Toyo OpenCountry AT3 Experience? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This.

There's no doubt in the spectrum of tires, that's there's differences. Our combined subjective opinions help tease those out. Whether P<XL<LT C<LT F, tire model or size. And it plays further upon the overall setup of the vehicle including suspension, weight, additional mods, etc. Then if the difference or qualities meets expectations or crosses thresholds, is a personal choice. From the spectrum of responses and the way vehicles are modded, some seek out the truckish feel of certain types of tires, while others may want to preserve as much of the OEM feel as possible.

Nothing wrong with it, but as a prospective buyer with all the different variables, sometimes with a bit of aspirational goals vs reality, it all can be hard to wade through.
Totally agree with this. Appreciate the feedback for sure and all of the nuances to consider when selecting. There was more in-depth knowledge or personal experience here to weigh than the guy at the tire store had or wanted to provide.

I ultimately decided to order the L/T C Toyo AT3 tires with hopes I landed in some middle-ish sweet spot that is compatible with how I use the vehicle. Ultimately I was willing to sacrifice a little ride comfort/noise for some additional sidewall protection on adventures. Will be taking the blizzaks off and putting the tires on next week!

Will be running 275/65/18 on my stock 100 series.

Last edited:
Totally agree with this. Appreciate the feedback for sure and all of the nuances to consider when selecting. There was more in-depth knowledge or personal experience here to weigh than the guy at the tire store had or wanted to provide.

I ultimately decided to order the L/T C Toyo AT3 tires with hopes I landed in some middle-ish sweet spot that is compatible with how I use the vehicle. Ultimately I was willing to sacrifice a little ride comfort/noise for some additional sidewall protection on adventures. Will be taking the blizzaks off and putting the tires on next week!

Correct me if i am wrong….but 275/65/18 C AT3 has max load rating of 2500, which is LOWER than stock OEM P-metric Dunlop tires. Not sure if 100-200 lbs load difference matters…but just to point that out.

Personally, i would not go below stock tire load because of how heavy LC is.

Correct me if i am wrong….but 275/65/18 C AT3 has max load rating of 2500, which is LOWER than stock OEM P-metric Dunlop tires. Not sure if 100-200 lbs load difference matters…but just to point that out.

Max load only matters at max inflation pressure. As long as they adjust the pressures with the different tire construction to hit the same load rating on the applicable chart they will be running a tire that is rated for the max GAWR that toyota intended the stock tires to run at.

Keep in mind LT tires having more robust construction is the very reason they require more pressure.. that is needed to reduce friction within the more substantial tire carcass and keep heat production to acceptable levels.

Sounds like you may be confusing passenger tire Load Rating with truck tire Load Rating.

For an LC200:

Stock Load Rating:
P285/60R18 @ 33psi = 2513 lbs

Translate P-Metric Load Rating to LT-Metric Load Rating:
2513 / 1.1 = 2285 lbs

LT275/65R18 Load Range C tire @ the RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure) of 45psi = 2310 lbs.

As long as the LT275/65R18 Load Range C tire is run at the RCTIP of 45psi it is suitable for use on an LC200.

HTH

I've long stated even on a stock 200, I personally prefer E rated tires. I strongly dislike the way a 100% stock 200 drives until E rated ATs are added, and I hated our bone stock 08 LX until we put on 275/65/20 KO2s. All 5 200s we've had ran E tires as fast as I could get to Discount!
Agreed. The ride of our 200 changed for the better when we pulled off the stock tires and put on E rated AT3s.

The AT3s are good enough in snow that you probably won't need to put the Blizzaks back on unless you really want to. I run my AT3s year round in CO high country. They are great.

I guess I should qualify why I said the e-load KO2s dramatically decreased ride quality: the shocks couldn’t dampen them effectively, especially the rears. Sharp bumps caused a significant shudder that didn’t occur with the stock p-metrics or with the P285/70r17 I’m running now. And this was with new OEM replacement shocks. I suppose my suspension bushings were all 100k miles old, but the behavior wasn’t there with stock tires. I noticed this immediately on my way home from the tire shop.

IMO it felt worse than a typical truck ride, because on those the shocks are usually tuned for the tire/wheel weight and higher inflation pressure.

The RCTIP for my P285/70r17 is a mere 27psi. At that pressure the ride is buttery smooth.. it really shows how much of a job can be done by tires with regard to smoothing suspension. I typically keep them closer to 32 to eek out slightly better mileage.

I guess I should qualify why I said the e-load KO2s dramatically decreased ride quality: the shocks couldn’t dampen them effectively, especially the rears. Sharp bumps caused a significant shudder that didn’t occur with the stock p-metrics or with the P285/70r17 I’m running now. And this was with new OEM replacement shocks. I suppose my suspension bushings were all 100k miles old, but the behavior wasn’t there with stock tires. I noticed this immediately on my way home from the tire shop.

IMO it felt worse than a typical truck ride, because on those the shocks are usually tuned for the tire/wheel weight and higher inflation pressure.

The RCTIP for my P285/70r17 is a mere 27psi. At that pressure the ride is buttery smooth.. it really shows how much of a job can be done by tires with regard to smoothing suspension. I typically keep them closer to 32 to eek out slightly better mileage.

Isn't your rig rather high mileage (IIRC)? Original suspension? Also, how heavy were the wheels?

I can't say thay my 50k mile (now 68k mile) 200 with stock suspension has any trouble in the damping department with E-Load KO2s on Rock Wariorrs (81 lbs per wheel).

Isn't your rig rather high mileage (IIRC)? Original suspension? Also, how heavy were the wheels?

I can't say thay my 50k mile (now 68k mile) 200 with stock suspension has any trouble in the damping department with E-Load KO2s on Rock Wariorrs (81 lbs per wheel).
I got it at 105k and put new OEM shocks on it within 10k miles. Those had less than 10k on them when I got the KO2s. On stock wheels it was something like 90# per corner.

New shocks on a used chassis is why I mentioned possibility of bushings contribution.. but this was a classic under dampening issue, for that suspension cycle rate anyway. Tire/axle bounce on sharp impact. High tire spring rate was a major factor, IMO. Exact same impacts with the lighter tires at 27-32 are a completely different experience. Just a thud, no reverb.

I got it at 105k and put new OEM shocks on it within 10k miles. Those had less than 10k on them when I got the KO2s. On stock wheels it was something like 90# per corner.

New shocks on a used chassis is why I mentioned possibility of bushings contribution.. but this was a classic under dampening issue, for that suspension cycle rate anyway. Tire/axle bounce on sharp impact. High tire spring rate was a major factor, IMO. Exact same impacts with the lighter tires at 27-32 are a completely different experience. Just a thud, no reverb.

Ah, sorry I did not read your post carefully, you mentioned the mileage. Maybe the lighter wheel - and 17" tire makes sufficient difference.

Lighter is almost always better. Btw, I find it surprising that some tires like Ridge Grappler show no weight difference between C & E load, while others like KO2 show significant difference (6 lbs.).

Ah, sorry I did not read your post carefully, you mentioned the mileage. Maybe the lighter wheel - and 17" tire makes sufficient difference.

Lighter is almost always better. Btw, I find it surprising that some tires like Ridge Grappler show no weight difference between C & E load, while others like KO2 show significant difference (6 lbs.).
Tire companies are notoriously inaccurate with their spec sheets anyway, so that doesn’t surprise me.

And sometime the lower load rated tired of the same size is the heavier one. Case in point:

Falken AT3W LT285/70R17
LT-C 63.7 lbs
LT-E 58.9 lbs

Toyo AT3 LT285/70R17
LT-C 55 lbs
LT-E 53 lbs

This is why it's potentially arguable whether the higher load rated tire is necessarily more puncture resistant. By weight alone, it's likely that more material may used on the lower load rated tire, potentially improving its puncture resistance. As someone else commented, load rating speaks more to the tire carcasses ability to hold greater air pressures, to ultimately manage the max operating temperature, which sometimes warrants less tire material as it is the material flexing that generates heat.

Like some bicycles tires that can hold much higher pressures and support greater loads and speeds, doesn't mean they will be more durable than a lower max pressure rated tire because sometimes designing for these properties can be orthogonal.

I saw that with Falkens and that really does not make sense. I am with bloc here, these specs are full of inaccuracies.

I saw that with Falkens and that really does not make sense. I am with bloc here, these specs are full of inaccuracies.

Sorry, I don't buy that. Engineers are an exacting species. There may be differences in measurement methodologies that may show different results, but that's a different reason than inaccuracies. On these boards people like to measure "true" tire diameter. Now that is a methodology riddled with so many variables producing practically useless results that I can only chuckle at.

There's well known reasons if you do research why a higher load rated tire may actually weigh less. Or use relatively less rubber with more mass in steel cords and bands.

I believe that TireRack physically measures all the tires that they sell individually…so their numbers are accurate in the sense that same methodology is used across the board.

Sorry, I don't buy that. Engineers are an exacting species. There may be differences in measurement methodologies that may show different results, but that's a different reason than inaccuracies. On these boards people like to measure "true" tire diameter. Now that is a methodology riddled with so many variables producing practically useless results that I can only chuckle at.

There's well known reasons if you do research why a higher load rated tire may actually weigh less. Or use relatively less rubber with more mass in steel cords and bands.

I am sure engineers are (I am one of them). But between them and the webpage, there are marketing guys, editors, etc. I am sure plenty of opportunity for mistakes to creep in.

Installed 285/75-17C this afternoon.

C4125479-C7D3-4006-A21C-DA9DC3DFBBFE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom