Toyota 3B lack of power at high speeds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello people,

I've got this 1984 BJ60 with a 3B that I installed a turbo on it. It's pretty hard to start but when the engine is hot it idles great! During accelerations it does pretty good until about 70kph, then it starts to feel sluggish and lacks power. I can bearly hit 85-90kph and if there is a slight hill (like 1% grade) then it decelerates a lot. At 80kph I've got 10psi of boost pressure and around 550 Celsius of EGT (pretty high). Smokes kind of a alot too either at idle or on the road. I played with the fuel screw which changes egt and smoke but not a lot on power. Injection pump timing is set at nominal but I have tried with a but of advance and a bit of retard). Fuel consumption is pretty damn high also. I actually don't see a difference on power when it was N/A and after turbo.

Here's whit i've done:
-TD05 turbo with 10psi wastegate, no intercooler.
-Rebuilt head
-all engine bearings and seals replaced
-pistons and rings replaced, liners resurfaced.
-rebuilt injectors
-rebuilt injection pump
-all filters replaced,
-magnaflow resonator, no muffler
-Fuel is new
-Fuel pump inlet screen is clean
-Fuel system has been bled many times so far
-Valve clearance has been adjusted

Kinda hitting a wall right now, hoping somebody could have insight on this problem.

Cheers

I think you've got a serious problem there, somewhere... In comparison, my 84 BJ60's 3B engine is box stock (I've had it since 85), normally aspirated (never even had the head off), normally geared, with almost 500,000km on it, always run with a hundred pound roof rack, a bull bar and hydraulic winch (about another 150+ lb), 75 lb tool and spares box, a 70lb Pitbull and me (215lb),and it will run easily all day at 115-120km/hr on the level and hold a steady 80km/hr on the long 8% grade here. (I also have a 2" ironman lift and have always run stock size 235/75-R15 Michelin LTX M&S tires.)
It's not modern car quick, but it pulls solid, starts easily, and doesn't smoke (other than a puff of black at start up).

With all that you have done there must be a correlation to something not timed right.

Did you follow the FSM for timing the injection pump? Have you tried adjusting it a little? Sometimes the FSM set up needs to be changed for older engines or to be custom for you.

That all said the 3B is no power house. But it should not smoke heavily. Is your compression ok?

With all that you have done there must be a correlation to something not timed right.

Did you follow the FSM for timing the injection pump? Have you tried adjusting it a little? Sometimes the FSM set up needs to be changed for older engines or to be custom for you.

That all said the 3B is no power house. But it should not smoke heavily. Is your compression ok?
This is were I am right now, doubting the timing gears. I followed the 3B FSM for the timing procedure, aligning the numbers together at #1 top dead center. Not too shure what I should check next.

And I'm not equipped to check my compressions but I'm looking for a place still open that can help me with that.

I'm not really thinking of cam timing, but pump timing and adjusting it. It's done with a stand pipe and going off the lines etc to suit the engine.

As for getting a compression tester. Maybe post in the classifieds for JDM/Diesel. I suggest asking to rent or borrow the tool. It could be sent to you from some for a fee and deposit etc...

This thread would do better in the diesel section too for future.

I'm not really thinking of cam timing, but pump timing and adjusting it. It's done with a stand pipe and going off the lines etc to suit the engine.

As for getting a compression tester. Maybe post in the classifieds for JDM/Diesel. I suggest asking to rent or borrow the tool. It could be sent to you from some for a fee and deposit etc...

This thread would do better in the diesel section too for future.
Yeah I'll send it to a diesel shop to time it perfectly with a stobe light. Better do it good once.

I'll check locally for a compression tester.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom