Total or not ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My beloved Lexus was in a accident today, some one rammed into my passenger side and I lost control and slammed into someone else. All happened at 28 mph, but the angle of impact was such that the LX took quite a bit of damage. Fortunately no one was hurt which is superb. How do I talk to my insurer regarding the claim ?
Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

LX.jpg

LX1.jpg

LX3.jpg

LX4.jpg

Last edited:
At first glance, that looks like very minor damage. You should be fine, especially if it was not your fault. Search the forum - there have been numerous threads about cars being totaled, dealing with insurance companies, etc.

I'm no insurance agent, but I can't see this being a total.

At first glance, that looks like very minor damage. You should be fine, especially if it was not your fault. Search the forum - there have been numerous threads about cars being totaled, dealing with insurance companies, etc.
I'm no insurance agent, but I can't see this being a total.
Well that is good, I have spent so much time on baseling this that it would really hard to replace and I don't think I will get anything form the insurance either.

If someone hit you it should go on their insurance. Hate to say, but I bet it will be totaled. I had a similar hit last summer, just the rear door, and it was $6.5k in repairs. Came very close to being totaled.

Total Loss for sure. ARB pushed into the rad support, headlight panel, lots of broken tabs I'm sure, guessing you popped the hood after?, complete right side, replace both doors and cladding, probably the post and the dog leg, which means paint and blend into the quarter... Rear axle looks bent to me. It's a goner I'm afraid, well over 15g in damages would by my guess. Start searching for comparable to argue your case plus wasn't your fault...

Totaled, unfortunately. But should be a cheap buy back and possibly easy repair if you dont mind cutting a few corners and keeping it as a no F's given trail rig.

If someone hit you it should go on their insurance. Hate to say, but I bet it will be totaled. I had a similar hit last summer, just the rear door, and it was $6.5k in repairs. Came very close to being totaled.
Yes someone did hit me which made me loose control. It was like a calculated pit maneuver because I lost complete control of where I was going. The doors might not look bad in this picture but the front has extensive damage.

Total Loss for sure. ARB pushed into the rad support, headlight panel, lots of broken tabs I'm sure, guessing you popped the hood after?, complete right side, replace both doors and cladding, probably the post and the dog leg, which means paint and blend into the quarter... Rear axle looks bent to me. It's a goner I'm afraid, well over 15g in damages would by my guess. Start searching for comparable to argue your case plus wasn't your fault...
I am afraid you are right on your assessment. I did not pop the hood and did not attempt to, it is pinned down by the ARB. I drove it back home and did not see any leaks or engine noises. I suspect the frame horns the ARB rides on could be bent as well.

Totaled, unfortunately. But should be a cheap buy back and possibly easy repair if you dont mind cutting a few corners and keeping it as a no F's given trail rig.
I would love to buy back but I live in an apartment and it would be hard to work on it there. I am going to ask them about buy back for sure. Last week I put 1500$ in front end, brakes, bearings, hubs, rotors, motor mounts, trans mount, new battery all OEM. I started a new job and wanted it ready for winters and get everything out of the way. :-(

Remember the goal of insurance is to make you “whole”, in the same condition you started. Start gathering every receipt and comp. If their insurance is going to be an issue, pay you deductible, assuming you have better coverage and have your insurance sue them to make you whole. Fortunately the used market is insane for comps.

The damage is a little more extensive than I thought. The inside vent next to the door is also pushed in. The front is a can of worms that I don't want to touch because I am 5 hours away from home.

1974BC35-D8AF-4117-AB6C-D1E6CF53862F.jpeg

B087D163-0B31-4460-83B0-8D78C4E31E76.jpeg

E3BB526A-8C8A-4386-9BAB-31FB2C43C3D7.jpeg

067E5AED-EDCC-4DB8-B625-94897B644FD3.jpeg

D1E12E37-2DBA-4DD4-B093-F3DAA19CE398.jpeg

3D86A330-D499-4110-89CF-210343813D6A.jpeg

85966533-FED7-49D7-A21E-A200AD68B8CC.jpeg

69135270-7A3F-4828-BED8-320768B9B4D4.jpeg

Remember the goal of insurance is to make you “whole”, in the same condition you started. Start gathering every receipt and comp. If their insurance is going to be an issue, pay you deductible, assuming you have better coverage and have your insurance sue them to make you whole. Fortunately the used market is insane for comps.

And remember to include "diminution of value" as part of making you whole. Dimunition of value is a legal / insurance term that your car will be worth less even after all repairs are completed because it will show an accident in it's history. Most states require insurance companies to compensate you for diminished value, but they rarely will offer payment for that if you don't tell them.

It's tricky to put a number on it. I think I was able to get about $3K on my wife's 2007 Sequoia a few years back when somebody dinged her car. An auto broker friend of mine was able to use Manheim Auction tools to help me put a number on the diminished value, but you might be able to come up with your own number using asking prices in Craigslist. There aren't enough LCs for sale where you could ever do this directly, so you'd likely have to use a high volume car - maybe a 4Runner, Tacoma, or Tundra - and look at the % difference in asking prices for repaired cars vs clean cars and then apply that % to the LC value.

Must have been a pretty hard hit into the car in front of you? With the damage to the ARB, what did the other car look like?

Just curious, was your ARB drilled and pinned in place when it was installed?

Good luck getting things sorted out!

And remember to include "diminution of value" as part of making you whole. Dimunition of value is a legal / insurance term that your car will be worth less even after all repairs are completed because it will show an accident in it's history. Most states require insurance companies to compensate you for diminished value, but they rarely will offer payment for that if you don't tell them.

It's tricky to put a number on it. I think I was able to get about $3K on my wife's 2007 Sequoia a few years back when somebody dinged her car. An auto broker friend of mine was able to use Manheim Auction tools to help me put a number on the diminished value, but you might be able to come up with your own number using asking prices in Craigslist. There aren't enough LCs for sale where you could ever do this directly, so you'd likely have to use a high volume car - maybe a 4Runner, Tacoma, or Tundra - and look at the % difference in asking prices for repaired cars vs clean cars and then apply that % to the LC value.
This is 100% accurate. Had to deal with it for my Model S right after getting it. There are third party “appraisers” you can use to help justify the diminished value.

Good luck

Get every receipt, cause you know it's going to the salvage yard, and hope you get as much as possible, don't settle until you get a number that makes sense. Stretch it out as long as possible, hopefully the idiot that hit you has good coverage, and is legal to drive.

Lastly, keep those scs wheels, and take off the good stuff, and start a new, lol. good luck

Thanks, I took a day off my new job unfortunately a unpaid day to collect the receipts and to get some stuff off the LX. Fortunately I do have the old wheels so I am going to swap them out first. Luckily I have good collision coverage with a very small deductible and my insurance person found me at no fault so I might be able to get some rental reimbursement from the other guy.

Thanks, I will use this information. I am waiting for the adjuster to call. I used self option with the insurance so let's see what happens. If that does not work I might take it to their approved body shops as well.
Get every receipt, cause you know it's going to the salvage yard, and hope you get as much as possible, don't settle until you get a number that makes sense. Stretch it out as long as possible, hopefully the idiot that hit you has good coverage, and is legal to drive.

Lastly, keep those scs wheels, and take off the good stuff, and start a new, lol. good luck
Thanks, I am hoping they arrive to a number that makes sense. I am for sure taking those wheels off, and other than that there is nothing much that I can get off. Any ideas ? lol

I always have a master plan. It resembles what people were doing to VAG during the diesel buyback.

Update: It has been totaled by GIECO, they are offering me cash value and basically told me we don't care how much you spent on up keep, or the market price of the LX. This is what you will get. They sent me CCC report to dispute if I want to but I don't know what to dispute on it. He basically told me we are not a warranty just here to help you a little.

You can certainly engage your own insurance to help with this. But, I don't get what you aren't sure about disputing - the value. Pull comparable sales and listings for similar year, model, miles. But, be aware that the more you jack up the amount you're asking for, the more they're going to want from you for buy back (if you do that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom