Torque wrench? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A while ago I did a test with 3 wrenches: A new cheap 1/2" clicker, an ancient Craftsman 1/2" clicker and a new cheap beam wrench. All three produced results that were shockingly close to each other. I think I was torqing to about 75ftlb so that might affect the test. Clearly not a statistical sampling but it improved my confidence in all 3 wrenches. For smaller bolts, I like the beam style better.

Since i ran my own shop we used Snap On, Proto, along with CDI torque wrench's and torque screw drivers

cditorque.com - http://www.cditorque.com/

Last edited:
Precision instruments makes really good twin beam torque wrenches. I've got 3 of these in 1/2" drive. One in the racecar/track day tool box, one at home, one at work. About $150 smart-shopper price, or $350 from Snap-On. The difference is that the Snap-On one comes in a red box. Made in the same factory. Treat it well, it will last a lifetime of use. 20-250 lbs.ft.

For smaller fasteners (inside engines, etc) we use a Snap-On micrometer click-type.

It would seem that CDI is now the maker of Snap On torque wrench's

The most respected name in Torque Tools, Testers & Calibration Equipment

CDI was founded in 1968 and over the years has developed into a world class torque products manufacturing company. The company earned its ISO 9001 International Quality System Certification in 1998, demonstrating a commitment to provide our customers with the highest quality torque measurement and torque limiting devices in the world. Today, the CDI Brand is now part of Snap-on Specialty Tools, a member of the Snap-on Incorporated family of companies. Snap-on Specialty Tools manufactures products for other Snap-on businesses and select OEM and industrial customers world-wide.

CDI is a primary supplier of torque wrenches and torque screwdrivers to the GSA (General Service Administration of the U.S. Government) since 1968. All CDI products are individually serialized and meet or exceed appropriate ASME and ISO standards. CDI's mechanical torque product lines include click type torque wrenches, dial indicating torque wrenches, torque limiting screwdrivers, calibration equipment and a number of special application torque products. CDI has long been a major innovator and leader in electronic torque measurement and torque calibration equipment.

All Snap-on Specialty Tools employees recognize the importance of our customers' satisfaction with our products and services. We have a full time Product Development Team dedicated to develop and deliver innovative new torque products.

Thank you for providing us the opportunity to serve you.

Any torque wrench will do the job properly, you just have to make sure it has been calibrated. The most expensive torque wrench in the world has to be calibrated regularly, so you know it's correct.

Any rental tool can be easily calibrated/checked using a known weight suspended at a known distance. The deviation, if any, will be linear.
Something like this?

I have two torque wrenches, a 3/8 drive one for lower torque values, and a 1/2 drive one for higher ones. The 3/8 drive is a mid-range one from Kincrome, the 1/2 drive one is an Aldi special. Both do the job. The fact is, for almost everything, torque values aren't critical. +/- 10% isn't going to matter. If I was torquing head bolts I'd check calibration beforehand, but other than that, you've got some tolerance anyway. The most important thing is to treat them right, make sure you take load off the spring when you store them, and don't drop/throw/abuse them, or use them as breaker bars. I'm pretty comfortable they'll come calibrated well enough from anywhere, and treat them right and they'll last a long time.

Something like this?

Pretty much. That's the ASTM procedure in a nutshell. You can calculate your measured toque deviation from the deviation expected from the observed/actual weight/length. If it matters to you. It doesn't to me, or to Toyota; that's why there's a range for all torque values.

FWIW, the torque adapters are just digital torque wrenches. They require calibration too, and the procedure is exactly the same.

I have Snap on 3/8 and 1/2 like shown in the original post as well as Matco and Mac dial type inch pound that I bought in the late 80's. I worked at a Caterpillar dealership and they required all torque wrenches and multi meters to be sent out for calibration quarterly. They paid for it. They would come back with paperwork that would describe work done or say within spec. Mine NEVER needed adjustment up until the time I quit in 2004. I had them checked a couple years ago and they were still in spec.

Something like this?

All of my most important tools are high quality.

Torque wrenches I buy Snap On or MAC or the old Craftsman.

I buy mine from eBay.

I do some shopping to figure out what part number I want. Then I find that part number on eBay and watch the sales on them to see how much they are going for. They are typically running 60% -70% of new.

Then I look to see who's bidding and how much their bid increments are and when they are bidding.

Then I figure out which auctions are closing at obscure times.

Then I choose the two or three that I can live with based on amount of scratches, carrying case, how greasy they are or dented. I choose the best quality I can get. I establish how much I'm willing to pay based on 50% of new, then adjust from there.

Then I wait until 30 seconds or less before an auction is closing, go in and snipe with a bid that is 2.27x what the other guy's normal bids have been, that way they would have to bid at least twice in the last 30 seconds in order to get it.

Most times I win it with that strategy.

The reason I buy the Snap On or those of that level, is because then I can stop by my local Snap-On truck when he's at a shop near me, and have him check the calibration on it and adjust or repair it for free. Then I have a Certified Calibrated TW for my needs for much less than new price.

Every time I am finished using my TW, it gets wipes off, take it back to its lowest setting (but NOT below) and it is gently placed back in my tool box or special place for them.
I do NOT let others borrow my TW's. If they do and they drop it, I kick them in the nuts and make them buy me another one.

I will only buy a Proto or a HF version if I am in a critical time frame and I don't have a tool and MUST finish something for critical reasons and that is rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom