Toyota B Main Bearing Torque Specs (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi guys, I need help. My manual says 145ft lbs. I am trying to achieve it but in the process stretched 4 bolts. Why does it seem so tight? I am using a 50-220 Torque wrench.

I have reused these same bolts twice as this is the second overhaul.

Are my specs right or are the bolts too old?

I can find new bolts 8.8 but they are only rated to 90ft lbs and the bolts at wreckers of an old B motor, im hesitant to buy since it might be old too.

my engine is a B, B stamped on the block.

I'm lost and have tried researching for answers.

IMG_2355.PNG

IMG_2356.JPG

There are different main bearing bolts depending upon the year. In the 10yr productiion life of the B engine, there were at least 3 different main bearing bolts used, 12mm, 13mm, and 16mm, each with a different thread pitch. Two of the torque specs are listed above, and another spec from the Aug 1980 B manual is listed at 92-103ft-lbs.

wow thank you so much, any wonder I screwed up my bolts,

I just bought some bolts from an old B block in a wreckers. These have 19mm heads so I'm guessing its the 16mm.

I dont know how the manual expected these to handle 145ft lbs. From experience 100ft lbs is plenty so I'll use that figure.

Do you think thread locker is a good idea?

Those specs are from the 1977 B/2B manual.
Hi OG, happy new year.

Hey, I have a B engine 1984. So what torque would you recomend for the connecting rod caps nuts, 54 ft-lbs or 40ft-lbs and add 90 degrees turn?
Let me know,I would really appreciate your advice.

Best Regards,
Rod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom