To Snorkle or Not to Snorkle? What about the winch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have a Warn M1200 winch mounted on the front in an ARB Winch Bumper. Considering having a snorkel installed but..........:eek:.......what about that winch. According to the Warn manual you are not supposed to "submerge" the winch. If you do, you are supposed to send it back to the factory for service.:bang:

OK, so if that is true, and I am not willing to submerge by winch because ----lets face it ----- disconnecting the winch, sending it back to the factory for service and then re-installing it would be a huge pain in the neck. So, if I am not willing to submerge my winch, then the winch becomes my high water mark for the truck (which is just above the top of the tires – about 8 inches above the bottom edge of the door) -----bummer-----reality, sucks sometimes.:doh:

If the winch is the high water mark, then is there any point to having a snorkel installed?:hmm:

If you submerge the winch, just put it in freespool and run the motor to dry it out. Also run the line in a couple of times to run the gear box.

Simply adding a snorkel adds nothing to the rigs fording ability. There are lots of other things that need to be addressed, will stop/damage/total the rig/motor/etc long before a snorkel is needed. The stock intake system is well setup for fording, it's good to the door handles or with a proper bow wave onto the hood before risking water into the air intake. On my rig that is over 4' of water!

Most are not going to risk the rig with that depth crossings. When water is on the doors and any problem happens (stuck, stalled, etc) there is only a few minutes before the interior is filled. This causes lots of problems and most insurance co's now will total a rig that gets water inside.

A snorkel will slightly reduce air intake temp at cruise, maybe slightly increasing HP, maybe. They slightly reduce dust load on the air filter. Other than that they are great bling, I hear "chicks" dig them, but have never seen any evidence?:hillbilly:

As a snorkel owner I agree a lot more items need to be address if you plan to forge water. FWIW A snorkel would not of helped the guy in the picture any. The cause of the engine not running was not intake related. Chicks do dig snorkels...ask any owner:D
sunk.jpg

As a snorkel owner I agree a lot more items need to be address if you plan to forge water. FWIW A snorkel would not of helped the guy in the picture any. The cause of the engine not running was not intake related. Chicks do dig snorkels...ask any owner:D

What was the cause??

I don't know man, the picture clearly shows the guy without the snorkel stuck in the water and the guy with the snorkel high and dry, tuggin him out. Looks like simple logic to me.;p

did you really will put yourself in a situation that you need the snorkel .? we do use it here due nature of our kind of offroad ..

How much cost a SAfari snorkel those days ?

unless you are going through deep water on a regular basis I think a snorkle is a waste
I would find things that you really need to spend your money on
just my 2 cents

if you are going into situations where you may/will need the snorkel then you should be ready to use the winch as well... if you dont want to go higher than the winch then there is no need for a snorkel as the intake is higher than your winch. if you really want to keep that winch out of water then add lift...

I see winches go in and through water all the time, just make sure you free spool them and dry after wheeling.

IMHO a snorkle is just about the last mod to do unless you "need" it.

It's on my list but i'm not rushing out to buy one before my list is almost finished.

In fact the only thing on my list that comes up after buying a snorkle is an engine swap.

What was the cause??

I don't know man, the picture clearly shows the guy without the snorkel stuck in the water and the guy with the snorkel high and dry, tuggin him out. Looks like simple logic to me.;p

Its me in the black truck with the snorkel and if I was leading chances are I would of had the same problem.

It ended up being a couple of items once out of the water but it stopped running first due to the distributor filling with water because of the vent holes in the distributor body.

Again there are several things one should address prior to a snorkel if you plan to do deep forging.

Its me in the black truck with the snorkel and if I was leading chances are I would of had the same problem.

It ended up being a couple of items once out of the water but it stopped running first due to the distributor filling with water because of the vent holes in the distributor body.

Again there are several things one should address prior to a snorkel if you plan to do deep forging.

I would say there is a problem there with that. Most likely driver error on a water crossing.
I've gone through water as deep as that and a 3FE dizzy sits lower than a 1FZ.

I have however done a 2 footer wrong and got my dizzy wet and stalled out for 45 seconds.

I would say there is a problem there with that. Most likely driver error on a water crossing.

I have however done a 2 footer wrong and got my dizzy wet and stalled out for 45 seconds.

It stalled sitting stuck in the water not from just contact. Every distributer I have worked with is vented, 1FZ included and unless remote vent is install if its under water it will fill up.

Look closely at the picture the guy hooking up the strap in the rear is standing in less then 4" of water. A shelf made of sand gave away up front, backing up was not possible even locked. Wheeling in creeks in AZ can offer some big surprises. Depths can change very fast out here.

The 3F distributor is sealed and vented. The 1FZ is not.

Mark...

It stalled sitting stuck in the water not from just contact. Every distributer I have worked with is vented, 1FZ included and unless remote vent is install if its under water it will fill up.

The 3FE and 2Fs after '77 had remote vents. The 1FV just has a hole in the distributor

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom