To swap or not to swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after driving the 80 today after an extended period of sitting I realize how gutless my 91 3fe is. Been sitting here doing over ideas on swaps. By swaps I have considered selling my 80 and purchasing a newer cruiser with say the 1fz-fe or keeping my current cruiser and swapping the engine to something more modern. I am capable of performing the swap just lack the time. Is there anyone here in the valley that is recommended to perform the swap? Now what are everyone's pros and cons?

Go to Desert Toy Shop in Mesa, www.deserttoyshop.com, talk to Mike, the owner or Matt, the mechanic who will be doing the swap. Right now they are finishing a white 62 with a crate 6.2 and are re-gearing mine that has a L83 5.3 and 6L80 they did a year and a half ago.
they know what they are doing and how to do it right

565A0961-CD10-464A-918A-9A09D4D093A7.jpeg

BF0D9DBC-54EA-4886-9CDF-1F92194C5135.jpeg

7D37BC64-76E7-4C55-86EC-4E5B47A63FB8.jpeg

CBBEAD0B-C2EC-4C8E-8321-D8F5E1764D8D.jpeg

E9A50497-682D-4F44-837B-16528DA3B024.jpeg

No such thing as a cheap swap, but things worth doing are not cheap. No regrets on my swap from the 1FZ-FE to the 6 liter L96 and 6L80. If you love your 80 and want to keep it, it is fantastic. If you just want more power easy, look for a good 100 series or a GX.

No such thing as a cheap swap, but things worth doing are not cheap. No regrets on my swap from the 1FZ-FE to the 6 liter L96 and 6L80. If you love your 80 and want to keep it, it is fantastic. If you just want more power easy, look for a good 100 series or a GX.
I agree on the cost. Not looking for cheapest route. I my 80 and would only want another 80. I know the 1fz isn't a powerhouse but makes more than my 3fe

Not sure how much more power you're looking for, but the simplest (*not cheapest) swap to a 1FZ-FE, nets you something in this range, and built for the design. As comparison;
Screenshot_20210508-173403.jpg

Screenshot_20210508-173939.jpg

At least swapping to one of the engines Toyota designed for this vehicle, you'd closer to the ethos of the vehicle.

I spent a lot of time thinking about a V8 swap in my 80. It would be nice, but my 1fz isnt that bad and its not that hard to turbo. That's the route i'm going once I finish my other 32 projects...

If I had an 3fe, an LS or 2uz swap would be high on the list.

By the way, I wanted a V8 soild axle cruiser, thats why I decided to solid axle swap an LX470 a while back. Usually suspension is easier than a motor swap, in this case I was wrong... Lol.

This doesn't really contribute to the post, but I've always been a big fan of Toyota'a 4.7L (2UZ) V8 in the 100 Series. My 03 Tundra had it and that was such a smooth driving vehicle even over a decade later when I got my hands on it. I'd love to have a solid axle swapped 100 Series with that engine (Similar to a 105 Series). Although I've heard making that engine work in the 80 Series is a nightmare compared to the Chevy V8 swaps which ultimately result in more power/mpg than the 2UZ. As much as I love the thought of a V8 swapped 80 series, something about having the original 1FZ does it for me (my opinion would probably be much different if I had the 3FE though, I can't imagine having less engine in these heavy pigs). Having said that however, one of my realistic goals is to buy a 40 or 60 Series that has already been swapped with an old V8 and do a modern V8/Transmission swap. That way I don't feel as dirty about "spoiling" an original.

This doesn't really contribute to the post, but I've always been a big fan of Toyota'a 4.7L (2UZ) V8 in the 100 Series. My 03 Tundra had it and that was such a smooth driving vehicle even over a decade later when I got my hands on it. I'd love to have a solid axle swapped 100 Series with that engine (Similar to a 105 Series). Although I've heard making that engine work in the 80 Series is a nightmare compared to the Chevy V8 swaps which ultimately result in more power/mpg than the 2UZ. As much as I love the thought of a V8 swapped 80 series, something about having the original 1FZ does it for me (my opinion would probably be much different if I had the 3FE though, I can't imagine having less engine in these heavy pigs). Having said that however, one of my realistic goals is to buy a 40 or 60 Series that has already been swapped with an old V8 and do a modern V8/Transmission swap. That way I don't feel as dirty about "spoiling" an original.
2uz swaps aren't quite as bad in an 80 when you get an engine/trans from a 100 series. They line up nearly perfect with the a750 trans, but VVTI motors are much harder to wire (especially one out of a 100 series) than the earlier motors. With the 4 speed, the front driveshaft gets even shorter. Definitely great motors, I have 4 non VVTI 2uz trucks right now.... lol.

So, what is the ballpark cost of an LS swap--for a new crate motor, I assume transmission, and labor to do it?
To have a shop do it with crate motor and new xmsn you are looking in the 20s at least. I did mine for about 10k in parts plus a huge number of weekends. I really enjoy garage time so it was fun for me, but it was a massive undertaking.

2uz swaps aren't quite as bad in an 80 when you get an engine/trans from a 100 series. They line up nearly perfect with the a750 trans, but VVTI motors are much harder to wire (especially one out of a 100 series) than the earlier motors. With the 4 speed, the front driveshaft gets even shorter. Definitely great motors, I have 4 non VVTI 2uz trucks right now.... lol.

That makes sense, I've always heard the wiring was the worst part and what ultimately was the deciding factor for using other engine & transmission combos.

To have a shop do it with crate motor and new xmsn you are looking in the 20s at least. I did mine for about 10k in parts plus a huge number of weekends. I really enjoy garage time so it was fun for me, but it was a massive undertaking.
Going to go back through your build for pointers. I would love to do it just not sure if I would ever finish it. I'm great at starting things. It's the finishing things I need to work on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom