Toyota 4.7L 2UZ Total Engine Teardown (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice video! If I have a full month of just doing nothing, I'll do this and proceed in polishing all intake and exhaust ports including the valves :D

If only the starter gets replaced, approx. how many hours would it take for an average mechanic?
I can only guess based on the video where he had the luxury of having the motor on a stand and no need to get it running again that I probably would take a few hours the first time, not counting pauses for my bad back or looking for incidentals. I think I’m a bit above average as home mechanics go, but maybe I’m just feeling good about myself :)
someone who has actually done it will hopefully chime in.

The first time my starter went out Toyota quoted me 7 hours of labor. I did it myself and it took me 5.5 hours. I had to do it in the middle of a road trip in half in a friends garage using a non oem starter because Toyota didn’t have one. That starter just died, so I replaced it with a Denso remanufacted unit in my garage. It went much smoother the second time around.

The first time my starter went out Toyota quoted me 7 hours of labor. I did it myself and it took me 5.5 hours. I had to do it in the middle of a road trip in half in a friends garage using a non oem starter because Toyota didn’t have one. That starter just died, so I replaced it with a Denso remanufacted unit in my garage. It went much smoother the second time around.
I have a extra starter solenoid contact kit just in case. But the clicks you get when its failing is a good sign to fix the starter.

I have a extra starter solenoid contact kit just in case. But the clicks you get when its failing is a good sign to fix the starter.

@newbielx470 So I was getting the click and changing the starter contact fixed my issue. I did this in around 4-5 hr. Getting the intake was not hard at all..It was taking and putting the starter that was a big big Pita.. but its very doable. It will need you to climb into the back on the the engine to get to the rear starter bolt iirc.

Just finished my starter job today. Did it over two days, 5-6 hours total, but took my time and did a thorough cleaning, replaced fuel injector isolators, etc. Had never done it before, hoping to go another 200k on this one.

I’d like to see him put it back together as fast as he tore it down😎

Enjoy watching vids of 4.7 opened up-

BTW this is the exact movement where he's taking out the starter for reference. -

If you ever want to know where to access the starter bolts. Here they are in the rear of the engine. Its a PITA to get to when the engine is on the car. But you can clearly see the two bolts he removed to get the starter out.

https://youtu.be/cRlcN6vRHhg?t=930

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom