Tough dog review thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Before and after. (Actually after and before-) o_O

550ED956-EE6B-426D-9498-030FC2F22DD6.jpeg

56D00B2F-2FE6-46F4-9EA5-1AC74D638424.jpeg

@OOCustoms looks great and impressive results in new ride height. What all did you install?
How is it absorbing road bumps and handling in turns?

The lift is the 2.5" Tough Dog kit, with extended sway bar links. Ride quality is quite nice, with rear shocks set to softer setting there is a bit of body roll, but not anything really noticeable.

What's your front hub to fender measurement?

Not sure of your front UCA's but with anything above 22" hub to fender measurement and with stock upper control arms and your going to be above the recommended droop level in most cases.

I have the Ralph's and run similar tire pressure and it's pretty smooth, but my front end is fairly heavy.

Running stock UCAs. I'm at 21.5 hub to fender, and i think a little over 24 when jacked up, so I'm within range of droop.

I realized my rears were set to 6, not 5, so i changed that and increased my pressure to 36 from 34, it feels much better surprisingly, not as bouncy in the rear and it doesn't buck on the freeway, buck being a very extreme word to use in this case. No improvement on body roll.

All things considered, seems like it should be pretty good then.

You probably wouldn't like mine then, I haven't ran a front sway bar for a couple years probably :grinpimp:. I do find I have to watch my driving style slightly after I've been driving the LX570 for a bit when going back to the 100 series because of the potential for more body roll.

Maybe the excessive body roll is perceived from how comfortable you are driving your own vehicle vs. your friends. Hard to say, hopefully you can get it how you like it though. :beer:

All things considered, seems like it should be pretty good then.

You probably wouldn't like mine then, I haven't ran a front sway bar for a couple years probably :grinpimp:. I do find I have to watch my driving style slightly after I've been driving the LX570 for a bit when going back to the 100 series because of the potential for more body roll.

Maybe the excessive body roll is perceived from how comfortable you are driving your own vehicle vs. your friends. Hard to say, hopefully you can get it how you like it though. :beer:

I've driven his very aggressively, I'm starting to wonder if having shorter sway bar links make a difference. I also changed all the hardware when extending mine, so it's not that either.

Jason said it'll get better once i add a winch, but my plans changed and I'm not sure when that's going to happen, so I'm going to figure out a way to strap about 80 to 100 pounds to the front and see how it feels, otherwise, ii might end up buying the smaller td shocks or front foam cell pros. I'll update once i try it out.

upload_2018-12-21_18-18-36.jpeg

upload_2018-12-21_18-20-37.jpeg

Got my front end to come up a bit. Maxed out at 50mm of droop. That rear end is definitely up there. I guess I need a rear bumper . I’ve had a lot of lowered vehicles so I’m kind of used to a sporter ride. My rears are dialed in at 6 clicks. Ride is good with no complaints.

Does anyone have any advice on how to tighten the top shock nuts in the rear without the shock spinning? This thing is beating me up. I really don't want to cut a hole in my floorboard.

Also, any specific washers we need to use between the bushings and the body mount? I'm deleting AHC and I guess I need to find some washers to use, since the TD kit didn't come with the middle set. Thanks!

Does anyone have any advice on how to tighten the top shock nuts in the rear without the shock spinning? This thing is beating me up. I really don't want to cut a hole in my floorboard.

Also, any specific washers we need to use between the bushings and the body mount? I'm deleting AHC and I guess I need to find some washers to use, since the TD kit didn't come with the middle set. Thanks!

I’m not sure what kind of shocks you have but with the tough dogs the only way that I could keep it from spinning was to take a thin set of vice grips and clamp them on the top of the shock post with the wrench already on the nut just underneath them.they will spin around until they hit the frame and stop the shock from spinning

I’m not sure what kind of shocks you have but with the tough dogs the only way that I could keep it from spinning was to take a thin set of vice grips and clamp them on the top of the shock post with the wrench already on the nut just underneath them.they will spin around until they hit the frame and stop the shock from spinning

I’ve got the 45mm adjustables, and I hadn’t tried that yet. I may forego the nylock nut in favor of a regular nut with a lock washer.

Looking to place my order and I have a few questions. I will give you a call Monday. Until then would you tell me the package I would need if I wanted the least amount of lift? I do want a lift but would like to keep it 2" or less. I'm 90% pavement but my wife and I do several road trips with mild to moderate trails about 5 times a year. We carry some gear and a rtt, so I would want the rear to be able to handle that with minimal sag. My current shocks and springs are done (213k on my '98). I am wanting new shocks, springs and TBs. can you give me a quick round down on what you think would be my best option to fit my needs and a ball park price? Thanks

@SPACEBOY Did you end up installing them
Yourself or using someone in DFW? Looking to add 41mm onto front and rear by a Dallas installer and ordering soon.

Yourself or using someone in DFW? Looking to add 41mm onto front and rear by a Dallas installer and ordering soon.
I have not yet. But highly recommend Tandem in Haltom City, talk to Tom, tell him Fox recommended them. Great guys who know their stuff, all of the techs own Toyotas, from 80's to Tacomas and 4Runners, treated me great. Very good prices. I will be servicing my 100 by them from here on out. Have done a lot of things to the 100 by them at what I felt were great prices. They have the owners best interest in mind as far as prices and what really "needs" to be done as opposed to what benefits their bottom line. Honest and trustworthy, just my honest opinion.

I went with Fox 2.0s at OEM length for the interim, as my stock shocks were s***. They did a rebuild on my CVs, new SPC UCAs, new steering rack bushings, adjusted TBs, alignment, installed new intake manifold gasket and replaced starter while everything was off for intake manifold gasket. And because everything was removed for manifold gasket, didn't charge extra labor for starter, as it is under intake manifold. Most places would have added that labor.

I was curious how these rear springs would handle my tent trailer. The tongue weight is pretty heavy, I cannot pick it up at all. The total trailer weight is about 2800 lbs, which isn’t bad but it’s front heavy for sure. I drove from Flagstaff to San Diego (about 450 miles) and it rode perfectly. The trailer leveled out the Land Cruiser but it was not lower in the back, which I cannot stand so that’s good. Then, I pulled my bass boat back another 450 miles with the trailer weight at about 3500 lbs. this drove absolutely perfect. I’m so happy with this suspension, seriously. I normally have the rear shocks on like 3-4 because I like the cushion. I turned it up a few clicks when pulling the trailers and it’s great. Rides great with an empty Land Cruiser and rides great while trailering.

I was curious how these rear springs would handle my tent trailer. The tongue weight is pretty heavy, I cannot pick it up at all. The total trailer weight is about 2800 lbs, which isn’t bad but it’s front heavy for sure. I drove from Flagstaff to San Diego (about 450 miles) and it rode perfectly. The trailer leveled out the Land Cruiser but it was not lower in the back, which I cannot stand so that’s good. Then, I pulled my bass boat back another 450 miles with the trailer weight at about 3500 lbs. this drove absolutely perfect. I’m so happy with this suspension, seriously. I normally have the rear shocks on like 3-4 because I like the cushion. I turned it up a few clicks when pulling the trailers and it’s great. Rides great with an empty Land Cruiser and rides great while trailering.
Which springs so you have? I have the gold tough dog springs at the lighter load and i noticed it drives perfect when towing.

I just placed my order the other day and Jason suggested the #660-#1100 springs because I will have a bumper and my tent trailer has a 400 lb tongue weight. I will be very interested in how the shocks perform on an otherwise stock set-up before I get the bumper and the storage in the cargo area.

I just placed my order the other day and Jason suggested the #660-#1100 springs because I will have a bumper and my tent trailer has a 400 lb tongue weight. I will be very interested in how the shocks perform on an otherwise stock set-up before I get the bumper and the storage in the cargo area.

I have those springs in the dual rate. When I ran without a bumper, it was a little rough and there was a little bit of stink-bug rake. But, I added a BIOR bumper and things got smooth real quick. Added an RTT in November and the rig runs smooth with no noticeable squat. Recently towed a 2k lb trailer. Again, 0 issues. I think you'll really love those springs once you add the weight.

Which springs so you have? I have the gold tough dog springs at the lighter load and i noticed it drives perfect when towing.
I have no idea what springs I have, I should pay attention to these things. Need to ask Jason and let you know.

Mine were stiff too and sat high for about 500 miles, not bad but it really smoothed out after break-in.

I have the Ralphs as well. Stock weight truck with sliders. It's firm, but not harsh. I suspect when I put an ARB on next week it'll get cushier. Will update.

I forget what I put my rears on but I think it was on the softer side, maybe 3? I'll play with it before and during a road trip this weekend. Same thing though, firm but not harsh. Springs are 865s for now.

Edit: @ibrahim83 did you replace your control arms as well? If not, I'd wonder if maybe they became a weak point and you're now getting heightened symptoms of worn UCAs. Just a thought. If you did, then yeah it's bizarre.
Nope, stock uca's. I keep wondering the same thing, if it'll ride better with aftermarket units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom