Towing/ Camping /Trailers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been following GFC for awhile on instagram. Pretty slick, but not a fan of how the side cross bars block bed access from the side. Still, a tundra with this setup would be mighty tempting.

Well, I have the Tundra and it’s Fore Sail!

finished up a redux on my m100 this weekend.......
freshened up the paint.......
added rear stabilizer jacks.......
fabricated spare mount.......(finally)
rebuild a rack for tent (since I robbed for the Gob).......
lined the underside.......
new handbrake.......
extended the tongue and added lock n roll hitch.......

57603088134__EAAC4664-4191-4D6B-9A6D-CB1E1F10C525.JPG
bfcRD3g1Ta+pB+Mf4aKqjw.jpg
0AYtdZ+UTqyXbQLb0tlJxA.jpg
57694341441__D2147218-F405-4F22-A9E6-E617FFE615EB.JPG

Those rack mounts are pimp. Did you fab those up?

Those rack mounts are pimp. Did you fab those up?

no. @metalshaper did them for me...

I actually text him today to try and get a few more. the tent sits on slats that aren't on the mounts. it'd be easier to add a couple more mounts than to take all the old ones off and re drill and mount.....

I think......the tent bounces more than I like. I even ran an extra slat I had from front runner and bolted it to the underside of the rack from front to back.....didnt help...

Very nice work @under_psi. Really like the new paint especially the P40/A10 treatment on the box.

no. @metalshaper did them for me...

I actually text him today to try and get a few more. the tent sits on slats that aren't on the mounts. it'd be easier to add a couple more mounts than to take all the old ones off and re drill and mount.....

I think......the tent bounces more than I like. I even ran an extra slat I had from front runner and bolted it to the underside of the rack from front to back.....didnt help...

I have your mounts ready. I'll bring them home this week and drop them at your garage.

Started adding some interior and exterior lights to the trailer.

First up, light pod mounted under the tent. It is hardwired to the trailer battery with the wires running through the tent floor. Right now it’s only switchable from the main panel but I’m searching for a online switch that I can put inside the tent so I can turn it on in the middle of the night for piss breaks.
F77F3C9A-B3B6-4410-8A92-3F542A05F79D.jpeg

2697BBDD-8268-4E51-8EED-E105343D1DB1.jpeg

45F13C28-076E-4233-B805-DC71C0368100.jpeg

So this is going to make me look stupid as hell, and Im prepared to deal with that.....

So I bought Lee Majors, and was thinking of driving it from memphis to hot springs to wheel. Towing would be much better. My wife drives a 2001 100 series with 180k miles and the 4spd trans where the PO removed the hitch. I daily drive a 2017 Tacoma with towing package. 50k miles.

The tacoma with the towing package can tow up to 6,800 lbs. Already has a 7pin connector, ATF cooler, engine oil cooler, 130 amp alternator, and trailer sway control according to toyotas website. Wanted to pick yalls brains a little bit about towing, as I have very limited experience with it. I have towed a lake boat with a half ton and landscaping equipment in a mini truck in high school.

I was looking at these tow dollies that can fit up to an 80 inch wide tread. They weigh about 550-700 lbs and can be had with electric brakes. Here is an example of one I found.

I figured With the Tow dolly, I could still be within range with the tacoma, as the FJ40 probably weighs around 4,000 lbs. It would be pretty slow. I actually have room to store the dolly at my house, and dont have room to store a full on trailer. I could lock the hubs, put the t case in low, transmission in first gear and then remove the rear driveshaft to keep the front wheels still on the dolly and just have the rear wheels spin free. I am unsure if the fj40 rear axle is full float or not, so I will probably need to bring spare rear axles with me just in case.

The other option would be to Install a hitch to the 100 series, brake controller, leveling hitch, 7 pin connector, etc and try to get a full on trailer and maybe pay for storage for it. This route sounds like a giant pain in the ass.

In the end. Probably shoulda got a tundra over the tacoma. What do you guys think? Tacoma not too bad to pull it right?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom