Tough dog review thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm selling my 41mm front, let me know if you're interested.

I need the 54mm (?) as I'm heavy up front (dual battery, winch, ARB bumper). If you don't mind me asking, why are you selling?

Do it piecemeal. I'm halfway through the setup (just the rear now), and I'll do the fronts sometime this year. Also switching away from OME (which for the record...was great when unloaded, but then I added a bunch of junk in the trunk).

Not a bad idea; I'm already laying out money for HID retrofit and I'd like to put a new stereo in, so that's where my priority is for non-maintenance related spend this year.

I need the 54mm (?) as I'm heavy up front (dual battery, winch, ARB bumper). If you don't mind me asking, why are you selling?

53mm Ralph fronts (ToughDog) are the ticket for rough, corrugated roads. 41mm could be fine as the torsion bar is the piece actually bearing the load. If anything, you might need the 32mm ToughDog torsion bar vs the 30mm OME torsion bar if you have that much weight up front. But, the 53mm have much greater volume meaning they take much much longer to heat up. I can run for hours on corrugated gravel without the shocks overheating.

Not a bad idea; I'm already laying out money for HID retrofit and I'd like to put a new stereo in, so that's where my priority is for non-maintenance related spend this year.

Yeah you'll need a bigger shocks. I upgraded to ICONS Stage 3 for my front and kept the rear adjustable TD. I wanted to go fast like a prerunner, and the ICONs get the job done. Nevertheless, the TD was great, just doesn't absorb well at a higher speed.

Yeah you'll need a bigger shocks. I upgraded to ICONS Stage 3 for my front and kept the rear adjustable TD. I wanted to go fast like a prerunner, and the ICONs get the job done. Nevertheless, the TD was great, just doesn't absorb well at a higher speed.

The bigger shocks are only necessary if you want to run corrugations at high speed and over longer distances. If he's simply daily driving and/or doing mild to moderate off-roading over middle distances, than the bigger shocks won't provide any added benefit. Shocks should really be called "dampers" They simply control the rebound and compression speeds/characteristics of the suspension. Those Icon Stage 3s are absolutely the best for handling high speed, aggressive off-road travel over big distances. The TD 53mm Ralphs do great at that, but aren't quite as good as the Icon Stage 3s. 85% of the performance IMO at 1/3rd the cost. The poster is making the classic mistake of assuming the shock is dictated by the weight. It's not. The springs/torsion bars are dictated by the weight. The shocks are dictated by the driving style you want to achieve. The "harder" you want to drive, over what terrain you intend to drive and for how long you'll be traveling over that terrain are the 3 variables to consider when purchasing shocks.

The bigger shocks are only necessary if you want to run corrugations at high speed and over longer distances. If he's simply daily driving and/or doing mild to moderate off-roading over middle distances, than the bigger shocks won't provide any added benefit. Shocks should really be called "dampers" They simply control the rebound and compression speeds/characteristics of the suspension. Those Icon Stage 3s are absolutely the best for handling high speed, aggressive off-road travel over big distances. The TD 53mm Ralphs do great at that, but aren't quite as good as the Icon Stage 3s. 85% of the performance IMO at 1/3rd the cost. The poster is making the classic mistake of assuming the shock is dictated by the weight. It's not. The springs/torsion bars are dictated by the weight. The shocks are dictated by the driving style you want to achieve. The "harder" you want to drive, over what terrain you intend to drive and for how long you'll be traveling over that terrain are the 3 variables to consider when purchasing shocks.

This is good info! To be clear, I don't intend to drive hard and fast - I'm in Colorado, so my driving style is 95% daily driving and then slow-going / overlanding / exploring off pavement around Colorado. I thought I had read in this thread that the 53mm was recommended for vehicles with a heavy front end (like mine).

This is good info! To be clear, I don't intend to drive hard and fast - I'm in Colorado, so my driving style is 95% daily driving and then slow-going / overlanding / exploring off pavement around Colorado. I thought I had read in this thread that the 53mm was recommended for vehicles with a heavy front end (like mine).

Sounds like you will be doing exactly what I do in mine: I travel all over Colorado on varying terrain ranging from rutted and rooted trails to high speed gravel runs over distance...all in a heavier than normal rig...and towing frequently (small camper trailer). I run the 53mm up front and have been very happy. You'd probably feel the same way. If I were wanting to run high speed corrugated roads and whoops for 100s of miles, the Stage 3 would have been the better choice. But, I have no plans to run Baja. Besides, anything faster than 45mph on gravel in a rig over 7k lbs is simply not safe.

I ripped out the AHC on my first LX, a 2004 Blue Vapour metallic, for a Tough Dog set-up. The biggest mistake. I ran the big bore shocks in the front and the foam cell adjustables in the rear with a medium spring. I even went to the TD factory for a look(crappy warehouse). Had the work carried out by Opposite Lock who were great.

It absolutely destroyed my LX. The ride was choppy and awful, laden and unladen. It took months to settle and pushed the fuel economy on the highway from 11.7 to 20.L/100kms. It ruined the car, I just cracked it and traded it for a 200. Incidentally I didnt enjoy that either and am finally happy back in a cream puff LX470 with totally new AHC.

I reflected on it considerably and came to the conclusion that low budget aftermarket suppliers can't compete with the r&d and engineering dollars that Toyota puts into the development of it's systems. AHC is bulletproof and I only ripped mine out due to the jitters I got on mud about failures. I shouldn't have. After getting to know the system better It only needs attention once a decade and the refurb of my current system wasn't expensive at all. The ride is sublime for a ladder chassis solid rear axle vehicle and I like the fact it lowers at highway speeds for fuel economy.

Tough dog might be suitable for a basher 80 series thats given hell everyday and where ride quality isnt a requirement. After the whole experience though it was jittery low budget peasant horse cart setup.

Basically unless you are rock crawling or heavy duty off roading and you still have AHC, i'd do everything you could to maintain it and replace as required. If you can afford to fuel it you can afford to maintain it's robust AHC system.

I approached ARB for an OME kit initially and they told me they can't do Lexus'....even though they had a Sahara gettings its AHC ripped out as I was there. Smh.....

Anyway just my experience with TD. (I've seen their R&D center). Hope others are having better luck.

Last edited:
I ripped out the AHC on my first LX, a 2004 Blue Vapour metallic, for a Tough Dog set-up. The biggest mistake. I ran the big bore shocks in the front and the foam cell adjustables in the rear with a medium spring. I even went to the TD factory for a look(crappy warehouse) as it is only a few hours away here in Vic. Had the work carried out by Opposite Lock who were great.

It absolutely destroyed my LX. The ride was choppy and awful, laden and unladen. It took months to settle and pushed the fuel economy on the highway from 11.7 to 20.L/100kms. It ruined the car, I just cracked it and traded it for a 200. Incidentally I didnt enjoy that either and am finally happy back in a cream puff LX470 with totally new AHC.

I reflected on it considerably and came to the conclusion that low budget aftermarket suppliers can't compete with the r&d and engineering dollars that Toyota puts into the development of it's systems. AHC is bulletproof and I only ripped mine out due to the jitters I got on mud about failures. It only needs attention once a decade and the refurb of my current system wasn't expensive at all. The ride is sublime for a ladder chassis solid rear axle vehicle and I like the fact it lowers at highway speeds for fuel economy.

Tough dog might be suitable for a basher 80 series thats given hell everyday and where ride quality isnt a requirement. After the whole experience though it was jittery low budget peasant horse cart setup.

Basically unless you are rock crawling or heavy duty off roading and you still have AHC, i'd do everything you could to maintain it and replace as required. If you can afford to fuel it you can afford to maintain it's robust AHC system.

I approached ARB for an OME kit initially and they told me they can't do Lexus'....even though they had a Sahara gettings its AHC ripped out as I was there. Smh.....

Anyway just my experience with TD. (I've seen their R&D center). Hope others are having better luck.

Interesting comment considering your previous comments.

1586060482036.png

1586060555458.png

1586060608179.png

1586060670593.png

1586060725535.png

Yep, that was the honeymoon phase. It all went down hill very quickly after that. At least you know i'm telling the truth since you dug that up to be catty.

Have you never changed your mind about anything over the course of years? I was informed by the dealer it would break-in. It never did. Thanks for digging up the story of exactly what I recounted above with hindsight of years and owning that cheap as junk product. Also, being in Cali have you ever been to their premises? They don't have a cent to spare.

Ever bought a new car or product and been unhappy with it as time progressed?

Last edited:
@LX470Mack You’re comparing an aftermarket suspension system designed to withstand off road abuse and a lot of added weight, with AHC on a stock 100. That’s your first problem. Do you have any weight up front? If not then why would you go with the big bore 53mm? That’s your second problem.

Yep, that was the honeymoon phase. It all went down hill very quickly after that. At least you know i'm telling the truth since you dug that up to be catty.

Have you never changed your mind about anything over the course of years?

Truth that you "loved" the suspension. Yes that's true. I have countless happy customers and they sell the suspensions for me by word of mouth. I can't keep them in stock.

It was easy to remember you from all the positive comments you made for quite some time and a simple search pulled everything up you ever said on the parts. I didn't see anything from love to immediate hate.

Comparing an AHC to an offroad conventional kit is like comparing sleeping on the ground versus a king size pillow top. Most anyone knows this after a few miles after install. The TD kits are also much firmer in the beginning as well and then balance out around the 5000 mile mark in my experiences.

Sorry for your disdain towards TD after the "course of years".

@LX470Mack You’re comparing an aftermarket suspension system designed to withstand off road abuse and a lot of added weight, with AHC on a stock 100. That’s your first problem. Do you have any weight up front? If not then why would you go with the big bore 53mm? That’s your second problem.

This was 4 years and 10 cars ago. I was initally enamoured with TD. I grew to dislike it. I had the truck set up perfectly for what I used it for. Canning Stock Route, Cape York corrugations. I got the Big Bore to deal with the corrugations and to prevent overheating. All those comments were before some of the big trips. I needed new fillings.

Truth that you "loved" the suspension. Yes that's true. I have countless happy customers and they sell the suspensions for me by word of mouth. I can't keep them in stock.

It was easy to remember you from all the positive comments you made for quite some time and a simple search pulled everything up you ever said on the parts. I didn't see anything from love to immediate hate.

Comparing an AHC to an offroad conventional kit is like comparing sleeping on the ground versus a king size pillow top. Most anyone knows this after a few miles after install. The TD kits are also much firmer in the beginning as well and then balance out around the 5000 mile mark in my experiences.

Sorry for your disdain towards TD after the "course of years".

You're a sarcastic fellow aren't you! I guess you have never changed your mind about anything, ever.

I grew to be very disappointed with it after some longer trips into remote parts of the country.

God forbid an Australian should be able to criticise an Australian product.

Last edited:

Correct, bigger is not better with these components. I have seen this too many times. Guys call in and want the 53 and 45mm and are stock to little weight/gear added. This is why I do not sell my TD 100 kits on the website. I talk with everyone prior to buying a kit or shocks from me. Just because that's what you want doesn't mean you get it from me. I don't sell just to sell, ask anyone.

J

You're a sarcastic little fellow aren't you. I guess you have never changed your mind about anything, ever.

I grew to be very disappointed with it after some longer trips into remote parts of the country.

God forbid a Victorian should be able to criticise a Victorian product.

I've changed my mind plenty, but I would have never dealt with a unsatisfactory product for years before I changed to a new product or I started reporting my dislikes like flipping a light switch on and off.

Victoria? Tough Dog was in Blacktown, NSW since I've been dealing with them in 2013 and now are in Marsden Park, NSW and all R&D and testing is done in those facilities and in the Sydney area and always has.

I've changed my mind plenty, but I would have never dealt with a unsatisfactory product for years before I changed to a new product or I started reporting my dislikes like flipping a light switch on and off.

Victoria? Tough Dog was in Blacktown, NSW since I've been dealing with them in 2013 and now are in Marsden Park, NSW and all R&D and testing is done in those facilities and in the Sydney area and always has.

Just to re-iterate, I got the jitters with all the AHC threads on Mud. I was planning to eventually do some big trips. Intially I was very happy with the product. Intially. It was totally unbearable on corrugations on a big trip, I needed pan hard rods to reduce the body roll, AHC corners dead flat. Every little imperfection on the tarmac was felt too. It was not different whether the LX was laden or unladen. It was just an atrocious suspension setup in the end and I grew to be very disappointed with it. I probably thought the world of it originally prior to those trips and i'd say whilst operable the AHC I was running on that truck was getting close to needing new spheres.

I had all new spheres, struts, pump and sensors done on my current truck and its totally unbeatable. It rides better than our 570. In sport it corners totally flat for a big truck and in comfort on local washboards its pleasant.

I'd be keen to try out someones OME as that comes very well regarded. But as somebody who owned TD and eventually got around to touring with it, I have a right to comment on my experience with it. You're an overseas rep for it, of course you're trying to defend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom