Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mounting the Hurricane air hopefully for the final install. Not a lot of room for hands in the dash when securing the hoses. One large box off the garage floor soon!
Just in case anyone is wondering, here are the parts I'm using for the AC/Heat. The controls will go in the last open spot in the dash. Not entirely sure my wiper and headlight switch will still fit but hope to figure that out this evening. One thing i almost missed was the backlighting for the AC/Heat controls. Don't forget to wire those to the park light circuit.

dash4.26.2021.jpg

Dash controls in, backlight is functional. And barely had room for my switches.

20210427_202001.jpg

Besides your switches, how tight was it for the air ducts and the wiring behind the dash? I’m a bit worried about that part on mine.

extremely tight.. Lessons learned to conserve dash space..
1.. I should have cut the defrost ducts shorter. The windshield in the early 60's FJ40 and FJ45's had a large defrost duct that we cut to allow the windshield to lay down. See the picture attached.. Shortening the distance the lower section of the defrost comes into the dash cavity would have been very beneficial.
2.. Wires.. Tuck those things up high and tight to the firewall. I did and it BARELY cleared everything. I tried to terminate everything closer to the dash and the glovebox. Without fuel injection there will be a lot less wiring.
3. This tool is your friend.. WOW did it pay for itself last night. There are 2 tiny nuts securing the control panel to the dash. Impossible to get a wrench up there.
Amazon product ASIN B07QR174S9I imagine it will also be very handy installing the door hinges on the A pillar.

smallsgreen.jpg

Needed a small win after a setback.. So decided to finish up the wiring on the 1975 Warn 8274. Test fire of the old 8274.
The 8274 now features a 5 wire plug and remote, albright solenoid, new motor on the winch, new 2/0 wiring, upgraded gigglepin brake parts, gigglepin locking clutch engagement handle, and a drain plug.

I had a setback earlier in the week, stripped a banjo bolt in the fuel rail that went to the cold start injector. I was pretty bummed but it could have been worse.. When i test fired the motor I noticed a leak on the manifold, well that leak was gas from the fuel rail. I got lucky and shut it down before it burned down. Tried putting new gaskets in the banjo, still leaked, tried tightening a touch more and it got really loose.. We all know that feeling of hey, i think i have it tight and it won't leak, then ohh Fudge.. it went too easy.. Found a spare fuel rail in the parts piles, pulled the manifold apart. Good thing as i found the fuel pulsation dampener was on it's last legs. They are ready to fail when the little screw in the middle decides to part ways with the assembly. Pulled a spare off my old 3fe. I knew the one on my old 3fe sitting in the corner was good cause i replaced it before retiring that motor.

So THis time i am using an an4 hose to an AN / Metric fitting on the fuel rail and an metric banjo bolt to AN4 at the cold start injector. Tear down and reassembly.
fuelrail1.jpg
fuelrail1.jpg

fuelrail2.jpg

fuelrail3.jpg

fuelrail4.jpg

bent front axle housing and bent drivers side leaf spring changed over the weekend. Science experiment to try and save the parabolic springs under the front. Used half of a set we had from @Chef 's FJ45 which were too short but i only needed the lower spring of the 2. Installed an ARB diff, used a straight axle housing, rebuild the knuckles with the SST to set shims and preload, new knuckle studs. Rear later this week. Waiting on fuel pulsation dampener gaskets and my glass. Garage cleaning then maybe back to some other paint work, it would be nice to paint a bezel and roof cap to make this look a bit more like a vehicle.

axle5.16.jpg

axle 5.16.2.jpg

axle5.16.4.jpg

axle5.16.3.jpg

Little difficult to get back in shop and wrench. I miss my friend and his ability to bench press a differential into the housing. While I was waiting for a memorial radio show in his honor I took apart the rear axle and installed a rear ARB with 3.73 gears. Jenn and I drank beer in front of the FJ45 and listened to his band mates honor him on a local radio show.

20210530_192621.jpg

20210531_141436.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

Things are getting back to normal ish. Huge shout out to @2fpower for 10 hours in the garage today. Installed corner glass. Grabbed some doors and uppers and got most everything lined up. Set a top on her and came up with more ideas on how to wrap this project up.

20210606_125652.jpg

20210606_154617.jpg

20210606_154625.jpg

Got back in the garage to do some reorganization and a couple small projects. The booster on the 45 had no adjustment left and the pcv hose mounting tabs on the 3fe blocked it from being removed. (i'll fix that later) fabbed up some 3/8" spacers i could slide in behind the booster. Test fire and it seems to have boosted brakes again. Since the sewing machine was out I made a few winch rope retainers. I like the design of the "grabber" but wanted a few more wraps.

boosterspacer.jpg

homemadegrabber.jpg

Finally got my head from the shop. Ill type up pn#s later but LS valves decked a bit. Since we replaced plugs in alans Sun I kept them for this paint job. Perfect since he had used them for his engine paint job! Let this dry overnight and start the reassembly so I can get some shop space back! Thank you @2fpower for all the machine shop communications. Shop dog really don't care.

View attachment 2479978

View attachment 2479980

View attachment 2479981

View attachment 2479982
Do you have the PN's for the LS valves & springs? I keep reading about these, but can never nail down what exactly folks are using for this upgrade. Great build, thanks for documenting!

Do you have the PN's for the LS valves & springs? I keep reading about these, but can never nail down what exactly folks are using for this upgrade. Great build, thanks for documenting!
I believe these are the #'s
Intake 1.89 x 8mm x 4.890
6 SEV-01934 Intake valve
SEV-01934 GM IN 4.8/5.3 1.890 99-On

Exhust 1.55 x 8mm x 4.990
6 SEV-01935 Ex. Valve
SEV-01935 GM EX 4.8/5.3/5.7 LS 1.550 99-On

Portflow Series SI Valves.

I believe these are the #'s
Intake 1.89 x 8mm x 4.890
6 SEV-01934 Intake valve
SEV-01934 GM IN 4.8/5.3 1.890 99-On

Exhust 1.55 x 8mm x 4.990
6 SEV-01935 Ex. Valve
SEV-01935 GM EX 4.8/5.3/5.7 LS 1.550 99-On

Portflow Series SI Valves.
Thanks! Do you know what springs were used?

No i do not. he might have used the stock toyota springs and keepers. or at least the toyota keepers with chevy springs.

FJ45 Roof & The Hold downs for the front of the windshield. I'm using what i believe to be a gozzard FJ45 roof cap. That has been floating around the country for many moons with many Mud users. I wanted to retain the cool hold down clips across the front. So a few new tools were acquired; a rivet cutter, air rivet gun with proper rivet set kit, 3/16 brazier head alum rivets, SEM panel adhesive and 3/16" cleco's of different lengths. (KHD Cleco's are 1/4-1/2" grip range and standard Cleco's are 0-1/4" grip). My cab needed a quick 1/4" shim under the passenger front mount to properly line up everything else. That completed next was test fitting the virgin roof panel. Then the scary part of drilling the holes in the perimeter and properly locating them. Button head cap metric screws, a CAD template (cardboard aided design) and some lipstick and i had my marks.. Test fit the cap. Then start test-fitting the front clips. Do a few test rivets in some scrap before committing. Locate the front hold down clips, take the roof off, finish test fitting with the longer cleco's. Use panel adhesive and rivets and hope you don't screw it up. I did manage to "smiley face" one rivet head. Not sure i want to fix it yet.

rivet supplies1.jpg

rivetsupplies2.jpg

testrivet1.jpg

testcleco1.jpg

rivet1.jpg

rivet2.jpg

Next order of business.. Figure out why the 3fe had a high idle. Pulled the IAC and throttle body off the spare 3fe in the corner and start learning a new math skill. How to Ohm out all the electronics. a lot of reading here on mud and in the FSM. Cleaned up the spare throttle body and it seemed to test correctly. Swapped it, found a loose hose clamp on a water hose, found what probably caused the high idle in the first place (air leak on intake hose) and the idle came back down.
I did proactively order new o-rings for the IAC (O-Rings 40mm OD 36mm ID 2mm Width) they should be here tomorrow along with a much better volt tester. Plan to test the throttle body i pulled, i just couldn't get it to read the correct ohms. It may need a new TPS.
Mini freak out session when i was looking for small decent hose clamps in the garage, in my frustration I hopped on Amazon to order a batch, realized i had apparently ordered 25 hose clamps of the exact size i was looking for in November. Well they have to be here somewhere!.. Voila.. Found next to the other hose clamps, they had not made it out of the bag and into the hose clamp bin. Small victories.

sparethrottlebody.jpg

math.jpg

highidle.jpg

regularidle.jpg

Thanks, was pretty nervous , didn't want to destroy the fiberglass. Figured there were millions of these done on corvettes so it has to work. Actually watched a lot of corvette utube videos before I had the guts to dive in. And I have a new cool tool. My grandfather used to make everything with rivets. This was his old toolbox. All custom hand riveted together. I know he was looking down proudly. I really need to repurpose it for daily use somehow.

20210809_182522.jpg

New booster today, finally have brakes again. First drive out of the neighborhood to get gas. Wow does driving this draw attention. Lost my turn signals on the way back. Prob a ground to the led relay.

20210822_113609.jpg

20210822_120502.jpg

20210822_140720.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom