Tough dog review thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm getting closer to purchasing this system for my rig and am wondering if anyone has added a stronger rear sway bar? Because of the RTT I'm going to have, and rear bumper swing outs, dual spare tires, etc... I'm wondering if I should upgrade the sway bar.
Jason, do you have any input on that?

With the 45mm adjustable rear shocks I think you can adjust the top weight out to your liking. I run a fiberglass RTT and am rear heavy and I'm very happy with the ride on/off road.

I run a stocker sway bar and I'd say 95% of my customers do as well.

J

IMG_20191005_122312100_HDR.jpg

I installed TD 41mm front and 45mm adjustable rear. They are a very nice upgrade over the stock shocks. And the adjustable knob actually changes the dampening behavior!
I have the even lighter LX470 version of the sway bar and I think that my truck leans too much in the turns. I bought a new LC version (slightly thicker) but haven't put it one yet.
You can try the TD setup with your stock sway bar and then later upgrade to Whiteline version if the need be.

Just drove 1100 miles with a fully loaded 12' box trailer, I had the trailer full of kitchen cabinets I just built, The Land Cruiser was full of tools, and 83 cabinet doors, my 6-year-old and all our stuff. It was heavy, and the vehicle was completely level, not lower in the back, just level. It rode fabulous, as it rides great unloaded. I'm happy!

Took first 300+ miles trip with the new TD shocks. I must say this made the trip so much better. With the new alignment (not related to the shocks - I just needed it with the new UCA), the truck is compliant on rough roads and is just a joy to drive.
I had forgotten how much enjoyable 100 series are on road trips.

I'm getting closer to purchasing this system for my rig and am wondering if anyone has added a stronger rear sway bar? Because of the RTT I'm going to have, and rear bumper swing outs, dual spare tires, etc... I'm wondering if I should upgrade the sway bar.
Jason, do you have any input on that?

I have been running the ToughDog setup for 2 years now (53mm Ralph front/45mm adjustable rear on heavy springs) and love the setup. I do run the extended sway bar links, but that's the only upgrade aside from the shocks and springs. I did replace all the sway bar bushings at the time I did the suspension. I've run with a rooftop tent, rear swingout bumper with dual jerry cans and a fully loaded drawer system with a fridge and had zero issues at all. I now tow a small camping trailer with the tent on it and again, have experienced zero handling issues. I can't emphasize enough the value of the 45mm adjustable rears. I am hoping they eventually release an adjustable front, but the 53mm do wonderfully even without adjustment.

One thing to note: take the opportunity to examine your rear control arms (both upper and lower). My rig has driven fantastically until just a few weeks ago. I got underneath and examined the control arms to find that the 21 year old bushings have finally given up the ghost. I'm ordering the new adjustable control arms from Jason and am 100% positive that my rig will drive perfectly once again.

If you were to consider getting a new anti sway bar, then the swayaway one is really nice. But, I do not think an upgrade there is necessary at all.

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_3990.JPG

I have been running the ToughDog setup for 2 years now (53mm Ralph front/45mm adjustable rear on heavy springs) and love the setup. I do run the extended sway bar links, but that's the only upgrade aside from the shocks and springs. I did replace all the sway bar bushings at the time I did the suspension. I've run with a rooftop tent, rear swingout bumper with dual jerry cans and a fully loaded drawer system with a fridge and had zero issues at all. I now tow a small camping trailer with the tent on it and again, have experienced zero handling issues. I can't emphasize enough the value of the 45mm adjustable rears. I am hoping they eventually release an adjustable front, but the 53mm do wonderfully even without adjustment.

One thing to note: take the opportunity to examine your rear control arms (both upper and lower). My rig has driven fantastically until just a few weeks ago. I got underneath and examined the control arms to find that the 21 year old bushings have finally given up the ghost. I'm ordering the new adjustable control arms from Jason and am 100% positive that my rig will drive perfectly once again.

If you were to consider getting a new anti sway bar, then the swayaway one is really nice. But, I do not think an upgrade there is necessary at all.

View attachment 2169056

View attachment 2169057

Appreciate the review and nice set up. I pull a trailer as well. I was considering tough dogs vs iron man. What made you go with TG vs IM? Is yours a 2" lift? How are the heavy springs when not loaded? I have a steel rear bumper, sliders, aluminum front no drawers. Trailtailors website is supposed to be up and running tomorrow, can't wait.

Appreciate the review and nice set up. I pull a trailer as well. I was considering tough dogs vs iron man. What made you go with TG vs IM? Is yours a 2" lift? How are the heavy springs when not loaded? I have a steel rear bumper, sliders, aluminum front no drawers. Trailtailors website is supposed to be up and running tomorrow, can't wait.

It will be up and running at midnight. But, I don't sell anyone a suspension kit without discussing their build and needs. Please contact me directly as always for suspensions.

Jason

Installed this setup with 41F/45R & medium springs about a month ago. So far everything is as others have stated; no negative comments. Very pleased the ride. Planning on TT's UCAs in the very near future to support FLOMFs. (Friendly Local OffRoad Metal Fabricators) Yeah... that's not going to stick.

Threw a bunch of extra weight on my truck this week in the form of a drawer system and loading up for camping. Just had to mention, with the extra weight in the back, the suspension rides so much nicer than even before. I did crank the rear shocks up a few clicks, and it's super smooth.

This is interesting to me. I have always read that the OME systems are a bit on the rougher side but smooth out when there is a constant load.
The PO installed an OME Light/Medium 1.5" kit with WKOR sliders and Falken AT3W 285/75r16 Load E on my truck and normal daily driving seems that things are on the stiffer side.

For me this truck will be wheeled a few times a year, nothing overly hard, mainly see dirt roads when going off road to get the wife and I to different locations. Then in about a year or so we will pick up a small, 5k pound travel trailer to tow with this. I have not intention of adding armor, or winch. At most I will add a Gamiviti rack (probably Expo++ with 1/2 floor) and that will be about the extent of it.

With all that said, would this be remedied to some degree with the 41mm/45mm TD shocks installed front and rear?

This is interesting to me. I have always read that the OME systems are a bit on the rougher side but smooth out when there is a constant load.
The PO installed an OME Light/Medium 1.5" kit with WKOR sliders and Falken AT3W 285/75r16 Load E on my truck and normal daily driving seems that things are on the stiffer side.

For me this truck will be wheeled a few times a year, nothing overly hard, mainly see dirt roads when going off road to get the wife and I to different locations. Then in about a year or so we will pick up a small, 5k pound travel trailer to tow with this. I have not intention of adding armor, or winch. At most I will add a Gamiviti rack (probably Expo++ with 1/2 floor) and that will be about the extent of it.

With all that said, would this be remedied to some degree with the 41mm/45mm TD shocks installed front and rear?
Yes and no. Your load E rated tires will always test the your patience no matter what suspension you go with. TD 41/45mm set up will smooth out most of the stuff but you will still feel the cracks, expansion joints and other small imperfections in the road.

I have about 2" lift on Toyota torsion bars and OME 2865 springs with a 30mm spacer and TD 41/45 mm shocks. I run Load E rated 285/75/16 KO2s.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Your load E rated tires will always test the your patience no matter what suspension you go with. TD 41/45mm set up will smooth out most of the stuff but you will still feel the cracks, expansion joints and other small imperfections in the road.

I have about 2" lift on Toyota torsion bars and OME 2865 springs with a 30mm spacer and TD 41/45 mm shocks. I run Load 3 rated 285/75/16 KO2s.
Ok so what you are saying is that it is more due to the heavy ply tires vs. the actual capability of the suspension. Really the "stiffness" I feel in those situations will only be remedied by softer ply tires.

Ok so what you are saying is that it is more due to the heavy ply tires vs. the actual capability of the suspension. Really the "stiffness" I feel in those situations will only be remedied by softer ply tires.
Larger bumps, pot holes, speed breakers, off road situations, bombing down forest roads are all handled very well by the TD shocks. It also make highway travel a lot more enjoyable.
They are a great improvement over the brand new Toyota OEM shocks I had before. I am just saying that day to street driving with city street imperfections will not be mitigated until you switch to the oh-so-smooth Michelin LTX tires.

It's definitely the tires. I have E rated on mine as well. On the highway, the actual dampening of the truck is incredibly smooth and very comfy. The jarring roughness is without a doubt small, harsh imperfections that the tires are transmitting into the cabin.

Every piece of suspension on my truck is new or newly upgraded. It's the tires.

Heavy E Rated tires definitely make for a harsher ride regardless.

I want to upgrade to TD so bad; can't really justify the cost right now since I've got a functioning OME set up right now. Just chiming in out of jealousy :confused:

I want to upgrade to TD so bad; can't really justify the cost right now since I've got a functioning OME set up right now. Just chiming in out of jealousy :confused:

Last edited:

Do it piecemeal. I'm halfway through the setup (just the rear now), and I'll do the fronts sometime this year. Also switching away from OME (which for the record...was great when unloaded, but then I added a bunch of junk in the trunk).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom