3B blow by (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Was driving my cruiser tonight and had it idling when I got out briefly. I then noticed smoke coming from the right hand side and realized quite a bit was coming from the blow by tube. It’s running/firing up just fine. Did the test with the oil cap and it definitely danced around a bit. Should I be concerned? It does have 498k kms so was considering a rebuilt but not in the near future 🤨

Oil cap dance test is not accurate. My 3B with 420 psi across the board has a dancing oil cap.

Compression test first.

Its choofing a bit, but sounds healthy. Keep an eye on oil consumption. If this isnt a sudden change then its unlikely to progress to a catastrophic failure any time soon.

Oil cap dance test is not accurate. My 3B with 420 psi across the board has a dancing oil cap.

Compression test
It’s choofing a bit, but sounds healthy. Keep an eye on oil consumption. If this isnt a sudden change then its unlikely to progress to a catastrophic failure any time soon.
That’s what I’m thinking, it’s still running like a dime and I did an oil change today and she’s definitely not burning much. Temp/oil pressure also seems to be all good so will just keep an eye on it. Thanks for the peace of mind!

Search oil catch cans. Some have made coffee cans with steel pot scrubbers and drained it every so often. They all mist some oil. It's normal.

This was recently talked about in the diesel forum. You might get more info there too. There has been lot more 3B talk in there than in here.

That’s what I’m thinking, it’s still running like a dime and I did an oil change today and she’s definitely not burning much. Temp/oil pressure also seems to be all good so will just keep an eye on it. Thanks for the peace of mind!

Yea I would agree, it does sounds healthy, however it’s hard to tell, these engines are good at hiding problems.

Compression test first.
Did a compression test this weekend and got 430, 415,

Compression test first.
did a compression test this weekend and got 430, 415, 420, 420

I’d say she’s pretty healthy! Impressive for 480k km

Sweet compression results. Keep up the maintenance, especially on the cooling system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom