TIRES (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 80. I want new tires. I only use it to go to/from work and back and to the mall. Do you suggest the BF Goodrich AT or are they a little too aggressive for street use. thanks

Welcome to the mud.
Don't know about the tires but don't let anyone know you go to the mall with your 80 :slap:

Michelin LTX 275/70/16

A very fine tire for a hiway operated vehicle. Very difficult to improve upon. It is an all-season tire with an excelent ride and it is very quiet.

D-

I ran the BFG AT on my minitruck for a few years....no complaints. Good in snow and rain, sold the truck with them on so no longevity info.

Heard good on the LTX as well..

I also suggest the AT's. I very fine tire. what size in good on an 80 though. i might be getting my moms 80 next year when my older brother take my 40 to college. my parents said i could do a little to the 80 like tires, winch, bullbar. nevertheless what size tire would you suggest? stock size or bigger.

Ask around and acquire everyone else's leftover stock tires. Hard to beat the LTX for street use, but it's an expensive tire to buy new. The AT goes pretty well in rain and snow, but get it siped.

bfg at's are a good all around tire, IMO they are a decent street tire and will give you some offroad capabilities. Seeing mallcruisers with street tires makes me sad, but to each their own :D I think the bfg's will do the trick, and they last a long time.

If you dont have much of a commute could get some swampers, hey you might use them some day.

Not swampers, but Im currently running the Interco truxxus mt's on my 80 and am happy with how theyre performing on the highway, snow, mud, ice, etc. Have had some snow packed roads recently and theyre doing nicely. Only $118 for a 31x10.50
and only a little more noise than a bfg.

i have the bfg At's. they are just fine for street use and give offroad ability and in snow. They are fairly quiet too. However, pure street tires like the ltx will be quieter and better on clear asphalt.

ExploderGuy,

>> I only use it to go to/from work <<

Depends on where work is. :D

The BFG A/T ko is a decent combo tyre with very good tread life. If work is high speed commuting then it will be a little noisier than the LTX.

Do you have snow? ... rain? ...how far is the daily commute? ... ever go camping or fishing?

-B-

E.G.

The BFG T/A ko is a great tire on the road. I do a lot of freeway driving on mine and don't even notice any additional noise vs the LTX's that I replaced.

If you want a pure stock look - go for the Michelins.

If you want to improve the look of your Landcruiser - go for the BFG's.

BTW...Explorer?Guy Not the Ford I hope. Welcome :flipoff2: I see that Mr Wulf already renamed you.

Ed

Sounded like a ringer post to me.... ::)

FWIW

Consumer Reports did a review on SUV tires in late 2001. For All Terrain, the only tires to receive an "Excellent" overall score were Dayton Timberline AT and Bridgestone Dueler AT 693. For All Season, four tires were "Excellent", Toyo M410 Open Country Radial, BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A, Bridgestone Dueler H/L, Yokohama Geolandar HT. Don't know if the BFG AT KOs were tested - they weren't listed though. Take it with a grain of salt - they have their own set of criteria to base these scores on that probably aren't weighted the same as you might.

Mike

I am removing my 265/70-16 bridgstone duellers in a week or so off my '94 and would sell for $175. These are great tires with lots of tread but I am going with BFG M/Ts with my lift. I like the BFG A/Ts and have(no one will believe this) put 100,000 miles on one set of these tires on a Cherokee. I don't recommend anyone do this but the tread lasts forever. The internals of the tire start seperating and are hard to keep in balance. There was more than 2/32 tread when I replaced them!

My wife has run 31x10.50 BFG A/T ko's on her '88 FJ62 for several years now and about 40k miles. They still have a LOT of tread left and don't look worn at all. Those tires wear like iron. I expect another 20k miles at least out of them. I'm going to put a set on my 2000 Tacoma X-cab commuter. I like 'em.

Jody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom