Towing with a 200-series Toyota Land Cruiser (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My camper is in the 7000 lb range loaded. Now in AK we don’t have paved roads around the 10k’ range but I do climb steep passes for 2-3k vertical feet. Towing I always run 90-92 octane (unless I’m somewhere it isn’t available) ECT to power and trans to S4, it is common for me to shift to 3rd and sometimes 2nd on steeper uphill grades.

Maybe its expectations and what you are used to feeling. I was actually pretty pleased when we towed our trailer (info posted above) over I70. We didn't do Vail but we did do Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnel and then Rabbit Ears Pass. S6 (8-speed equivalent to S4 on the 6-speed), 87 octane gas. Total weight of trailer and LC was over 12K#. But when I drive up passes like this I find a speed where the RPM is sitting in the low 3K range (peak torque is about 34K) and then try to keep it at that speed on the way up. I think I passed 2-3 trucks on the way up the east side.

BTW, we're towing our trailer out to Bend later in July. I'll be staying out there through September (though my wife will be flying back and forth to Denver.) We're going to keep the trailer in storage when we aren't using it.

I'd be up for a beer or something if you are interested.

Maybe its expectations and what you are used to feeling. I was actually pretty pleased when we towed our trailer (info posted above) over I70. We didn't do Vail but we did do Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnel and then Rabbit Ears Pass. S6 (8-speed equivalent to S4 on the 6-speed), 87 octane gas. Total weight of trailer and LC was over 12K#. But when I drive up passes like this I find a speed where the RPM is sitting in the low 3K range (peak torque is about 34K) and then try to keep it at that speed on the way up. I think I passed 2-3 trucks on the way up the east side.

BTW, we're towing our trailer out to Bend later in July. I'll be staying out there through September (though my wife will be flying back and forth to Denver.) We're going to keep the trailer in storage when we aren't using it.

Thanks Dan. Beer for sure and if you fly fish I can show you around? Remember I also have a Lance? Stay in touch. Ron

I’m on the road now in Utah. Towing 3200 lb trailer. 4 with ECT sometimes uphill feels like I’m really dragging? Have downshifted to 3 and even 2 one time. Definitely felt sluggish at 10,000 feet from Boulder to Grand Junction. It feels like the tranny is not responding and is in some computer mode? Not sure how to explain? Any thoughts?

Completely normal. For a typical naturally aspirated motor, at 10k ft, you're losing ~30% of your power and torque. This is a function of the air density at that elevation. Just like a person that's easily winded at that elevation, your car likewise can't breath as deep. So that burly ~400hp/tq all of a sudden is producing more like 260hp/260tq. 3rd and 2nd gear is completely normal in these situations.

I actually much prefer to let the motor spin than lug up a hill. Note that torque is directly correlated to cylinder pressures. So peak torque is also peak cylinder pressure for the motor. Said another way, peak combustion pressure, heat, and stress on the motor.

Higher rpms allow the motor to do smaller bits of work, more times a second. From a mechanical point of view, is generally less stress, and allows the transmission to multiply torque to the wheels. Even if I'm not looking to accelerate with peak hp, I would rather let the engine spin higher at lower loads in a climb. This also allows the fluids to circulate faster, improving their cooling and oiling functions. Generally around 4k rpm. Meaning I almost always downshift to S3, and sometimes S2, for my 6 speed tranny.

I actually much prefer to let the motor spin than lug up a hill. Note that torque is directly correlated to cylinder pressures. So peak torque is also peak cylinder pressure for the motor. Said another way, peak combustion pressure, heat, and stress on the motor.

Higher rpms allow the motor to do smaller bits of work, more times a second. From a mechanical point of view, is generally less stress, and allows the transmission to multiply torque to the wheels. Even if I'm not looking to accelerate with peak hp, I would rather let the engine spin higher at lower loads in a climb. This also allows the fluids to circulate faster, improving their cooling and oiling functions. Generally around 4k rpm. Meaning I almost always downshift to S3, and sometimes S2, for my 6 speed tranny.
I think that’s my problem, not getting to higher RPM’s. Today as I move from Capitol Reef to Bryce NP I will try this. Thanks

The higher RPM advice makes sense. I will likely start running mine higher when climbing. I'll try 4K.

Yes, Capital Reef over to Bryce should be a good test. Especially if you are going along Utah 12. (Awesome drive if you haven't done it.) Up/around Boulder Mountain. Then the down and up curves between Boulder and Escalante. Incredible country. You won't quickly forget driving across the "hogback" or "spine" south of Boulder. Pretty cool section of highway.

And, yeah, we'll grab a beer when I'm out in Bend this year. Not a fly fisher (though my father, 3 brothers and son are all excellent fly fishermen.)

Yeah both models I'm considering have slides. The Winnebago 2455BHS is prob gonna be the winner, it's the one I reference above.

If I'm being honest I would prefer the longer/heavier one too, 27BHSS. Way more room but like I say just feels like it will be too big behind the 200. If someone here thinks otherwise lemme know.

We started this whole deal intent on buying a 23D airstream. But after seeing them we decided w 2 young kids that it was just too small. And the one that isn't too small is $90k. So the mother of all TT searches began. We looked at them all. Being new to a TT I had to do a lot of research. It's a very strange industry outside of Airstream.

The 100 stays yes. It's like a family member. The 40 is prolly getting sold tho.

@tabraha love your 200. I have those same tires. They are great.
Did you pull the trigger on the 2455? How's your experience been? Your words expressed between the two models, have been my exact dilemma trying to figure out what would be best for my family. These are the 2 models in my top picks, and I too, feel the 27 would be pushing the limit too close. We have a 2.5 & 5 y/o boys, and we're setting out for a year on the road. I don't really want to sell our '11 LC, as we'll likely drop the TT frequently and just tent camp for some more off the beaten path adventures.

Would love to hear about your time with what you chose.

Did you pull the trigger on the 2455? How's your experience been? Your words expressed between the two models, have been my exact dilemma trying to figure out what would be best for my family. These are the 2 models in my top picks, and I too, feel the 27 would be pushing the limit too close. We have a 2.5 & 5 y/o boys, and we're setting out for a year on the road. I don't really want to sell our '11 LC, as we'll likely drop the TT frequently and just tent camp for some more off the beaten path adventures.

Would love to hear about your time with what you chose.

Our hunt for a modest sized travel trailer to get us to some ‘cool places’ turned into finding a house on wheels that would be restricted to wide paved roads. So we stepped back and hit pause.

We are currently looking again tho, this time with firm size budget limits. Which for us is under 25’ and under 4000lbs.

Good luck with your search, sorry i couldn’t help much.

One suggestion you all might consider is a "hybrid" trailer. Our first trailer a few years ago was a hybrid because we envisioned doing a lot of camping with our son's family. Because the beds fold down with a "tent" roof and sides all of the trailer "box" is for living space, kitchen, bath, etc. It was very roomy for the length and weight. The downside of course is that your bed platforms are surrounded by "tent" material and therefore not as insulated. In one campground in Yellowstone where they have a huge bear issue you can only camp in something with hard sides but that is rare. And in extreme cases you can close up the bed platforms/ends and still use the living space of the trailer. We had a Rockwood 23IKSS Roo and enjoyed it. But to be honest, we didn't need all that space and decided we could go with a fully hardside trailer.

And if you want to have an idea of what it is like to live out of a 26' trailer full time, with 3 kids, watch this.

Trans temp seems to rise below 4th gear, according to my OBD2 reader. So while it might circulate fluid faster, S3 or S2 will almost certainly run hotter than S4, even up a hill. That said, peak torque is in the 3500-5500 RPM range and so that's where I try to keep the engine when climbing hills as well, even mild ones here in the midwest.

Trans temp seems to rise below 4th gear, according to my OBD2 reader. So while it might circulate fluid faster, S3 or S2 will almost certainly run hotter than S4, even up a hill. That said, peak torque is in the 3500-5500 RPM range and so that's where I try to keep the engine when climbing hills as well, even mild ones here in the midwest.

I’m not surprised you saw higher temps, but likely for different reasons.

Interestingly, peak torque is not as meaningful as you guys believe. The old diesel adage that torque equates to pulling power up a hill is not exactly right. It’s power, i.e. HP that does the work to move loads up a hill. The quicker or faster one wants to move that load up a hill, the more HP that is needed. HP includes torque and rpm.

Back to the higher tranny temps. It’s plausable that moving fluid faster within the tranny at higher engine speeds heats up the fluid. What’s also at play and the significant variable in heating up the tranny is that you’re simply putting more power through it when down shifting, to put more pulling power on the ground. If one were downshifting just to raise rpm (and reduce load on the motor), without accelerating, it’s likely the temps wouldn’t move much or even come down. Trannies likewise prefer to spin than to handle large torque input loads.

Separately, peak HP is at 5400 rpm. Let her sing. Might even blow by a few diesels up that hill.

What do you all think about this travel trailer would it be to long for my 2018 lx570 I have 275/60r20’s Bfg d rated tires would load about 600 lbs of people and car seats in the suv

ED9C608D-684D-4224-8B8A-7DFECDC1B9C3.png

What do you all think about this travel trailer would it be to long for my 2018 lx570 I have 275/60r20’s Bfg d rated tires would load about 600 lbs of people and car seats in the suv

I pull this a 2014 ORV Black Rock 22BHS with my stock ‘13 LX570 other than LT tires (KO2s). The specs are somewhat similar. I’ve pulled it ~7-10k miles a summer all over Alaska and NE Canada and on my 5th summer. There are 4 of us and together we weigh ~500lbs, I keep the gear in the LX to a Minimum but the camper is almost always maxed out. I pull with the tanks as close to empty as I can whenever possible. I’ve said it before on here for where I am in Alaska and how I use mine I would want to pull anything heavier. Also a well set up WD/sway is key.

32737DC8-0FBD-45CB-9B8B-97B379D30D8E.png

113AA956-CD4D-4E3E-ADA8-D8CD7AAA977F.png

I pull this a 2014 ORV Black Rock 22BHS with my stock ‘13 LX570 other than LT tires (KO2s). The specs are somewhat similar. I’ve pulled it ~7-10k miles a summer all over Alaska and NE Canada and on my 5th summer. There are 4 of us and together we weigh ~500lbs, I keep the gear in the LX to a Minimum but the camper is almost always maxed out. I pull with the tanks as close to empty as I can whenever possible. I’ve said it before on here for where I am in Alaska and how I use mine I would want to pull anything heavier. Also a well set up WD/sway is key.

View attachment 1740125

View attachment 1740126

Any issues with sway? The weight seems to be fine, I’m more worried about the length and our short wheel base. I think I would set it up with the blue ox system

No issues with sway and just last month I got caught in 60-80 mph winds coming home around Turnagain. Now I will also mention I typically run 55-60 mph and rarely go over that and do 35-40 up the passes. I use a husky round bar hitch with the 1200 lb bars and the separate sway control. Personally I feel the shorter wheelbase is more of an advantage than disadvantage for making your way around campsites and parking. I had a 30’ airstream and pulled it with a f250 diesel before I had the LX and current camper. On the road he f250 was exponentially better towing, pretty much didn’t even know he trailer was there. My opinion on the LX is is does just fine you just can’t be expecting to make great time, slow down and enjoy the ride.

I have a buddy up here that pulls a 28’ featherweight with an ‘08 LX and feels the same way I do. Just slow down a bit and it does great.

Trans temp seems to rise below 4th gear, according to my OBD2 reader. So while it might circulate fluid faster, S3 or S2 will almost certainly run hotter than S4, even up a hill
You’re be right about that.

The Torque Converter can only lockup in direct and overdrive gears. 2008-2015 4th-6th; 2016+ 6th-8th.

I would expect it to tow fine

My Lance 2185 is 25’8”. TW is 780# (measured). I need to get on a scale but I’m likely 5000-5500# loaded.

I will say that the Lance tows better on the highway with the 1000#-rated BlueOx hitch than my older, shorter, and lighter Surveyor did with the ProSeries WD hitch and separate anti-sway. Don’t skimp on the hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom