towing 62 across the country (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to put together a plan for our move and I'm trying to figure out the best value for doing it.

We have a 2000 4runner that is going with us and i thought about using a tow dolly to tow the 62 to San Francisco. She is heavier than the 4runner's capacity, but since i've never towed a vehicle for any distance, I'm not sure if there is any wiggle room with the specs. I figure that I'll drive the 62 in the mountainous areas, but use the dolly on flatter runs.

Thoughts and caveats?

Rent a u haul and tow. Where is the 62 staying in sf?

I'm not leaving in SF. I've decided to take her to Maui, too.

For safety reasons please do not pull the 62 with the runner. It has a very good chance of not ending well.

I would venture to guess the Runner will be loaded down too, which will contribute to GVWR. I wouldn't do it. If you got pulled 1/2 way there and some cop wouldn't let you just drive away, you'd be screwed, or one person stoping short... Just my .02

:beer: R

Pay my fuel bill there and back and some lodging and I will tow it there in Jan. :) serious

With reduced fuel economy in the 4-runner your fuel bill probably wouldn't be much different. Ad in the cost and weight of a full trailer and I would not do it. I towed my Mercedes across the country with my F-250 with a tow dolly and it was horrible. You CANNOT back up with a tow dolly. You will be going south so the mountains are not bad but up North the Rockies are no joke.

I think if you had a trailer with good brakes and your 4-runner was wired for trailer brakes I'm on the other side of the fence that while not as safe as everything else we have, with a good head on your shoulders it would be safe. But we are an overly safe and over engineered society. Everything is dangerous depending on what you compare it to. Risk Mitigation to the best of your ability is the key.

Either way...sounds like you have the ability to drive two vehicles at one time so just do it the whole way.

I think the best option is to ship them. Check around, there are various sites that allow you to get estimates. One I've used is uship.com

That is, unless you want to make it an adventure, take your time and have a great trip across this fantastic country...

Drive both would be the safest bet.

Your 4Runner would likely be able to pull the 62. It's stopping that's the big concern.

What are the weights of both if them ? Each by itself though. I just see very bad things coming trying to slow down / stopping going downhill on one of the mountain passes. Not my kind of fun.

Lets quit dancing around the subject. Plain and simple, the 4RNR is NOT a tow rig, by no stretch of the imagination. Forget the physics behind it, you will be putting yourself AND THOSE ON THE ROAD WITH YOU in jepardy. That is a looooong way to go with the odds stacked against you.

Terry, do you have anyone that would road trip out there with you in the 62? That is the road I would take, and split (or pick up) the return flight ticket for him.

Gets your truck to San Fran, and a good road trip.

Terry, given the costs involved mentioned above -heres what I can offer.
Coming back from Hawaii, our vehicles were shipped from Hawaii straight to east coast..it took nearly a month for our car to get here..but it was in perfect condition. I cant remember what port we picked it up at..(its been a looong time) but it MIGHT be worth looking in to.

After registering with uship.com, I have been inundated with offers from different shippers and the prices have ranged from $900-1600. At $900, it's a no-brainer, because the estimated fuel cost is close to that, but i'm not sure that cheaper is always better. One would think that it just entails pulling it on a semi and away it goes, but apparently there is more to it.

I am also wrestling with the idea of spending $4000 round trip ($900 by land+$1100 by sea each way) or do i just spend $4000 on a truck once I'm there?

We will be giving ourselves ten days, or so, to drive to SF, so we have plenty of time. However, I am concerned that the long, continuous driving will take it's toll on the old girl and I don't want to get halfway and have to figure out what to do with if there is a serious mechanical issue. Our tickets will already be purchased and the dog with be on a quarantine clock, so I won't have the luxury to stick around in Oklahoma while waiting on parts, etc.

I am going to call Matson today. They are the sea shipper and i will ask them about east coast destinations.

I'd look at it like this... Is this particular truck the one you'll want when/if you move back? In two years maybe you'll have the money to get an even cleaner 62. Or a rig to build if your mind moves that way. There's no telling what might happen to it in the time you'll be in HI. If it gets totaled on day 1 then you're out $2000. If it survives and returns back here then you're $4000 into it.

I'd risk storing it here and buying something there with the $4000 you'd spend shipping it there and back. Or sell it now, save the money and let it grow to finance something new if you come back.

If you take it there and back, then you're in it for $4000 you're never gonna get back. That money combined with its selling price might be able to buy one even nicer when you return. Plus you'll be coming back via CA and driving across country so you'll have the ability to research beforehand and maybe pick one up on the way back to NC.

--john

Regarding the drive...steady running is the easiest on a vehicle, it's the stop and go of daily driving that takes its toll on a rig. Letting the rig roll along at 55-60 will make it happy. I'll be glad to come over for a HAMOM to get her ready for the drive. As Stan said above, not a great tow rig but FANTASTIC expedition rigs, driven over much more challenging terrain than I40 west. And, if something bad happens, you have a great network with ONSC and ih8mud, if it's an unobtainium part (are there any for 62's?), then hard decisions may be put at your doorstep, let's hope not.

Yet, isn't that why we drive these things? The fact that Toyota parts are available worldwide?

Re-shipping, cost generally reflect flexibility. If you have "room" on both pickup and drop off, you'll get better prices.

As someone who just saw first hand, again, the vast, unbelievably beautiful country we live in and the fantastic opportunity you have to see a nice piece of it. I'd ship one (I'd pick the 4rnr) and jump in Sandy for a great adventure. 10 days is a very easy drive, I'd take 40 to Vegas, through the valley and up 101 to SF. But that's me...

I'd have to agree with JohnVee's angle. If you're looking at 4k to get it there and back then you need to think long and hard about whether or not you're gonna stay there for a while. I'd leave it with one of us for now and make the move. Then decide if you want it and the cost justifies having it.

For my move in a couple months I'm probably gonna leave Burt here until the spring to save cost on the initial move. I'm buying a super nice little car from a friend on the cheap and traveling light until the spring. Then I'll sell the car for what it costs to get my truck and other items there. Basically I'm breaking even on the cost of this cheap car and only need it to retain it's value until spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom