Vvti engine total loss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As my title says, my engine is total loss (230000 mile vvti 2006). I was driving at the highway doing 50mph when my car started shaking and stuttering. Pulled the car aside and waited for roadside help (Germany). They started it and it sounded horrible so quickly turned off and pulled out the code P0340 (camshaft position sensor). Towed it to my home and changed the camshaft sensor, looked at the timing and the cables/connectors. Everything checked out, so started it again. Engine still makes a weird noise. So now the engine is pulled out and the pictures show it snapped camshaft and cracked cylinder wall. I'm searching what could've caused it. The engine just had been pulled to do every gasket. Even de camshafts have come out and upper oil pan. New secondary air pump and new oil pump.
IMG-20230809-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20230809-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
As they say... Been there, done that! The insurance company for the shop that worked on destroyed my engine ended up buying me a replacement lower mileage used engine. I towed my broken 2006 LX470 to a shop that "knows" Land Cruisers and had them purchase and install the replacement engine. I think the insurance company's total outlay was just north of $12,000 for the engine and install...

Never seen a snapped cam shaft before. My only guess it on how it snapped was a considerable amount of backlash somewhere.

The engine just had been pulled to do every gasket. Even de camshafts have come out and upper oil pan. New secondary air pump and new oil pump.

That is probably a good clue.

Looks like binding on the bearings. Any chance the bearing caps were mixed or not torqued properly? Or were the heads re-machined maybe? If not setup properly, you can actually machine a 'banana' and when clamped down on the block, it will distort the cam bearings.

Did you do the work yourself? How many Km since the repair? Any signs of galling/wear on any of the bearings?

Last edited:
Why did you pull a 2UZ to replace gaskets? Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like installer error.

Almost everywhere the engine was leaking, because it was standing still for almost 3 years. Been driving it foor 1.5 years when I let all the leaks fixed. I probably drove around for 2000 to 2500 mile. The shop that did everything didn't need the torque spec from the shop manual I had because it was al the same. I don't know if the valves are bend, because it is at the shop who did the last repairs. He showed me these pictures and said this was the damage and I needed a new engine on my cost. But I'm skeptical that it just happened while I've had zero problems before I let them work on it.

As they say... Been there, done that! The insurance company for the shop that worked on destroyed my engine ended up buying me a replacement lower mileage used engine. I towed my broken 2006 LX470 to a shop that "knows" Land Cruisers and had them purchase and install the replacement engine. I think the insurance company's total outlay was just north of $12,000 for the engine and install...
That's unfortunate luck with your engine! Seeing the snapped camshaft and cracked cylinder wall is quite a sight. It's a good thing you're investigating the cause. It could have been a combination of factors, including wear and tear from the high mileage, potential stress during the recent work, or even an unusual event during driving. Hopefully, you'll be able to pinpoint the exact cause to prevent similar issues in the future. Good luck with getting your car back on the road!

Sounds to me like it's 100% this shop's fault given they shrugged off the OEM torque specs. If you can't get them to cover all or most of the repair given they were the last ones in there, I'd take it to someone else who can do it right and is more ethical about their work.

This is definitely shop error. These engines don't just snap cam shafts for no reason. I can almost guarantee the shop didn't properly torque the cam shafts when they worked on the engine. 230k miles is NOT high mileage for this engine.

I also don’t buy that it was leaking from ‘everywhere’. 2UZs really don’t have any oil leaks aside from valve cover gaskets. Sitting 3 years isn’t that long, either.

I also don’t buy that it was leaking from ‘everywhere’. 2UZs really don’t have any oil leaks aside from valve cover gaskets. Sitting 3 years isn’t that long, either.
This. At least on my 07 the VC gaskets make it seem like it's leaking from everywhere... when it's just the VC.

Whenever I hear of a 2UZ blowing up I put on my :pompous:

Pretty rare for these to go on their own. I’d point my finger at the last shop 100%. 230k is nothing for a 2UZ.

They also rarely leak, common place is valve cover gasket(tighten bolts first) and it drips down making a mess.

3 2UZs, none leak or leave spots in my driveway. All 180k+

Sorry to see that cam. Never had my cam seals replaced on either VVTI because I figured it was too involved if it’s not leaking yet.

Do you have a part list from them of what was replaced? Did they engine out for all the gaskets? Tbelt/water pump OEM or denso? Tensioners, idlers etc?

Take the truck to a more respected shop, tell the current shop you need their insurance information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom