Insight for potential problems with this plan would be appreciated.

Thanks
Yes. I am running all 5 sensors in a PVC container at the moment.

Thanks

I am quite sure you should be able to program just 4 sensors using a tool like Autel 508. Can confirm for you later.

Cool, any tricks for the PVC? Just install and pump it up? Any particular volume that was needed? I'm thinking a TIG'd aluminum box of about 1/8" material about half the size of a coke can.

If you have pics of how you did it or store it, that would be helpful.

ETA...come to think of it, the RFID would probably not work with AL. So I guess PVC it is! Unless someone has another suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom