to DIY or not to DIY, that is the question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a couple of leaks that needs to be taken care of, but would like to know if they are DIY doable and what kind of degree of difficulty am I looking at? if i were to take the DIY route, because I got a quote of $5,500-6000 to fix them.

And would like to save some $$$ and put that money to something else for the rig on my over landing conversion.

- The engine oil pan gasket

-distributor timing seal

- A/T oil cooler line

- Transmission fluid hose leaking

and

- oil pump cover gasket

if they're definitely DIY's projects, I would be greatly appreciated if you guys could provide me with any type of resources and if any special tools are needed.

thanks ahead.

Have a couple of leaks that needs to be taken care of, but would like to know if they are DIY doable and what kind of degree of difficulty am I looking at? if i were to take the DIY route, because I got a quote of $5,500-6000 to fix them.

And would like to save some $$$ and put that money to something else for the rig on my over landing conversion.

- The engine oil pan gasket

-distributor timing seal

- A/T oil cooler line

- Transmission fluid hose leaking

and

- oil pump cover gasket

if they're definitely DIY's projects, I would be greatly appreciated if you guys could provide me with any type of resources and if any special tools are needed.

thanks ahead.
Completely DIY; that pricing is insane unless you have a LOT more money than time. You can find all the info and videos you need here and on YouTube; be sure to add otramm and texasknowhow to your YT search terms. And use Toyota parts whenever possible. Take photos of EVERYTHING, BEFORE you take it apart, at every step AS you're taking it apart--and refer back to them when you put things back together (which you should ALSO photograph). One caveat: when someone who's used to doing this stuff says it takes them an hour? Plan on five. (Ask me how I know...) NEXT time it'll take you an hour. :)

Last edited:
I want to make that kind of money from fixing 80 series leaks. o_O

Parts plus tools don't even come close to that. Now, if you add in all of the "while I'm in there" items....that's a different story :D

The upper oil pan is really the only "difficult" task as it requires you lift the engine a couple of inches to clear the obstacles. Also the oil pans require FIPG and are not a physical gasket. Suggest you add the valve cover gasket and the spark plug oil seals to your list.

Either pay someone else to learn on your rig or pay yourself to learn.

$5k???? That's truly insane.
I've done all those jobs except the oil pan gasket and I'm a certified idiot.
I think I've got about 1500 in a near total (its never done is it?) Engine refresh. I never paid anyone to do any of it . I made some mistakes and learned a ton about land cruisers and car maintenance in general. Of course I used this forum extensively and a few yt channels and they were priceless.

You're probably not giving yourself enough credit.
Just start with a couple smaller jobs yourself and take it from there. Search and read this entire forum, odds are you don't need to start a new thread no Matter what issue you're having.

I got a quote of $5,500-6000 to fix them.
At that price its one of two things (three if their thieves).
1. they don't want to do it and their trying to make you go away (it worked).
2. Due to the age and mileage of the vehicle, they don't want the bottomless pit of "Ever since". Ever since you changed my gasket now I have this problem. "IF" they do want to do it, it will be a complete engine reseal and head work.

If I got that in my shop, it would have been all or nothing. You would be surprised how often people would ask for just one thing then try to burn me on things later.

At that price its one of two things (three if their thieves).
1. they don't want to do it and their trying to make you go away (it worked).
2. Due to the age and mileage of the vehicle, they don't want the bottomless pit of "Ever since". Ever since you changed my gasket now I have this problem. "IF" they do want to do it, it will be a complete engine reseal and head work.

If I got that in my shop, it would have been all or nothing. You would be surprised how often people would ask for just one thing then try to burn me on things later.
"You changed my valve cover gasket but my car is still leaking!!! Did you really even do anything I want my money back!!"

"Sir, like I mentioned, the valve cover gasket is not your only leak, your oil pum-"

"YOURE A LIAR THIS IS AN OBVIOUS TACTIC ENJOY YOUR 1 STAR REVIEW!!!!"

"I AM SICK OF YOUR TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACTICS."

Yep

My '97 sits out on the "Nice concrete driveway" right now with zero leaks.. All DIY and all following threads on this forum. I used all OEM parts/seals as I went.

When I first bought it about 7 years ago it was nicknamed the S.S. Valdez by all the POs co-workers; you could clearly see where he parked every day!!

Go for it and worst case is you'll learn something.

Get the vessel screwdrivers for the oil pump gasket. Best money ever. I’ve used those on each generation of cruiser I have Owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom