Too Far Gone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The time has come for me to retire my trusty 94. It has been a work horse, wheeling, beaching, camping, hauling and pulling a multitude of things both light and heavy. I don't want to get rid of it, necessarily, but the undercarriage has what I would consider to be heavy Northeast rust damage. I've attached some pics from the rear axle area. While I would like to clean it up and make it a nice occasional overland and weekend warrior vehicle, I don't want to spend time and money on a lost cause.

What does the group think, is the rust underneath too much to bother with?
TIA

IMG_6637.JPG

IMG_6636.JPG

IMG_6635.JPG

IMG_6634.JPG

IMG_6633.JPG

it'll buff out

My 97 450 is/was just about as bad. A needle scaler works great to see just how deep it goes. I only had one area that concerned me and that was a rusted out body over one of the rear mounts. Im having it welded up next week. I cut out the cancer on the rear fenders and rockers...both hidden under cladding. I like the challenge of saving one from the rust belt but I envy you guys with rust-free ones! It sure must be nice not to break off bolts all of the time.
BTW...Ive had mine two years and in that time I have seen ZERO 80 or before series cruisers in my local travel.. Im on the road a lot for work within about 100 miles of Erie, PA. When I visit my son in Seattle I seem them everywhere.
I just finished the rear end on mine and attached a pic. I used the scaler and various wire brushes...then I used a rust converter and Rustoleum. I know there are a lot of options and opinions on rust remediation but thats where I landed. Mine is just for recreation and not a DD so Im hoping to keep ahead of the rust.

IMG-0516.JPG

Rust is personal. Based on where you live, your prior experience with it etc. will all impact how you feel about it and dictate the responses you will see in this thread. In my personal opinion, that is way too much for me to want to put up with and I wouldn't bother. I'd just fluid film the sh*t out of it and turn it into a winter beater, then get a nice clean one for rest of the year/camping duty, but that's just me. I'm sure some Masshole will pop in momentarily and tell me hes seen worse on 1 year old cars.

It looks like the spare tire carrier is toast, but the frame looks like there’s still hope.
But you gotta get on it like yesterday, needlegun, chipping hammer, wire wheel / bunch of the SS brushes & then coat the f*cker with POR15 or whatever you salty guys like for rust-biting paint.

I agree with the other guys. You can still save it but it needs attention, pronto.

I would start with a small hammer and get the big chunks knocked down. Then move into needle scaling and other tools to scrape and remove as much as possible and then start slathering everything in some sort of oil or sheep lanolin product.

Mine wasn't quite that bad, but it was in the ballpark and my truck is pretty clean underneath now. Still not perfect, but I don't serve lunch on it and the rest of the truck is in great shape still.

Get as much loose material off as possible; spray or paint with Ospho; prime, paint, then hit with Fluid Film or WoolWax.

I agree with the other guys. You can still save it but it needs attention, pronto.

I would start with a small hammer and get the big chunks knocked down. Then move into needle scaling and other tools to scrape and remove as much as possible and then start slathering everything in some sort of oil or sheep lanolin product.

Mine wasn't quite that bad, but it was in the ballpark and my truck is pretty clean underneath now. Still not perfect, but I don't serve lunch on it and the rest of the truck is in great shape still.
If you are going to save it, listen to this guy OP. Resident rust expert. Turned a rust bucket into an incredible truck.

If you are going to save it, listen to this guy OP. Resident rust expert. Turned a rust bucket into an incredible truck.
Thanks! To be fair, my truck was unique in the sense that it was really only rusty on the undercarriage because it had mostly been stored for 15 years and was really only used in the summer to drop the PO's yacht in the water and then to drive out to Colorado to stay at their mountain home.

The body and the interior were in better shape than most trucks I have seen to start with. Most of my efforts with rust dealt with removing, and cleaning up sections of parts and the frame as I went. I would still like to do more, but it's good enough now that I just keep spraying it with oil and the rust doesn't spread any more. It's not perfect, but I have no trouble convincing myself to keep maintaining the truck now when things come up.

I think the biggest thing here is if you WANT to do the labor. That’s a lot of sweat for not a ton of return equity.
If you did remove the rust, are you going to continue to drive in the salt and set yourself up for another round of removal.? Underspray it and raise questions later?
Anything can be salvaged, but when it comes to rust, it’s usually not worth your time.

Just my .02

That's totally save-able. You'll be floored what it looks like after needle scaling. But get at it soon. I have the same project almost exactly to get going on.

I think the biggest thing here is if you WANT to do the labor. That’s a lot of sweat for not a ton of return equity.
If you did remove the rust, are you going to continue to drive in the salt and set yourself up for another round of removal.? Underspray it and raise questions later?
Anything can be salvaged, but when it comes to rust, it’s usually not worth your time.

Just my .02
These trucks are not just laying around like they are where you live. Rust is just a part of life in a lot of areas. A lot can be done, but none of the 80s east of Denver are likely to pass muster for someone from San Diego. Just sayin'.

I would at least try some of these ideas if it's still a decent running and driving rig, which it sounds like it is. Will it be a show queen in the future? Nope, but it might still have 10-15 years worth of use in it before it becomes a parts rig. Every one of these that are left have value, either as investments or as reliable transportation and finally for parts.

henrymski: Happy to hear there are some in the area!! I live about 35 miles SE of Erie.
Know anyone local with FZJ parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom