Tire report - Yokohama MT G003 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

James Bentley

SILVER Star
Threads
Took the LX to AZ on a 2600 mi round trip.
Mostly highway, but got to go to KOFA and other areas and engage 4Low and Diff lock for a few climbs/descents.
Of note is a few chunks seen in similar tread block area of all 4 tires.
With roof rack, road noise from tires is no big deal at highway speeds and most other lower speeds = not bad at all.
So far, still pleased with the rugged looks of a MT and seems pretty quiet overall.
285/65/18
I did run 42 psi and did NOT air down for any offroad = lazy bum
I probably had about 5,000 street mi prior to the trip on these tires (1 rotation F-t-R)
#DiscountTire

1617409196591.png

1617409251777.png

1617409283410.png

1617409332650.png

KOFA = unforgiving sharp rocks that will slash any tire. My Coopers chunked really bad when I went there.

I've had my Geolandar G003 (285/75/18) mounted for a week or so now. Came from Nitto trail grapplers. So far, they're good. They look very similar. The Yokos definitely produce a bit more road noise than the outgoing Nittos. They also seem to flex a bit more and make more noise when cornering. They were also significantly cheaper. Haven't tried them off road but plan to this weekend.

Thanks for the feedback, I have narrowed down my choices to Yokohama MT G003s and Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 295/70R18s. The price on the G003s are enticing. Since you got these from Discount Tire which where I will be getting mine as well, was there any issues minor/major during balancing?

G003 being a MT and the Ridge Grappler being an AT its apples and oranges

If you daily your truck- get the AT. While the G003 is a very good trail tire and behaves well on the road they are noisier, heavier and you’ll chew more fuel. Mine balance well with clip on weights. But not optimal for commuter use.

Thanks for the feedback, I have narrowed down my choices to Yokohama MT G003s and Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 295/70R18s. The price on the G003s are enticing. Since you got these from Discount Tire which where I will be getting mine as well, was there any issues minor/major during balancing?
I agree with @abuck99 apples to oranges comparison.
With my G003's, As soon as I pulled out of Discount Tire parking lot, I knew I had mud tires (1-3 MPH). The big lugs make noise and can be felt. It's not bad, but it is there. If these wear out or age out, I am likely to buy again. The traction and looks are worth it to me for the increase in noise or loss of MPG over an AT tire (mine are E-rated).
For Discount or anywhere you buy, there should not be a crazy amount of wheel weights for new tires. The balance and weights have not been an issue (I've not yet felt the need to use the lifetime balance warranty and I rotate and service my rig in my driveway). My rig sits a week or two (I try to commute on Fridays and get out on the weekend to the store = not every outing is an Overlanding Trip) and I do notice a bit of flat spot that goes away after 5-10 min/miles (I consider that to be normal).

G003 being a MT and the Ridge Grappler being an AT its apples and oranges

If you daily your truck- get the AT. While the G003 is a very good trail tire and behaves well on the road they are noisier, heavier and you’ll chew more fuel. Mine balance well with clip on weights. But not optimal for commuter use.
I agree they are definitely two different tires. On a side note I failed to mention that I don’t daily it but, when I use it, it’s 99% on the black top. And although both weigh almost identical I know that the G003 has higher (I may be wrong?) rolling resistance than the RGs bec of the bigger lugs so yes I expect the mpg will drop and that’s one trade off I guess I am prepared.
With my G003's, As soon as I pulled out of Discount Tire parking lot, I knew I had mud tires (1-3 MPH). The big lugs make noise and can be felt. It's not bad, but it is there.
Thanks for this, this description is what I was hoping to get, this gives me a better perspective on the road noise. I’ve had Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs and Nitto TGs in the past so I am familiar with a mud tire noise.

My rig sits a week or two (I try to commute on Fridays and get out on the weekend to the store = not every outing is an Overlanding Trip) and I do notice a bit of flat spot that goes away after 5-10 min/miles (I consider that to be normal).
This made me curious, at what tire pressure do you leave the LX parked for that span of time? Do you think added weight is a factor here (overlanding gear) ?

I agree they are definitely two different tires. On a side note I failed to mention that I don’t daily it but, when I use it, it’s 99% on the black top. And although both weigh almost identical I know that the G003 has higher (I may be wrong?) rolling resistance than the RGs bec of the bigger lugs so yes I expect the mpg will drop and that’s one trade off I guess I am prepared.

Thanks for this, this description is what I was hoping to get, this gives me a better perspective on the road noise. I’ve had Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs and Nitto TGs in the past so I am familiar with a mud tire noise.

This made me curious, at what tire pressure do you leave the LX parked for that span of time? Do you think added weight is a factor here (overlanding gear) ?
To the G003's credit and maybe my alignment, I do not have that crazy loud...hear it a block away or highway howl.
(think worn out "Buckshot Mudders" on any rig with a bad alignment)
My tire psi is around 42 for MPG and 20 psi via Staun when offroad (Morrflate and Viair to air back up).
It is my opinion based on some experience that given enough time sitting, a temporary flat spot and even wheel imbalance may exist for a very short while.
Sometimes felt in the vehicle or heard as excessive/slightly more noise that goes away.
Some tires are more sensitive to develop flat spots than others.
IMO, all will do it to a certain extent.
I do not feel vehicle weigh in my case is as big a contributor as time sitting parked (on a concrete driveway).
My "SWAG" is that with the jump seats removed and passenger side "40" of the 60/40 2nd row seats removed, my gear probably evens out to stock weight.
Cheers!

Nice. I'm happy with my G003s and all my neighbors like how they look. I went with 255/85/16 pizza cutters on the stock wheels. Definitely increased tire noise, but not too bad. Balance is good. I lost just over 1 mpg (hwy) on average (up to 14.5 vs 16ish on the stockers) Each wheel/tire is about 20lbs heavier than the stock size Michelins weigh in at. I only ran them for a few thousand miles before putting my second wheel/tire set of stockers back on. I only plan on running them on the trails.

G003 - I’m running 36psi back/ 34psi front around town. Bump them up a little more for long highway trips. 18-20psi on trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom